Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 09:42 AM

5,908 posts, read 4,453,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The simple gist of this all is the workplace deteriorated in quality for people (particularly service and people workers) and wages have been declining relative to inflation in the last 2 years. Some people jumped or retired, but for many, they just put in less time and effort in to the job.

Corporations experienced record breaking profits over the last 2 years, they didn't share that with employees, as wages have declined. Workers have responded by increasing their hourly wages by spending less time at work. That's exactly what I'm doing. After 2 years of 5-7% effective pay cuts, I put in 32 hours a week now instead of 40.
Sounds like a good path to get the promotions and pay increases that you…uh…”deserve”.

“My company doesn’t value me and they have no fear of the market valuing me elsewhere so I prove them right by providing less value and not being able to get higher value elsewhere”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 10:20 AM

5,371 posts, read 5,173,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Sounds like a good path to get the promotions and pay increases that you…uh…”deserve”.

“My company doesn’t value me and they have no fear of the market valuing me elsewhere so I prove them right by providing less value and not being able to get higher value elsewhere”.
Lol... simplistic reading of it. Basically employees have to decide if the current gig is a path upward or not. If it's not, you don't get a new job next week. In between the current and future job, why do 110%?? It wasn't like I specifically got a cut, the company just did 3% raises across the board in ATL where inflation is 10%. That's part of the reason they aren't worth sticking with.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:15 PM

1,735 posts, read 631,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not doubting your statement
But the truth is that if everyone paid a fair share our country would be a safer, saner, happier place to live…
Can’t argue that. If everyone has skin in the game then they might start thinking twice about how their taxes are spent. Right now it is the free loaders who scream the loudest “give me more”. If they were forced to support other free loaders I bet their tune would change quite a bit.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:34 PM

8,033 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Moguldreamer;

Based on some of your posts you REALLY NEED to read ALL my post.
OK, I will.

Quote:
Oh, a few mistakes and "damnyouautocorrect" errors
Happens to all of us. I used to work for a guy named Paul Otellini. The damn spell checker constantly autocorrected it to Paul Tortellini. I issued more than one embarrassing memo.

Quote:
READ it thoroughly, AMD AND digest it's contents. MAYBE you'll learn something!

Best
Will do. After I've digested it, I'll come back and post my thoughts.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,277,508 times
When jobs don't pay enough to live, why should I work hard? It's not like working harder will buy me anything of value with the worthless cash I get paid. If what you pay me won't buy anything, then I want my time.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:04 PM

587 posts, read 315,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/05/05/...ince-1947.html

This number is shocking. Your nations wealth and quality of life is based off how productive you are. More productivity more goods and services more choice producing an excess which can be sold internationally driving real growth. We compete with China who literally has slave labor. Americans, who were historically known for their work ethic, now don’t want to work or won’t work as hard. How do we fix this issue?
We are half way off a steep cliff and the majority insist WFH is more productive. It appears not to be.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,277,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
We are half way off a steep cliff and the majority insist WFH is more productive. It appears not to be.
I can say definitively it is not.

I'm in education and online learning is a JOKE. At a fundamental level adults are not that different than kids. Students backslid like crazy, but we expect the adults worked HARDER? LoLOL!

At home people have kids, dogs, etc... bothering them all day. WFH enthusiasts imagine that all of us have theae fancy private workstations in our idyllic single family houses & our home lives are all calm & collected.

Not only that but a bunch of teachers checked out too. Just stopped working.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-25-2022 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-26-2022, 02:38 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,612,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
America is changing. The working class no longer want to slave around for years on end without having basic guaranteed benefits people in other countries seem to get. Starting with maternal/paternity leave and three-four weeks of paid vacation a year.
I suspect a very small minority of workers in USA have given much thought to availability of paternity leave.

People want more money. Sure there are other factors anything from commute to career advancement to how much the work sucks, but paternity leave? Come on.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:15 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I can say definitively it is not.

I'm in education and online learning is a JOKE. At a fundamental level adults are not that different than kids. Students backslid like crazy, but we expect the adults worked HARDER? LoLOL!

At home people have kids, dogs, etc... bothering them all day. WFH enthusiasts imagine that all of us have theae fancy private workstations in our idyllic single family houses & our home lives are all calm & collected.

Not only that but a bunch of teachers checked out too. Just stopped working.
SO is in adult ed. He has not had an issue with students or instructors slacking off.

Those WFH who really work and not just slide along do have their set up and are professional enough to check their home life at the door.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:29 AM

5,371 posts, read 5,173,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
SO is in adult ed. He has not had an issue with students or instructors slacking off.

Those WFH who really work and not just slide along do have their set up and are professional enough to check their home life at the door.
Education is entirely different from project management work or data analysis. What works for one is not going to work for the other, people can't extrapolate from one field and say all the fields are feeing the same thing.

Companies can want whatever they want, but workers have made it pretty clear if they are expected to go into the office, that better come with a big pay bump or incentives, otherwise they're gonna take the work from home alternative job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics