Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Hmmm, are these self inflicted choices a $5 latte and a tattoo…? You know, the usual tripe?

Look at a federal reserve report on wealth by generation and they will answer the question objectively that it wasn’t just “personal choices” that lead to millennials having 1/5 as much wealth as the boomers at the same age….but sure maybe it was that vacation they took that one time in college.
Grouping a generation such as Boomers is too general of information. There is a whole thread about this regarding early boomers vs. later boomers. "Generation Jones versus being a boomer" The differences are night and day. Seemed those born before 1955 were the real boomers. After that, although still classified as boomers a large portion of us were screwed. Not all, there are success stories. It's never 100% or everyone.

Like millennials and even younger, You're screwed. I wont stand on a high horse and say wah wah, the sky is falling, or quit whining and get to work. No. Straight up- you are screwed. Again, there will be success stories but for most, it's gonna be tough. Similar to those entering the job market in the early 70's as I said before and happening again as we reach retirement age.

Might want to learn to be happy with nothing as this thread title states. Forget the 3 br. house/2 car garage/white picket fence and pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 02:37 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Exactly. A nurse, teacher or rookie cop would not be able to buy a home in my county unless they were a two-income family.

So it is not just "lazy" people or those who don't bother to get an education that are struggling. Everyone knows real estate costs have risen far faster than wages.

20 years ago, I paid $600 in rent.
Last month, this very same apartment was $2,200; wages have not gone up 350% over the course of 2 decades.
Back in the 90's I made $15/hr working retail, 30 years later they're paying roughly $23 at Target.
All the numbers support your comments.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:54 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Grouping a generation such as Boomers is too general of information. There is a whole thread about this regarding early boomers vs. later boomers. "Generation Jones versus being a boomer" The differences are night and day. Seemed those born before 1955 were the real boomers. After that, although still classified as boomers a large portion of us were screwed. Not all, there are success stories. It's never 100% or everyone.

Like millennials and even younger, You're screwed. I wont stand on a high horse and say wah wah, the sky is falling, or quit whining and get to work. No. Straight up- you are screwed. Again, there will be success stories but for most, it's gonna be tough. Similar to those entering the job market in the early 70's as I said before and happening again as we reach retirement age.

Might want to learn to be happy with nothing as this thread title states. Forget the 3 br. house/2 car garage/white picket fence and pension.
I know a lot of millennials and a few Zoomers. None of them are screwed. The hard truth is the top socioeconomic half of boomers are fine. The bottom half are the greatest underachievers in our history......the bifurcation is all about education or not and skills or not. Drugs, suicide, fear of marriage, fear of kids, fear of career etc. define the bottom half.

How many threads do we need to read about some 25-40yo who has passed up a promotion(s) or quit a good job for gig work so he can hike all the time etc.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
20 years ago, I paid $600 in rent.
Last month, this very same apartment was $2,200; wages have not gone up 350% over the course of 2 decades.
Back in the 90's I made $15/hr working retail, 30 years later they're paying roughly $23 at Target.
All the numbers support your comments.
With respect that's a risk of renting and working retail.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I know a lot of millennials and a few Zoomers. None of them are screwed. The hard truth is the top socioeconomic half of boomers are fine. The bottom half are the greatest underachievers in our history......the bifurcation is all about education or not and skills or not. Drugs, suicide, fear of marriage, fear of kids, fear of career etc. define the bottom half.

How many threads do we need to read about some 25-40yo who has passed up a promotion(s) or quit a good job for gig work so he can hike all the time etc.
I did say there will be some success stories-

As far as promotion, to listen to some wad tell you to bend over a little more OR go on a hike ?
Well, you got to get your priorities right and if going on a hike is going to make you happy - Go hiking

Really don't need the 'I got mine crowd' dishing out their definition of success as if it's from the voice of god.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:

As far as promotion, to listen to some wad tell you to bend over a little more OR go on a hike ?
Well, you got to get your priorities right and if going on a hike is going to make you happy - Go hiking

Really don't need the 'I got mine crowd' dishing out their definition of success as if it's from the voice of god.
And I don't need the, "I've been screwed over by bad timing and boomers" crowd opting out like no generation ever, as you imply in the second and third lines above, complaining that the self selected opportunity costs of those decisions are the fault of others.

Pass on the promotion and take the trip, experience the waterfall, Pfeiffer Beach, Road to Hana, nude hike around Annapurna - whatever but don't complain about the ramifications - lost wages, hopping off the career ladder etc. later.

You bunch are expert at causing or worsening your own problems and then finger-pointing. It's pointless, aimless and sometimes dumb and you will pay for it in the end.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:42 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,252 times
Quote:
And I don't need the, "I've been screwed over by bad timing and boomers" crowd opting out like no generation ever, as you imply in the second and third lines above, complaining that the self selected opportunity costs of those decisions are the fault of others.

Pass on the promotion and take the trip, experience the waterfall, Pfeiffer Beach, Road to Hana, nude hike around Annapurna - whatever but don't complain about the ramifications - lost wages, hopping off the career ladder etc. later.

You bunch are expert at causing or worsening your own problems and then finger-pointing. It's pointless, aimless and sometimes dumb and you will pay for it in the end.
You really have no shame do you?

Old 05-03-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
You really have no shame do you?
The truth negates all shame.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:45 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,252 times
Quote:

He is a Banker. Just ignore him since everything he says is a LIE. His job here is to deceive the public and tell you how never ending inflation and high prices are good for you.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:46 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
With respect that's a risk of renting and working retail.

I feel you're missing the point, 30 years ago I could support myself in my 20's, working retail; while getting educated for a better profession.
The opportunities I had are no longer available, or at a minimum; greatly diminished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics