Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 12:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
SW emailed me the gift card, which is tied to my email address, so I would think that it’s proof I’m the owner of the gift card.
You could have always given the gift card to someone else and now changed your mind. It being sent to your email isn’t proof of anything. Again the is basic retail gift card handling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 10:41 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Hey all, requesting some advice on a “stolen” gift card

So my sister bought me a $500 gift card for Southwest last year for my bday and Southwest emailed an electronic gift card to me.

I tried using it last week booking a flight but the phone agent told me it had zero balance. Upon further inquiries the agent told me it was used by someone. She was able to provide the name of the person, when it was booked (March 2022), and the date of the flight (July 2022). She was able to provide any other details (ie. to/from location, phone, etc) and issued me a case number for customer relations to deal with.

Received Southwest email today stating

Dear XXXX,
We're sorry that you are frustrated with the terms and conditions surrounding Southwest gift cards and that we are unable to send an additional gift card.

Due to the terms and conditions of our Southwest gift cards, we do not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed Southwest gift cards. We're sorry to disappoint you. While we are unable to respond favorably to your request, we trust that you can understand our position.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope to merit your consideration when you are planning future trips.

Sincerely,
Sara Mota
Southwest Airlines

How generic was that response! What are my options? Obviously they have this person info and cancel his booking due to fraud. Or how do I know if it wasn’t a Southwest error when they issued the gift card, they could have mistakenly issued duplicate card number?

But the flight hasn't happened yet.............why not report it as fraud?

Old 05-12-2022, 07:19 PM

269 posts, read 181,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
But the flight hasn't happened yet.............why not report it as fraud?
Yes exactly! Waiting for someone from SW relations to call me within their “10-12 business days “, which is early next week. Pending that, I will takes actions with small court claims or something. $500 is $500.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Yes exactly! Waiting for someone from SW relations to call me within their “10-12 business days “, which is early next week. Pending that, I will takes actions with small court claims or something. $500 is $500.

I still think you should file a police report ASAP to show you feel it was really stolen.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:15 AM

269 posts, read 181,089 times
Finally got a call back today, on a Sunday, from SW customer relations, and say they will transfer the case to their gift card department to investigate. Hopefully hear something in a week. Sigh, lol

Old 05-19-2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Finally got a call back today, on a Sunday, from SW customer relations, and say they will transfer the case to their gift card department to investigate. Hopefully hear something in a week. Sigh, lol

I can't imagine how pissed you are. Have you tried filing a police report about the theft? I would

You also may even be able to file something with the federal government with one of those fraud reporters. If I think of the exact site I'll come back and post it.

Let us know how you make out. This should have been taken care of fairly easily when you originally reported it. They know who used your gift card. That flight booking should be put on hold while they investigate.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:26 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:

So my sister bought me a $500 gift card for Southwest last year for my bday and Southwest emailed an electronic gift card to me.

I tried using it last week booking a flight but the phone agent told me it had zero balance. Upon further inquiries the agent told me it was used by someone. She was able to provide the name of the person, when it was booked (March 2022), and the date of the flight (July 2022).
Hmmm, surprised they gave you the name. Confidentialty would prevent that.

Quote:
Terms and conditions as posted under the gift card:

A Southwest gift card is not replaceable if lost, stolen, or destroyed.

^ https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...onditions.html

I get your frustration. I am always leery of gift cards. Not sure how you could "win" in small court claims if the conditions are posted when you or someone purchases the gift card.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hmmm, surprised they gave you the name. Confidentialty would prevent that.

Terms and conditions as posted under the gift card:

A Southwest gift card is not replaceable if lost, stolen, or destroyed.

^ https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...onditions.html

I get your frustration. I am always leery of gift cards. Not sure how you could "win" in small court claims if the conditions are posted when you or someone purchases the gift card.

Good find.

I think if it got stolen, then used by someone where it was reported as stolen by the OP that SouthWest should be held liable for it. The OP's gift card number was just used when they originally called, the agent is able to see a name and flight information for the person that used this stolen card. They could put a hold on that itinerary while it gets looked into. Easy enough to contact the person to see if they had a valid gift card number that they entered wrong which could have happened.

Think about how many employees that could probably easily steal these electronic gift cards, then sell them to people.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:55 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:

I tried using it last week booking a flight but the phone agent told me it had zero balance. Upon further inquiries the agent told me it was used by someone. She was able to provide the name of the person, when it was booked (March 2022), and the date of the flight (July 2022). She was able to provide any other details (ie. to/from location, phone, etc) and issued me a case number for customer relations to deal with.

Received Southwest email today stating

Dear XXXX,
We're sorry that you are frustrated with the terms and conditions surrounding Southwest gift cards and that we are unable to send an additional gift card.

Due to the terms and conditions of our Southwest gift cards, we do not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed Southwest gift cards. We're sorry to disappoint you. While we are unable to respond favorably to your request, we trust that you can understand our position.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope to merit your consideration when you are planning future trips.

Sincerely,
Sara Mota
Southwest Airlines

How generic was that response! What are my options? Obviously they have this person info and cancel his booking due to fraud. Or how do I know if it wasn’t a Southwest error when they issued the gift card, they could have mistakenly issued duplicate card number?
It doesn't matter if it's generic response or not.

ALL gift cards come with a "free" loss/destroyed "can't help you" response.
It's up to YOU to guard and use the gift card.
Also "gift cards" tend to be "payable to/redeemable by BEARER".
meaning anyone who has the codes ( the "bearer") can use it.

As you have the information on who used it, where and when, you need to file a police report with that information.

But don't be surprised if the police don't bother to help you either.

Next time, have your sister MAIL you an insured registered letter with the actual card in it. You'll have to sign for it.

Then scratch off the code on the back ONLY at the airport ticket counter and redeem it then.

If they only deal electronically, then you risk it being compromised.

I would file a police report anyway, in case other of your info is compromised. At least then you have a starting point.

Or have your sister send you a check or money order.

Otherwise, you're SOL.

best

Old 05-19-2022, 06:32 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
police won't take a report on this other than to say you reported it. They won't investigate this. This is between you and SW airlines and their statement about lost or stolen cards seems to relieve them of responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics