U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM

87 posts, read 305,592 times

Advertisements

Have any of you gone into a real estate joint venture? If so, how did you seek out the partner, and what advice would you give?

I am in search for a joint venture partner, and just need some direction on where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM

3,553 posts, read 7,214,283 times
What kind of RE investment are you looking to get into?

What do YOU bring to the mix? Strategy? Money?

WHY do you need a partner?

I've been investing in RE for 30 years, a few times with partners. On a couple of those I'd have gladly given up a lot of my profit to have NEVER GONE INTO THE DEAL with that partner.

Let us know what you're looking for. There are a lot of RE investment websites out there.

golfgod

Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,582,990 times
The landlord for our office building is in a sticky situation with his 'partner' right now. Our landlord owns several buildings on his own but our particular building is a joint venture. His 'partner' hasn't put in a dime for upkeep, mortgage, etc. for over 2 years. He is not letting the building go into forclosure because his 'partner' won't do anything. He offered the 'partner' a buyout and he refused?? Our landlord is going to buy back the building after it forecloses. So, a short story long, pick your partners very carefully!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM

3,553 posts, read 7,214,283 times
And have a "pre-nup" in the form of a buy-sell agreement. That could have prevented this. Although with this J hole he'd have probably had to go to court to force the sale, but it would've been cheaper than what he's got and will have!

golfgod

Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM

857 posts, read 4,632,298 times
My advice is... Don't do it! Try to limit yourself to real estate ventures that you can do on your own. The flaw in partnerships is that 90% of the time both partners feel that they are bringing more to the table than their partner is.
It is better to work on a smaller scale project that you can afford to do by yourself than to have a partner that will inevitably feel like they are contributing more than you and you will feel the same about them.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 AM

To Answer golfgod's question... We would be bringing the "in" to the resort project... (the developer is very selective on builders), we would also handle all logisitcs of the building process. (Under 500k) Basically we are looking for a monetary contribution for the project... the investor can either be silent, or involved. We would structure it so there is absolutely no question who is doing what... and who gets what. The investor(s) would make a higher percentage than the builder.

The project itself is very very strong with a good amount of pre-sales. I won't mention it by name because I'm not sure I can on this forum, but it has a Jack Nicklaus golf course, a 13 mile reservoir, equestion center, mountain biking, the list goes on.

We really feel that this is a good move to make.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 PM

I just got pricing back from the developer on this project and was able to put some #'s to paper.
Would any of you be willing to look at what I am proposing for an investor(s) and see if it looks sound? PM me if you can help.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics