Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The train will really start to come off the rails circa 2025. That is my official prediction.
Your *latest* official prediction.

Like all doomsdayers you have constantly moved the timeline forward hoping to get it right someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 03:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
The economic contraction in store for us will be both horrific and permanent.
Back in the day you said the covid contraction was permanent and we would never reach 2019 levels of economic activity again.

Rinse, repeat.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:22 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
The economic contraction in store for us will be both horrific and permanent. No force alive can prevent or reverse this, as it is due to peak oil and energy/resource depletion.
Wow, peak oil, now that's another 70s throwback!

Old 06-12-2022, 10:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
The train will really start to come off the rails circa 2025. That is my official prediction.
What makes it "official" - other than it is as wrong as all the others.

Most recessions are less than a year (average 11.1 months) - even the great depression lasted only about 3.5 years. To have the current one be the worst in 3 years from now means it would have to be the longest depression ever - not happening. I am guessing it will be mostly over by this time next year.

Quote:
The economic contraction in store for us will be both horrific and permanent. No force alive can prevent or reverse this, as it is due to peak oil and energy/resource depletion.
Again with peak oil and energy depletion? With solar and wind quickly replacing much fossil fuel usage, and energy storage quickly becoming better - oil is getting less important. Also marginal oil recovery is becoming more efficient so peak oil will last a while and is quickly becoming a non-issue.

Last edited by ddeemo; 06-12-2022 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-13-2022, 01:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wow, peak oil, now that's another 70s throwback!
Yeah, peak oil has not gone away. It is still very much with us, and in fact, the problems are more dire now than ever.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:55 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
My guess is that government will be deadlock this year as midterms will be here so most likely serious downturn will be induced in order to unseat any incumbents. That's basically how it played out the last few recessions.

There's always gonna be carnage then followed by stimulus again.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
I am very interested to see the retail sales figures on Wednesday. It may be just my area, but I feel like consumer demand has fallen off a cliff. Economists expect it to gradually slow in a predictable manner as price pressures slowly build, but there seems to be a herd mentality with these things, where rather than a nicely-charted and reasonable inflection, everybody just suddenly decides to stop spending, as if they're all on the same brainwave.

This is what I've seen:

last month / a month ago / normal

RV park is at 30% capacity / 50% capacity / 90% capacity (it is now the high season)
Aldi (discount grocer) has lines! / Nope / Never happens.
Freeway Traffic is surprisingly light / Moderately light / Usually jammed with summer vacationers.
Airlines have empty seats 4 days out / Packed full / Usually not this many seats available
Airfare algorithms are now discounting last-minute tickets / Tickets just weren't available / Usually prices spike.
Tourist area looks like mid-winter / Foot traffic was picking up / Generally this is the high season and it's packed.
Tip jars are empty / Normal / Normal.

A chicken-little moment over retail sales would not surprise me on Wednesday. In general, regarding the original subject, I seriously doubt we'll make it to 2023 before the depth of the recession hits. I think it is going to be a lot sharper and swifter than anyone is expecting.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:50 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
At some point people are going to blow through all their gains they made from pandemic savings, equity and stock growth with all these higher prices. There are initial signs this is already happening with increased use of credit cards.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I am very interested to see the retail sales figures on Wednesday. It may be just my area, but I feel like consumer demand has fallen off a cliff. Economists expect it to gradually slow in a predictable manner as price pressures slowly build, but there seems to be a herd mentality with these things, where rather than a nicely-charted and reasonable inflection, everybody just suddenly decides to stop spending, as if they're all on the same brainwave.

This is what I've seen:

RV park is at 30% capacity / 50% capacity / 90% capacity (it is now the high season)
Freeway Traffic is surprisingly light / Moderately light / Usually jammed with summer vacationers.
Airlines have empty seats 4 days out / Packed full / Usually not this many seats available
Airfare algorithms are now discounting last-minute tickets / Tickets just weren't available / Usually prices spike.
Tourist area looks like mid-winter / Foot traffic was picking up / Generally this is the high season and it's packed.

A chicken-little moment over retail sales would not surprise me on Wednesday. In general, regarding the original subject, I seriously doubt we'll make it to 2023 before the depth of the recession hits. I think it is going to be a lot sharper and swifter than anyone is expecting.
Hm... not "off a cliff" but certainly "off"

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/reta...inflation.html

TLDR; retail sales are down 1.3% (0.3% actual, 1% inflation-adjusted) missed forecasts by about 0.4% (declining instead of increasing slightly).

1% month-month inflation along with a 4% increase in spending on gas (since most people can't modify their driving) is somewhat masking the decline.

Hard to believe anyone finds this decline "unexpected." I'm more surprised that economists expected any increase at all.

I think this is the inflection point for summer spending. I know the media has been going crazy about how packed flights and roads and vacation spots will be this summer, but I don't think that's going to be the reality. I've had to make flights on short notice many times over the past few months, and while Air travel was a gridlocked nightmare in the winter and spring, now that summer is here, I'm seeing a lot of empty seats.

Edit: The pundits are saying that it's because consumers are adjusting for high food and gas prices, but I think they're missing a key element; rising interest rates. EVERYTHING is financed these days. EVERYTHING. Not just cars and houses (which did decline sharply due to mortage/interest rates) but plane tickets, even that $100 crap bicycle from WalMart.

No matter what the fed does, I don't see any way out of this corner. Low interest rates and continued QE and inflation kills the economy forever and a day. Bump interest rates and unwind QE and consumer demand collapse kills the economy for just as long.

What a mess.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:50 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

This is what I've seen:

And we have seen TONS of RVs this season, campsites are hard to get reservations, even when we tried early, even dry camping the sites have been pretty full early in the season. Airline tickets were expensive from Hawaii, the plane was packed. Roads are packed with summer traffic.

Consumer spending has been at a high level, though that may be dropping off now, and inflation won't slow until enough people stop spending.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 06-15-2022 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics