Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 08:36 AM

24,628 posts, read 10,947,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I know someone who does that too!

Seems over-the-top to me, but it works for them.
Easy record keeping and dispute.
We went in circles with a landscaper who dragged his one year guarantee on work/plant material out. Standing water in Texas during a "over 100 over 100" period. Documented attempts to discuss issues and Discover pulled a 25k charge back after one year. This closed the merchant account. All was well at the end.

OP seems to just want to whine. One thread after the other of poor, poor me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,060,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I know someone who does that too!

Seems over-the-top to me, but it works for them.
I would do it if it made sense for me. I have the credit capacity to charge everything, and could pay the bill off every month. However, many utility companies and my mortgage company charge fees to accept credit cards. Some flat fees, some 3% or so. My rewards are only 1-2%, so I would be losing money on that deal.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:37 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,156,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would do it if it made sense for me. I have the credit capacity to charge everything, and could pay the bill off every month. However, many utility companies and my mortgage company charge fees to accept credit cards. Some flat fees, some 3% or so. My rewards are only 1-2%, so I would be losing money on that deal.
The guy who does this crazy thing - uses the credit card balance transfer coupons for free interest for six month (something like that). He gets the free airline mileage and floats the loan for three months.

He is financially stable. It's not risky when he does it. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:18 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Does anyone really charge their electric bill??? Make a budget that has more money coming in then going out. Keep your cars until they die, birthday parties are at home only, what’s a vacation?, put your kids in cheap sports with no travel, downsize your house to one much cheaper, etc. This is how my generation and the ones before us didn’t live beyond our means.
Well, my husband and I split the bills, he pays all the utility bills. He autopay's them with his rewards credit card then autopay's 100% of the balance of his credit card every month with his banks bill pay. So I don't think "charging their electric bill" is the big problem, but rather charging it and paying for it a little at a time is a sign of impending economic disaster.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:50 PM

3,234 posts, read 1,687,994 times
I let my wife charge too easily with medical bills. So the medical expenses got out of control even with insurance. So I started question the medical companies WTF is all these expenses, why isn't insurance covering it? So I threaten to go elsewhere, suddenly the worker said that 3 of the bills were covered by my insurance I just need to pay this bill and the other 2 magically went away.

My kids eye doctor wanted $700 for exams, so I said let's go elsewhere that takes our policy. Then the eye doctor called back and said you qualify for one annual checkout with our insurance.

Another doctor wanted $7500 for my kid's oral surgery, I declined and they even called the next week to confirm our appt for tomorrow. I said No way. I called up another place and paid for the initial exam of $200 and then they quoted the work including insurance for $500.

Question and decline all your healthcare bills and look for 2nd opinion.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:02 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I let my wife charge too easily with medical bills. So the medical expenses got out of control even with insurance. So I started question the medical companies WTF is all these expenses, why isn't insurance covering it? So I threaten to go elsewhere, suddenly the worker said that 3 of the bills were covered by my insurance I just need to pay this bill and the other 2 magically went away.

My kids eye doctor wanted $700 for exams, so I said let's go elsewhere that takes our policy. Then the eye doctor called back and said you qualify for one annual checkout with our insurance.

Another doctor wanted $7500 for my kid's oral surgery, I declined and they even called the next week to confirm our appt for tomorrow. I said No way. I called up another place and paid for the initial exam of $200 and then they quoted the work including insurance for $500.

Question and decline all your healthcare bills and look for 2nd opinion.

I never pay medical bills if they come soon after the visit because insurance most likely has not paid yet. It's easy to go online to see if a claim was paid if you don't get a paper EOB. $700 for eye exams? How many kids do you have?

Oral surgery isn't cheap but it should not be $7,500 if they're doing something like extracting wisdom teeth. My oral surgeon gets about $500 per tooth, with delta dental covering about $100 of that. Keep in mind that dental insurance usually only covers up to a certain amount every year, say $3,000. If your treatment will be more then that, you're better off waiting to start at the end of the year, with it finishing at the start of the next year.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:28 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I mean to keep checking accounts from overdrafting

This is a very very scary precedent and what happens is families especially with small children will say :

We can’t cut out childcare, we aren’t going to ruin our family Memorial Day outing , we aren’t going to cut out child’s soccer practice it’s not the child’s fault …. We MUST make a birthday party for our 5yo or he will be the only one in his class without one how will he feel? Grocery Food was higher and it caught us off guard

But if we pay the utility bill that leaves us $50 left in checking till next pay day and we can’t ….

Solution : Master card credit line $3000 ok charge the $150 electric it’s only $25 a month min payment

Next month goes by ….. another similar situation

Now what happens for anyone who does this is for a certain length of time it’s an attitude of “whatever its a little monthly fee, we’ll get by”
Then beyond a certain threshold at a very very very very rapid rate….. this becomes apparent NOT only is this NOT free money that has to be paid all back 100%…. And you’ll see this

Credit Statement Balance: $3,704.06…. “Ok ok ok it’s ….
New Pending charges …
Full outstanding credit: $5,379.58…. Min payment: 176.28

Pediatric physican bill from July 2001: $854.37
Children’s Hospital bill : $9,854.71Insurer paid: $8,100
Your Amount due : $1,754.71

Your student loan payment
2021 monthly payment: $374.58/month
New payment at renewal: $532.48

Your Amazon rewards card amount due $2,254.76

Notice: School is out in one Month…. Childcare options for summer are filled up fast …. One spot available required payment : $1,864.37

Then while stressing your kid on their last week of school you’ll find the car you have been driving for years fully owned in your name …. has a breakdown you call emergency road service you go to repair shop …. We are unfortunately understaffed you’re looking at at least 48 hours …. 48 hours later …. There’s some complications to your transmission we can fix it for you you’re looking at roughly $4,000-$4,500 parts labor and it’ll be ready tomorrow afternoon ….

But if you Were struggling to balance budget without going over in the first place, let alone need to stretch a few hundred onto a card……. NOW the ONLY way out is to cut back to a point where you have to manage with what would have given you a surplus of savings …. Just to balance …

If you deem that no longer possible, you excuse additional borrowing to cope with the existing debt cost … which add to this…. Rate hikes …. And you’re going to see some defaults, some will never be able to pay it all back or only by undergoing major life disruptions

Add to this even higher much higher inflation and no ability to save on top higher interest rates , on top desperate personal loans and eventually denied credit applications
If this is "embarrassingly close to (your) situation....

What part of CUTTING expenses are you not getting?

Doesn't matter if "it's not the child's fault"..you simply say "I'm sorry honey, we can't afford it/this/that".
Parents do it ALL THE TIME.

Children have no concept of money, they just want want want.
It's called being a PARENT to teach them they can't just "have anything they want".

If YOU'RE refusing to live within your means...then we can't help you.

And yeah, sure, go ahead..get deeper in debt to pay for unnecessary expenses.. because after all, "it's not the child's fault".

Oh, please, please be sure to post how digging deeper in debt works for ya!

If you're unwilling to cut expenses, then get a second/ third job/s.

Then you can say to your child "I'm always gone at work just so you can have a memorial day outting and a birthday party...even when I'm not there because I'm working to afford these things because it's not your fault I can't pay bills".

Get real.

Learn to budget, cut out expenses and live within your means.

Otherwise, in addition to the above statement you can also say "honey because I refused to cut expenses so I could give you a 5th birthday party ( remember that birthday party honey??) NOW you'll just have to support me and mom in retirement because we have no money, but we gave you a HELLA 5th birthday party!!!"

Get real.
It's called "adulting".

Look it up.

Oh, and please, please DO NOT have any more kids. You can't afford the ones you've got. Not even an Accidental "oops, we're pregnant again! How did THAT happen???"

Best

Last edited by galaxyhi; 05-19-2022 at 04:01 AM..

Old 05-19-2022, 04:04 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And live within your means. Four simples words could help a lot. I can't afford it. Practice.

That said, I completely sympathize with people who are experiencing inflated prices for things like gas and groceries. Tell your kid you can't afford a birthday party.
I'm sorry, but that is the only solution without more income, OP. Just because it's not your children's fault that they're in the situation they're in doesn't mean they need to get what other children their age, whose family is more wealthy, have (my sister didn't get the new designer clothes she wanted that her friends had when we were growing up; we shopped sometimes at thrift stores and other times at low-cost department stores). It just doesn't work that way. When they're out of the house and on their own then they get to give it a shot (and they probably won't be doing better than you are in the future economy, sad to say).

Another thing is that in giving your children more than what you can afford--eventually the bottom's going to fall out of that paper tub and then they'll really have some problems along with the rest of your family. Stop this now. I didn't have all that much growing up--was definitely a working class/lower-middle class lifestyle. It can build character though and some children who are given more can become spoiled possibly.

I hope you'll change your ways soon, like immediately. You have good reason to worry. What you're doing is not going to last very long. And because you have children, you need to be more responsible than this. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Putting it on credit isn't a viable solution; all that's going to get you and your family is a huge financial disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Sounds like a lot of spending to keep you with the Joneses. $2300 Amazon card? Kid will survive without the big party. My birthdays were at a park typically. Go out and play soccer with your kid. My cars are paid for, but I put 300 a month away for the next car and maintenance needs. Funny how Christmas and birthdays magically happen every year so maybe budget for those? Nah they'll take care of themselves...
Yeah, really. This "it's not the children's fault" nonsense--so?? You got to look at reality. The fantasy world he's living in's going to cave in pretty soon if he doesn't change real fast. How much does the birthday parties cost? I got a cake, few small presents and I think we went out to dinner. Not sure exactly how much that was but it was well under a hundred dollars (this was like 30 years ago though). We each got $100 for Christmas (it was me and my brother and sister). According to a google search (not sure how reliable that is of course) that's about $225 back in 1990 in the middle of the years when I was growing up. My parents saved though in other ways (like with the clothes buying; and there weren't that many electronics when we were growing up-- like no one had a cell phone and all that other related stuff). My mom eventually went back to work (I think like in around 1989 or so) and us kids had paper routes to save for things that we wanted to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
A few sentences in and I already see multiple attitude issues that will cause ongoing financial problems if not changed.
  1. Keeping up with the Jones. (The kid must have a birthday party because others have one.)
  2. Making financial decisions based on feelings. ("It's not the child's fault.")
  3. Entitlement attitude ("We aren't going to ruin our family Memorial Day outing.")
Yeah, seriously.

Dude--if what we're telling you doesn't get through (which that is doubtful), get someone out there in the non-internet world to knock some sense into you. You're seriously asking for a heap of problems if you don't change your ways immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Spot on! Everyone in every family needs to learn/understand that life probably won't hand them everything they want. Don't raise your kids to expect it OP. They need to learn how to handle disappointment. Everyone ends up with unexpected surprises. They still need to be dealt with. If you're not planning for them life's going to continue to be rather unpleasant.
Yep. His kids may turn into spoiled brats eventually in getting everything they want. That happens pretty easily in families that have it all. Disappointment is a good thing to teach children, even though it may hurt as a parent to do that. However--it is a vital life lesson. Because the one thing besides death that is guaranteed in life (okay, you have the tax joke too) is disappointment. A truly loving parent--who doesn't love just themselves because they don't want their children upset at them--will teach this to their children so, as you said, they can learn to handle disappointment (perfect example of a spoiled brat is that one girl in New York who shoved that lady to her death because allegedly she was told a park was closing soon. I have no doubt and would be willing to bet that her rich parents denied her nothing while she was growing up. Now look what happened. Not that that happens to everyone who gets what they want, but it is a huge risk factor).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 05-19-2022 at 04:26 AM..

Old 05-19-2022, 07:20 AM

24,628 posts, read 10,947,984 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...room-home.html

Old 05-19-2022, 08:31 AM

7,168 posts, read 4,567,553 times
Kids remember the time you spent with them and how you made them feel and not the money you spent on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics