Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse Stagflation or deflation with equally high unemployment levels
Stagflation with 10% or higher unemployment 9 69.23%
Deflation with 10% or higher unemployment 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 02:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Well generally for the whole economy high unemployment is bad for anyone.

Some say the joys of deflation is so bad because it leads to contraction of economy and job losses. And that may be true.

But without a doubt, extremely high inflation (Stagflation) that causes high unemployment is far far far worse than deflation for sure.

I mean with deflation we just have high unemployment, but people with money gain purchasing power and at least do not lose it.

With high inflation and high unemployment, we have an employment problem just as bad and people with save cash the value of it is eroding very fast. SO far far worse than deflation.

Now you could make the argument high inflation with low unemployment and lots of jobs is not as bad as deflation and high unemployment/job losses. As people at least still have jobs.

But I do not see how anyone could believe severe inflation which high job losses is better than severe deflation with high job losses.

I know right now we have high inflation and do not have high unemployment at least not yet, but this question is a hypothetical scenario.
Stagflation - is more about persistence of inflation, it does not mean "extremely high".

The classic definition of Stagflation is stagnant economic growth and persistent inflation - from investopedia.com

Quote:
Stagflation is characterized by slow economic growth and relatively high unemployment—or economic stagnation—which is at the same time accompanied by rising prices (i.e., inflation). Stagflation can be alternatively defined as a period of inflation combined with a decline in the gross domestic product (GDP).
Deflation is about price declines - very rare - often accompanied by massive unemployment and other impacts - from investopedia.com

Quote:
Deflation is a general decline in prices for goods and services, typically associated with a contraction in the supply of money and credit in the economy. During deflation, the purchasing power of currency rises over time.
In general deflation is far worse. 10% job loss is not massive job loss expected under deflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 05:01 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
I highly doubt that. The largest consumer debt is a mortgage for mist consumers. And home prices have set record after record highs partly because of ZIRP. SO debt levels have actually increased.

Unless you do not count mortgage debt as consumer debt because you can sel the home and get back what you owe or more usually??

But it is debt to me almost the same.
Consumer debt covers things that are consumed and do not appreciate normally. Mortgage debt is a separate item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics