Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 04:13 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,139,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Ick! Imagine having to live off $50k for discretionary expenses. Peasants
I didn't ever claim they were peasants, just that it could definitely feel like you're paycheck to paycheck. I didn't include, clothing, utilities, cable/internet, health insurance and/or life insurance, any hobbies or activities for the kids, vacations, eating out, car gas, car insurance, etc.

We spend about $85k/yr (excluding all taxes outside of sales taxes) for a family of 4 in a LCOL area and I feel like we're pretty frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 04:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 3,569,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
(Let's not even talk about the grotesque Sport Utility Pigs, like the Chevy Subdivision)
LOL. I'm going to use that one with a friend.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:32 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,088,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I didn't ever claim they were peasants, just that it could definitely feel like you're paycheck to paycheck. I didn't include, clothing, utilities, cable/internet, health insurance and/or life insurance, any hobbies or activities for the kids, vacations, eating out, car gas, car insurance, etc.

We spend about $85k/yr (excluding all taxes outside of sales taxes) for a family of 4 in a LCOL area and I feel like we're pretty frugal.
Calm down, it was sarcasm.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,512,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Reports Bloomberg...

Thanks to skyrocketing costs due to Inflation even higher income households are having to resort to living paycheck to paycheck!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-entire-salary
They don't know how to live within their means and budget. Or they live in an area where $250k/yr is low-income, so they need to get another job or move.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:11 AM

4,501 posts, read 6,744,916 times
I don't buy it. If so, they totally lack common sense.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:49 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,730,321 times
not saying this family does not have budgeting problems BUT I think a lot of people fail to consider just how much the US taxes income. Taxes start getting absolutely killer after a certain point.

For example, a solo person in California, making $220K/yr income has a marginal rate of:

Federal : 32%
California : 9.3%
Social Security : 6.2%
Medicare : 1.45%

That's 48.95%, at the marginal rate they are earning only 50 cents on the dollar. And those are the hardest dollars to earn in terms of effort and skill.

Someone making $220K/yr in California (or thanks to inflation most US states now since rents in even cheaper metros has doubled or tripled) isn't rich by any means but is taxed like they are rolling in money.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:57 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,759,005 times
Quote:
not saying this family does not have budgeting problems BUT I think a lot of people fail to consider just how much the US taxes income. Taxes start getting absolutely killer after a certain point.

For example, a solo person in California, making $220K/yr income has a marginal rate of:

That's 48.95%, at the marginal rate they are earning only 50 cents on the dollar. And those are the hardest dollars to earn in terms of effort and skill.

Someone making $220K/yr in California (or thanks to inflation most US states now since rents in even cheaper metros has doubled or tripled) isn't rich by any means but is taxed like they are rolling in money.
Who cares about their marginal rate, the relevant metric is their effective rate.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:18 AM

48,372 posts, read 34,504,185 times
Ha. My husband says if he won the lottery, the next month he would be broke and in debt.

Why? Because he is horrible with money.

ANYONE can end up living paycheck to paycheck if they are poor money managers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2022, 10:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,978,249 times
Quote:

This is simply wrong. The wage cap for social security is $147,000. So, if you are going to talk about the marginal rate paid by a $220k earner, you need to subtract that from your figure, bringing a more accurate marginal tax rate of 42.75

Lets be fair though. The first $4803 you earned you only had to pay 6.65% in SS/Medicare, just like any other worker. After that, CA hit you for 1%, so you paid 7.65% for the next $7,000 or so, again, like any other worker.

Don't forget that earning that much money allows you to fully max out a number of tax shelters. Contributions to 401k will reduce your top marginal tax liability, as well itemized deductions if you qualify. Are you paying back student loans? That is deductible too. There are solar energy credits, etc. Then, CA is pretty friendly on property taxes if you have lived there for a while, so you can pay lower rates for those.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:35 AM

4,300 posts, read 2,475,162 times
Quote:

You don't understand the meaning of "marginal".

Yes, the 221,000th dollar will be taxed at 48.95%. But Federal income tax, and probably CA as well, are progressive taxes, also with exemptions and personal deductions. So that person earning $220k/year gross probably pays more like 28-35% total income tax.

I'm sorry, but if you have $143,000 take home pay - anywhere in the US - and you haven't managed to accumulate at least six months' reserves, you're an idiot, plain and simple. If your living expenses are so high that you can't manage to max out your 401k or equivalent, Roth, HSA, and still be saving cash as well, you need to chop your living expenses till you can. There are plenty of people earning a third of that for take-home who manage to have their savings INCREASE every month, even in California, I guarantee it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics