Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 07:15 PM

421 posts, read 239,066 times

Advertisements

I am so disappointed in eBay. Is Etsy any better? eBay will not let me do anything like remove my info or close the account because I have about $4 in pending funds. They won't release the money either because the buyer doesn't know how to go in and confirm receipt. Anyone familiar with this? eBay used to be so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 07:51 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,523,640 times
I, as a former ebay buyer, did not know I had to "confirm receipt" to say I got the item.

I'd look at it this way: remove all your items listed for sale and just cut your c
Loses..I mean it's only $4.

Only other option would be to mail a letter to the recipient at the same address you shipped the item to with clear step by step instructions they can follow in order to close the sale.

Only other reason I can think of MIGHT be the buyer was not happy with the item and so, even knowing how to do what you want/need, is, in effect, thumbing their nose at you (or giving you the middle finger.

I was looking some time ago to list some items to get rid of.
After reading about the first 3 pages of eBay s rules and regulations (and by then I had a numb brain) and scrolled on to find WAAAAY to many pages to read, let alone digest.
So I stuck with Craigslist.

Etsy USED to be for home crafters or handcrafted businesses to list their wares.
But now it's full of Chinese commercial items that can be bought at any retailer.
Kitchy type cheesy crap.

I've looked into Etsy also, as I do hobby crafting if useful and daily use items. While not mind numbing reading, and they handy charts/formulas to get your desired "take home" price and the added expenses they to a sale for their commission and expenses.
If I want a mere $5 in my pocket for one of my items, I'd have to list it for like $12.50.
I think all the fees, percentage and etc they add are ridiculous.
Shipping gets complicated as far as I understood it. Whereas I know the shipping bag and postage for US is $1.50, I think they wanted a shipping fee... maybe I misunderstood...but seriously, I'M the one getting supplies, packaging and paying the postage! Why do THEY get a shipping fee cut?

I've also noted that those who crafted similar items to mine (there was a lot, but mine are the "prettiest" of course!) Have greatly dwindled.
Maybe, like me, they know what it's worth and only want a fair price, but feel as I do, that the required listing price is waaay over what they feel customers are willing to pay.

There are more and more such places now. They start off decent and simple and reasonable on their fees.
Then once their website "becomes a household name"...they get greedy.

My neighbor is a buyer/seller of garage, estate sale items. She's done this about 20 years. Lately she's been complaining about ebay's practices and policies...so you are not alone.

Best

Old 06-04-2022, 09:32 PM

299 posts, read 227,780 times
Right now a lot of Etsy shopkeepers are on strike due to increasing fees and ongoing problems with the site.

Four or so years ago Etsy was great for shoppers looking to sell handmade or unique items from small business owners. Now it's more of the same Amazon/Facebook marketplace junk with some cool mixed in.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:50 AM

29,910 posts, read 25,040,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Shipping gets complicated as far as I understood it. Whereas I know the shipping bag and postage for US is $1.50, I think they wanted a shipping fee... maybe I misunderstood...but seriously, I'M the one getting supplies, packaging and paying the postage! Why do THEY get a shipping fee cut?

I'm not sure how Etsy does it, but Ebay tacks on a fee on top of the shipping as part of their overall cut. I think it's 15% of the cost of the item plus the shipping. They used to just charge a flat rate on the item and not the shipping. So what sellers started doing was charging $1 for a really expensive item, and charging $200 or $300 for the shipping to get around having to pay the fee. Well, Ebay is in the business of making money, so they started charging a fee for the total price including the shipping instead, to put an end to that. Unfortunately, everyone including the honest sellers and the customers too have suffered as a result. Such is life.

The sellers always have complained on ebay. If you read the customer and seller reviews online, they are not flattering overall. But some of the buyers and sellers play games, and Ebay has to constantly find ways to weed those users out, stay on top of the latest scams people are pulling, etc.

Ebay is not Amazon. It's kind of the wild west and you are on your own there. If there are disputes, Ebay is not going to be of much use to you as a seller, and they will likely side with the customer by default. If you try to contact someone from Ebay to address any concerns or disputes, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. Many sellers absolutely hate the lack of support they get from ebay, but overall, it's not a bad place to list items if you have time to wait, depending on what you are trying to sell.

The solution to the issue of fees and shipping costs is simple. Don't sell your stuff cheap. If you have to wait months to sell your item, it's better than giving it away, or worse, going through all the trouble just to find out fees and shipping costs turned your hopes for a profit into a loss. The only thing worse than working for nothing is doing all that work, and losing money in the process. That's why a lot of 2nd hand sellers are mad right now. It's not a good time for selling that stuff, and Ebay is packed full of cheap crap no one wants. Good luck competing against that and making money. And all sellers who sell over $600 a year on ebay are now going to be paying full taxes on their sales. Many of that 2nd hand stuff is purchased and no receipt is ever given, so a great many small time sellers are mad about that too and forced to raise their prices or lose money or give up all together.

My advice is take advantage of the shipping discounts you get using the QR codes or printed labels supplied by ebay. You can transfer QR codes to your phone and the post office clerk can scan them and print your label up for you right at the post office. That saves a ton of money and very often is how sellers are able to make any money at all on some items. Sometimes, the shipping rate is up to 40% cheaper if you use their labels.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,562,468 times
if Ebay is not releasing your fund due to buyer not confirming receipt,thats because you have no tracking to confirm delivery,did you mark your item shipped?
But ebay would not wait forever for your buyer to confirm,it would release your fund,with Managed payment,it should be in your bank account.
The reason why there is a fee on shipping is because sellers (on Ebay) would list a large item for 99 cents and shipping $69 to avoid paying final value fee on the item since there was no FVF on shipping,so Ebay alters its policy to charge both item and shipping.
Sales on both Ebay and Etsy are slow now,due to higher cost on gas and food and services,Etsy fees are lower than Ebay.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:40 AM

I sometimes will get rid of my grocery coupons on Ebay,I would just mail it in a small envelope with no tracking using a first class stamp,I always mark it as shipped ,money is deposited in my account next day.
Not all sellers use tracking,like selling ribbons,postcards,stamps

Old 06-05-2022, 09:14 AM

68,364 posts, read 54,592,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
I am so disappointed in eBay. Is Etsy any better? eBay will not let me do anything like remove my info or close the account because I have about $4 in pending funds. They won't release the money either because the buyer doesn't know how to go in and confirm receipt. Anyone familiar with this? eBay used to be so great.

I had the opposite experience, apparently because I didn't buy/sell on Ebay for whatever time period triggered them my account was cancelled with no warning. Kinda ticked me off since I had ~140 100% positive feedback ratings which they told me I could not retrieve. I will never do business with Ebay again.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:07 AM

29,910 posts, read 25,040,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I had the opposite experience, apparently because I didn't buy/sell on Ebay for whatever time period triggered them my account was cancelled with no warning. Kinda ticked me off since I had ~140 100% positive feedback ratings which they told me I could not retrieve. I will never do business with Ebay again.

You can have up to 7 stores on one phone number. That's one way to get around that and it can help boost sales by having separate stores. If one gets sucked into the void, oh well, you have 6 more. Or just hold off and create a new one when the old on gets terminated. But I understand the principle of not doing business with entities that have wronged you.

Ebay does terminate accounts frequently, and sometimes for what seems like trivial reasons. It's part of their algorithm for deciding what stores stay and what stores go. There is very little human involvement I would figure, and getting a hold of customer support to fix your problem is rather pointless. They have to get rid of stores that have no activity though. What happens if a seller mysteriously vanishes or dies or something??? Can't let people continue buying from a store with no seller.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think a seller with 160 rating is going to be pulling in many more sales than someone with 20 or 30. The biggest problem is if you get one crappy unreasonable buyer who leaves you a bad review for no good reason at all. When you have few ratings, that 1 bad review can totally wreck your entire store and force you to start another one to make any sales. Sometimes buyers will demand a refund or threaten to ruin your store that way, basically holding the seller's rating hostage.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Idkeither View Post
===================
Buyer needs not confirm receipt,if seller ships with tracking and t racking shows it has been delivered.
If seller does not ship with tracking then seller should mark the item shipped and/or ask buyer to confirm receipt,buyer is not obliged to do anything more than paying for the item.
as for not allowing you to close account or remove info,thats because you have a transaction still pending ($4),until that is settled,your account will remain open.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You can have up to 7 stores on one phone number. That's one way to get around that and it can help boost sales by having separate stores. If one gets sucked into the void, oh well, you have 6 more. Or just hold off and create a new one when the old on gets terminated. But I understand the principle of not doing business with entities that have wronged you.

Ebay does terminate accounts frequently, and sometimes for what seems like trivial reasons. It's part of their algorithm for deciding what stores stay and what stores go. There is very little human involvement I would figure, and getting a hold of customer support to fix your problem is rather pointless. They have to get rid of stores that have no activity though. What happens if a seller mysteriously vanishes or dies or something??? Can't let people continue buying from a store with no seller.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think a seller with 160 rating is going to be pulling in many more sales than someone with 20 or 30. The biggest problem is if you get one crappy unreasonable buyer who leaves you a bad review for no good reason at all. When you have few ratings, that 1 bad review can totally wreck your entire store and force you to start another one to make any sales. Sometimes buyers will demand a refund or threaten to ruin your store that way, basically holding the seller's rating hostage.
Ebay has too many sellers and not enough buyers,there are some sellers who have 100 Ebay accounts,80 Paypal accounts and selling the same items ,worse they dont even have the items on hands,they would after you paid for the item.Then they would use your proceeds to buy the item.
Ebay has been going downhills for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics