Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:38 PM

269 posts, read 181,531 times

Advertisements

Hey all, requesting some advice on a “stolen” gift card

So my sister bought me a $500 gift card for Southwest last year for my bday and Southwest emailed an electronic gift card to me.

I tried using it last week booking a flight but the phone agent told me it had zero balance. Upon further inquiries the agent told me it was used by someone. She was able to provide the name of the person, when it was booked (March 2022), and the date of the flight (July 2022). She was able to provide any other details (ie. to/from location, phone, etc) and issued me a case number for customer relations to deal with.

Received Southwest email today stating

Dear XXXX,
We're sorry that you are frustrated with the terms and conditions surrounding Southwest gift cards and that we are unable to send an additional gift card.

Due to the terms and conditions of our Southwest gift cards, we do not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed Southwest gift cards. We're sorry to disappoint you. While we are unable to respond favorably to your request, we trust that you can understand our position.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope to merit your consideration when you are planning future trips.

Sincerely,
Sara Mota
Southwest Airlines

How generic was that response! What are my options? Obviously they have this person info and cancel his booking due to fraud. Or how do I know if it wasn’t a Southwest error when they issued the gift card, they could have mistakenly issued duplicate card number?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-09-2022 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 06:27 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
OP, I think you need to go to someone higher up in the Southwest company. Your card was not "lost, stolen, or destroyed." It appears to me that somewhere along the line someone entered data incorrectly, perhaps transposing some numbers. Because you still have the original card and you've had it in your possession all along, I'd think the company could figure out what happened and see to it that the value of your card is restored. As you mentioned, Southwest would have the name and other identifying info re: whoever purchased tickets with your number. If the purchaser still has their own card, perhaps they could compare the number with yours and discover that a clerical error was made.

Perhaps some of our other members will have some advice for you.

Good luck!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:58 PM

Thanks PJ, good suggestions. I’m expecting someone from SW to call me in a few days. Just a little peeved from their generic response.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Since it was an "E" card, it's also possible someone had access to your computer or email and was able to abscond with the info and use it. E cards can be given away like a physical card (I can order a dozen E or physical cards under my name to be sent to me and I can give those to anyone I like) so SWA has no real way to know if it was stolen or you gave it to someone and now claiming it was stolen.

I think you need to do a PJSaturn said by going higher up the food chain to reach someone who will look into the situation. You may need to reach out to the press as well if you have a local consumer reporter who steps in on these issues. However, E-cards are like cash so unless SWA can find something wrong, it's a bearer's instrument.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:59 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I’d be surprised if SW did anything about it. I’m not sure how sw would differentiate between you and who used the gift cards in terms of ownership at the time of use. Sounds terrible but like the poster above me said it’s treated much like cash

Old 05-10-2022, 03:04 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
Thanks PJ, good suggestions. I’m expecting someone from SW to call me in a few days. Just a little peeved from their generic response.
That sort of initial "generic" response probably resolves the majority of complaints about non-functional cards from people who failed to read the fine print. Doesn't sound like you are one of those. File the response for your records and pursue it. Hope things work out!

Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’d be surprised if SW did anything about it. I’m not sure how sw would differentiate between you and who used the gift cards in terms of ownership at the time of use. Sounds terrible but like the poster above me said it’s treated much like cash
Well they can distinguish just by looking into the person that used the card to book an upcoming flight and cancel his reservation. Anyways, the only SW phone number you can call is the same customer service number find online. I requested a telephone call back from a manager or Customer relations, and will take approximately 10-12 business days. So at their mercy.

Yay for their “Transfarency”

Old 05-11-2022, 06:58 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
Well they can distinguish just by looking into the person that used the card to book an upcoming flight and cancel his reservation. Anyways, the only SW phone number you can call is the same customer service number find online. I requested a telephone call back from a manager or Customer relations, and will take approximately 10-12 business days. So at their mercy.
I didn’t say they wouldn’t know who spent the money or at the very least who’s flight was booked with it but that doesn’t mean that’s who spent it. All that however wasn’t what I was speaking about. At the time the funds were used how would southwest determines who the owner of the gift card was? The real answer is they can’t

Quote:
Yay for their “Transfarency”
Your situation has nothing to do with transfarency and is a general shared risk across the gift card world

Old 05-11-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn’t say they wouldn’t know who spent the money or at the very least who’s flight was booked with it but that doesn’t mean that’s who spent it. All that however wasn’t what I was speaking about. At the time the funds were used how would southwest determines who the owner of the gift card was? The real answer is they can’t

Your situation has nothing to do with transfarency and is a general shared risk across the gift card world
SW emailed me the gift card, which is tied to my email address, so I would think that it’s proof I’m the owner of the gift card.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:12 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
What about filing a police report? That may make their ears perk up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics