Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 04:40 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times

Advertisements

This is a survey. Not data.

Are they funding retirements accounts and then have nothing left? Or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 04:48 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
A lot of people find a way to spend everything they earn with the idea nothing will ever go wrong such as a job loss or unexpected expense. Another problem is people have a "YOLO" attitude towards their finances and have no problem signing up for debt because they "deserve" good things. This applies to every level of income. I've known people making much less buying silly stuff that makes them feel better on credit because "I can afford the payments". I am wondering how this is working out when basic living costs have thrown a monkey wrench into their plans.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
The poll points to Millennials specifically, and that tells me the issue is housing prices. A very large rent or mortgage payment leaves very little room to maneuver in an inflationary economy.
Families with kids might be paying for private school, extra tuition help, sports camps, more than 2 cars if you have teens and that means insurance which is higher for teens. Teens also need phones and clothes and fast food and in that income bracket they are not going to be working
You could also be looking at families paying for college

Old 06-01-2022, 06:04 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
$250k?...They have some cutting back to do,try $52k and living check to check.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Families with kids might be paying for private school, extra tuition help, sports camps, more than 2 cars if you have teens and that means insurance which is higher for teens. Teens also need phones and clothes and fast food and in that income bracket they are not going to be working
You could also be looking at families paying for college
Living paycheck to paycheck while paying for private school, extra tuition, sports camp, more than two cars are all choices. So is having children and paying for college.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:46 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Living pay check to pay check and having to live paycheck to paycheck are two different things.
Lots of people in all income levels spend each month what the earn. I don't think that is really paycheck to paycheck. Most have money they can tap into if they need it.

To me paycheck to paycheck means you better have that check every month or there is no way to pay your expenses.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:49 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of people in all income levels spend each month what the earn. I don't think that is really paycheck to paycheck. Most have money they can tap into if they need it.

To me paycheck to paycheck means you better have that check every month or there is no way to pay your expenses.

From that article..."one in nine respondents said that they wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency expense by any means, including credit cards, borrowing from family or friends or by selling an asset. "

Old 06-01-2022, 08:22 PM

562 posts, read 464,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
From that article..."one in nine respondents said that they wouldn’t be able to cover a $400 emergency expense by any means, including credit cards, borrowing from family or friends or by selling an asset. "

Everyone should aim to have an emergency fund with at least 6 months of living expenses.

I have no debt outside of my mortgage. My student loans are all paid off and I own my car outright. Also, I don't carry credit card debt. I have an emergency fund and invest nearly 65% of my income. Next year, I'm aiming to invest 75%!

Old 06-02-2022, 12:06 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s not inflation that’s the problem, certainly not most Id suspect. It was overspending from the start that was the issue

I don't doubt they do things like expensive salon trips, nails, eat out often, buying a lot of convenience food items, drive the most expensive cars... All choices they made when they started being a high earner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
it could be those that entered the housing market recently overpaying and overextending by a lot or are recent renters who had to take a lease at some ridiculous prices. If you're entering the housing market now I could see how you're going to be stripped dry because home values and rents have skyrocketed to eye popping levels... I know markets where rents have gone up by 30-40% and home values have doubled or tripled in just a few years.

Read the article again, their credit cards are all maxed out. What does that tell you? They like to spend money by using credit cards. No doubt they vacation regularly in addition to what I said above.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:11 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
The fed sucks, no doubt, but this is a personal finance problem, if true.
^^^this.

I had a woman at my house last night that looked like a million bucks. Jewelry, late model Range Rover, dressed like she was going to a modeling shoot.....she looked amazing yet she rents her house, car has a $1200 payment and she literally lives child support check to child support check and the kid will be 18 soon.

I cringe when I hear the stories of her credit cards being declined or some scheme for her to get rich. She is super likable but financially a black hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics