Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 02:11 PM

7,789 posts, read 3,803,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
But I don't want to sell my house. I don't care if I can get well over the market value. I like my house and I don't want to move. And I really do not want the labor and expense of moving. Moving is hard work and it is expensive.

Also, I don't want my city or county to buy a bunch of expensive houses, because you know where that money is coming from: from me and the higher tax rate I would have to pay so the the governement would have enough money to buy all those houses that they don't need. I want my local government to pinch pennies and not spend money that they don't need to spend.
Very good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Any government will find a way to add new taxes somehow.

Can't you see what's happening here?

If the cargo ships thinks the king might buy it, they will set a higher value thinking"The kings got money"; and that, therefore, means he can collect higher taxes on a higher valuation WITHOUT ever buying a single thing.

..just like charging the US government $250 for a new $19.99 toilet...just because it's the Fed.
But if the US Fed says "if we decide we don't like the toilet seat in a week you MUST but it back at a 10% penalty, you betcha that $250 toilet seat will become maybe a $50 toilet if not the original $19.99.
Having to pay an extra $2 or $5 will be easier on the seller than $25 to buy back at $250.

Like all taxes, it's a game.

Best
Good point - there would be gaming of the system.

(as an aside, historically, there has been a reason for the $100 screwdriver. The Federal Government used to require the vendor of a product keep in inventory all parts and tools needed to repair it. So, a vendor would need to buy a $4 screwdriver and keep it in a warehouse for the coming decade. It wasn't so much because the Feds have money to burn & don't care; it was about the costs of owning a warehouse and storing a screwdriver in it that everyone knew would never be ordered. Perhaps the rules have changed; my info is from the 1980s)

Old 06-15-2022, 02:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
But I don't want to sell my house. I don't care if I can get well over the market value. I like my house and I don't want to move. And I really do not want the labor and expense of moving. Moving is hard work and it is expensive.
... I want my local government to pinch pennies and not spend money that they don't need to spend.
And... I am no longer physically able to build yet another home, brick by brick, nail by nail, just so the tax assessor can come and take it (again).

Some states have 'homestead' / ways for elderly to remain in their home. Many states do not have that provision.

I just built my home to enjoy and to sleep in and sit inside and read a book by the fire during the winter.
That is NOT how it is assessed ("Highest and best use", which artificially assesses each home valuation as it is market ready for top dollar sale including sales commissions and fit-up costs.

My home is an adequate beater for me to live in. It is not prime resale capable, nor do I care. I just want t place to lay my pillow. I don't want to fund the tax assessors new high rise office with Walnut and Marble finishes. I have linoleum and Formica and hand milled lumber and stones quarried from my property. I didn't build it to sell for some high price. I built it to live in, then it gets donated to charity (not the tax assessor).

I have fought valuations many, many times. Quite successfully for commercial and income properties, but not for residential. I only get to use addition and subtraction. Tax assessor gets to use multiplication (I cannot win that battle).

Insurance rates have quadrupled due to labor and replacement material costs + wildfires and earthquake risk.
Not much fun to be 'affording' a home without income (for last 17+ yrs). ~ 30 more yrs to go in retirement.

We will be displaced by artificial valuations sooner or later.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I hate that property tax is based on sales price or "current value" because that means nothing anymore. Can't it be based on property size or square footage or something? At least give us a way to prevent runaway price increases like we've seen over the last several years, it's insane.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
“All taxation is theft”….I’ll remember thinking of you when the police, fire department, and EMS fail to respond to the thief breaking into your house, the fire burning your residence down, and your wife calling because you are going into cardiac arrest. Because all taxes are theft. Another MAGA zealot no doubt.
These illustrations make up very little of the bill, most goes for public education.
In my state, political corruption and mismanagement have created an unsustainable pension debt crises.
We had 2 former governors imprisoned for this.
That's why people don't want to pay for what amounts to usury/theft on property taxes.
Also, where I am there's already yet another cell phone bill tax; for 911 service.
They create taxes on everything; as they cannot/will not manage their budgets properly.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:07 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I didn't take any political science classes in college, but did get a bit mid-career training about the power of government to make you pay for things you don't personally want.

So yes in that sense it is theft, since your not giving up your money willingly.

BUT, cheap shot at "MAGA zealots".

Right now, in my "neighborhood" we are trying to get folks to agree to join the rural fire department. They have provided both medical and fire service even though we are out of the fire district and don't pay property taxes to the district.

Us "Maga zealots" want to join the fire district. It is those "Seattle liberals" with their second homes that don't want to join the fire district.

Their argument is that the fire district has done it in the past without payment, they will continue to do so in the future.

Why do we have to pay??

Come to think of it....that basically is the Liberal argument...we don't have to pay for anything.

I have never had an issue with assessments. I do understand how they are calculated. I did appeal my assessment a couple of years ago and got a substantial reduction in my property taxes..

Even the assessor was impressed with my analysis. Well, let's just say he couldn't argue with it. The comparable was a willing selling, willing buyer under NO COMPULSON to sell and it was next door. The buyer got a real deal and so did I.

I have no issue with you or anybody else appealing their property tax assessment, taking any allowable deductions or doing anything that is legal to minimize their tax burden. You would be foolish not to do so. You are a MAGA Zealot because, frankly, you make ridiculous statements like all taxation is theft. First, we are a Republic/Democracy and we either indirectly through our representatives or directly through ballot initiatives vote for taxes to take care of public goods, like national defense, police and fire services, public education. Could these things be run better/more efficiently… probably so. Is it stealing from people to levy taxes through our political process….ABSOLUTELY ****ING NOT. If you want to make absurd, ridiculous, and uniformed statements like that to make a point, then expect that normal people will refer to you as a zealot. You have a distorted sense of morality and to say all taxation is theft makes you a MAGA Zealot. Don’t worry though, you have plenty of company.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
These illustrations make up very little of the bill, most goes for public education.
50% of my property taxes go to fnd public education (more than 50% on my TX properties)

Life-long homeschooler here, who took my entire family to volunteer at public schools 3 days / week. (because the students really need personalzed assistance in lower grades)

Schools have pretty much a blank check and little to no accountability (as does some other areas in public funded government)

I chose to question a local EMS bond ( by posting here on C-D). Within a day, I had multiple anonymous calls and later mailings threatening to burn my home down if I contested the Fire bond. (Wonder who that was?...)

We have a great government and tax system.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:35 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Quote:
In my state, political corruption and mismanagement have created an unsustainable pension debt crises.
We had 2 former governors imprisoned for this.
That's why people don't want to pay for what amounts to usury/theft on property taxes.
Also, where I am there's already yet another cell phone bill tax; for 911 service.
They create taxes on everything; as they cannot/will not manage their budgets properly.
He said, “All taxation is theft”. All is a pretty clear word. The statement is absurd.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
This same approach has been suggested for implementing a wealth tax….require people to estimate the value of all of their assets and pay the requisite tax based on those estimates. I think it is a pretty good idea if you in fact want to tax wealth (or just property as you have suggested here)
Just so everyone else understands, a property tax IS one form of a wealth tax. It doesn't tax all wealth, but it does tax some wealth.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you do not have any problem - after all, any trend that is unsustainable and hence cannot go on forever, won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics