Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 09:11 AM

7,985 posts, read 3,918,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
I saw it on abc morning news ...
Oh. Then it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 AM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
<sigh.> Clearly, not everyone has the capacity for strategic thought.

The change in trade status was a tactic. A tactic.

It was not a strategy. It was not an objective. It was merely a tactic in the larger game of chess.
I don't see the point in playing the semantics game. You can call it whatever you want if it makes you sleep better at night. Regardless it was a mistake to allow the free flow of goods from China. Even Mexico has a VAT on imports.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Graphics cards are being bought up because people are profiting off of them, either in the secondary market or using them for crypto mining.
Originally, cryptocurrencies were based on proof-of-work, requiring extensive mining, driving demand for specialized processors found in graphics cards. Those graphics cards take electricity as a "raw material" and turn it into value; proof-of-work has been criticized for its energy consumption.

In response, cryptocurrencies are rapidly moving from energy intensive proof-of-work to much less energy intensive proof-of-stake -- and demand for graphics cards is declining, much to Jensen's dismay.

Quote:
But what if it had been a necessity, like food, or say I dunno... housing. It creates an unstable society where the haves can afford life necessities and the have nots can't, or struggle mightily to.
That is a WONDERFUL thing. It provides incentives for people to earn more, thereby adding more value to society, driving up GDP and GDP-per-capita.

I realize from your posts you never studied economics at the university level, but it is the study of the optimal allocation of scarce resources in a world of infinite wants and desires.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
1 million dead from covid and you think it was handled well and deemed appropriate.
Guess senior citizen lives don't matter.
Let me know when you have a point to make.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
Realtors do NOT come up with the "right price for the home." Buyers do.
You list your house for sale and your realtor is going to advice you on the correct price to sell it. You can take their advice or ignore it but they will come with a price for you. That is the starting point. Buyers have no control over that.

Seems like you are just looking for an argument with everyone. What other hobbies do you have?

Old 05-14-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You can't build a 3BR house for $100k anywhere. Materials and labor cost more than that.
Heck, the cost of compliance with local building regulations is higher than that.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:26 AM

15,569 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Defined benefit pensions should be banned.
Why? None of the defined contribution plans provide anywhere close to the same benefits as a defined benefit plan, and put all of the risk on the employee.

I may be biased, since my employer offers a defined benefit pension, but I've seen how much better the plans are from relatives who retired over the last 6 years.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If the Permian Basin didn't have oil, no one would voluntarily live in Midland and Odessa.
Sounds like a great spot for people in the Federal Witness Relocation program.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I believe you are incorrect on the above.
Do you also still believe in the Easter Bunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
...nothing like the heat in Phoenix or Tucson, or Vegas.
It is a myth that Phoenix/Tucson/Las Vegas are hot. It rarely gets above 115.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:16 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:

It is a myth that Phoenix/Tucson/Las Vegas are hot. It rarely gets above 115.

Mogul, sometimes I think you are just contrary for the sake of arguing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics