Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:43 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I agree with that 100%.

I’m the most die hard WFH person there is to the point I will quit and leave without full flexibility. The nature of my job is global anyways so much of my job is “remote” even if I’m in the office. I also have to take late night and early morning calls all the time so I’m not wasting time going to an office only to work remotely anyways.

However, we have new staff we are on boarding, and I acknowledge that working from home is a near impossible steep climb for them and I would have never developed properly if my first 3-5 years weren’t in person. I’ve went in for their benefit and I made it known how bad WFH is for them.

And in college, I started terrified of people and by the end you work with dozens of teams in person and speak/present to the point you just got over it someday for prep for the workforce. Without this, I don’t know how you’d develop interpersonally.
Exactly. And from what I'm seeing of the new crops of graduates coming online, the bolded is a major problem. I can teach people to do the work but I can't teach them how to function in life.

I didn't even think about it until I started seeing what people were like without the fromative experiences I had simply as a matter of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 06:13 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,461,517 times
"Productivity" is a result of burning oil. We have reached peak global oil production, so expect productivity to continue an indefinite decline.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:46 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
"Productivity" is a result of burning oil. We have reached peak global oil production, so expect productivity to continue an indefinite decline.
If only we could generate energy from your pessimism. It's an inexhaustible resource.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:40 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times
I was waiting for someone to pick up on this. love you guys! lol.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:51 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I suspect a very small minority of workers in USA have given much thought to availability of paternity leave.

People want more money. Sure there are other factors anything from commute to career advancement to how much the work sucks, but paternity leave? Come on.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Do fathers not matter as well as mothers? Do they not need time to bond with their newborn children? I'm lost as to what issue you would have with this as a person living in France when most French working men have guaranteed paid paternity leave.

Last edited by allenk893; 05-29-2022 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-29-2022, 01:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't understand what you're saying here. Do fathers not matter as well as mothers? Do they not need time to bond with their newborn children? I'm lost as to what issue you would have with this as a person living in France when most French working men have guaranteed paid paternity leave.
I never made a statement about whether fathers matter as much as mothers. I have no issue with this.

I was doubting your implication paternity rights are important to American workers, I'd be surprised if more than a tiny minority of workers would have it on a list of things important to them about a certain job.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:09 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
We all feel it wherever we go wherever we turn there is somebody new somebody inferior or just people missing from their jobs. Almost every industry good/service has been impacted by the great resignation. Those that left their jobs were highly valuable and those that have replaced them demand more wages and produce far less or at least to a lessor quality.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:14 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The global society will find solutions. The US continues to the lead the way with innovations in science, technology, engineering and medicine. However others, such as Korea and China, are rapidly gaining ground, prioritizing the development of their knowledge base, and committing substantial financial resources to becoming leading nations of innovation and productivity. Hopefully this competition will wake up those sitting on the sidelines in our own country, emphasize the value of true knowledge and skills, and reward those willing to work hard again. An educated, contributing, and productive citizenship is the foundation of our society.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,802 times
Wages decoupled from productivity a while ago. No fair labor compensation, no worky.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:03 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,063,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The global society will find solutions.

Thanks for the humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics