Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 08:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

I rented my Coeur d'Alene home to a friend. Could not sell it in a down market.

To make thing simple, I just gave my friend a bunch of my deposit slips and told him to deposit the rent directly into my account.

Several years after I sold my house, the state of Idaho, finally contacted me and said there was ONE rent payment amount in a closed Idaho bank account!!!

Check your accounts. Not hard to do....and you might be surprised what you forgot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 11:54 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
There's something in my mom's name in the last state she lived; they won't tell me how much money it is. I tried to claim it, but they wanted my dad's death certificate, which would take some effort and cost some money to obtain. Dad died years before she moved to that state, so I don't understand why he would be involved. And I'd have to split whatever it is six ways with my siblings...

Old 06-06-2022, 12:05 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I've gotten money back that was owed to me. In my case, it was an overpaid amount on a mortgage loan I did back in the 90's. Seems the title company mailed the check to the address of the home I sold but it was never forwarded. A sizeable amount so I pursued it. A relative of mine received a pretty large amount from his late father's investment account, too.

It pays to check these out periodically. You never know if you've overpaid on something.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
I just went to my state’s (NC) site and found I have two claims for $50+ from Staples (I hope they are a good bit over $50 lol)….rebates I submitted in 2017 and never got before moving from a previous address. I was emailed a paper to sign and send in. Thanks OP.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:03 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Not really related but interesting none the less. My wife and I were out walking and found $339 sitting in the gutter. It had been raining, so it didn't just blow away. We took it to the police, waited for about a month and were able to claim the money. I'd still like to know the rest of the story about how it got there. Who drops that kind of money? Drug deal gone bad maybe.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:28 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There's something in my mom's name in the last state she lived; they won't tell me how much money it is. I tried to claim it, but they wanted my dad's death certificate, which would take some effort and cost some money to obtain. Dad died years before she moved to that state, so I don't understand why he would be involved. And I'd have to split whatever it is six ways with my siblings...
He may have been listed as a beneficiary on something like a life insurance policy. For anyone else to claim the payout funds, they'd have to prove he was deceased. My dad's military life insurance policy listed my mother as the beneficiary. She died many years before he did but he never got around to updating the beneficiary statement. I had to produce her death certificate in order to claim those funds and distribute them to his heirs.

When I discovered unclaimed money a state was holding for me, they did tell me the amount once I proved my identity. They told me exactly what documentation I needed to provide in order to claim the funds. Getting a copy of a death certificate shouldn't be hard or cost that much.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-06-2022 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-06-2022, 03:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I made a post some months back that I found my and spouses names on unclaimed funds.
Mine was at US Treasury, it turned out nothing was in my name but my SS# was attached to a bond I'd given 30 years ago and it was matured and unclaimed. Since I have 7 nieces and nephews and don't know which one lost it I am not gonna start anything with them.

Spouse followed up on his and got the runaround from them to provide this paper and that and neither was easily done. I'll follow up now that we've got some free time.

It's not always easy to get your money back.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:47 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I moved around several times in my younger years, so my addresses were changing.

I found an insurance premium that I overpaid that was refunded to me and a state tax refund I never received. About $1,000 total.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:48 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
A utility owed my deceased father-in-law a return deposit of about $100. My husband was aware of it and decided to ignore it. The effort to claim it, including sending in a copy of the will and death certificates for his father and the deceased step mother would have decreased the amount. Throw in the need to communicate with the "step sisters" and it was definitely not worth it.

The parents married when the step sisters and my husband were adults so they didn't have a relationship unless you think one of them asking to borrow money is a relationship.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
A utility owed my deceased father-in-law a return deposit of about $100. My husband was aware of it and decided to ignore it. The effort to claim it, including sending in a copy of the will and death certificates for his father and the deceased step mother would have decreased the amount. Throw in the need to communicate with the "step sisters" and it was definitely not worth it.

The parents married when the step sisters and my husband were adults so they didn't have a relationship unless you think one of them asking to borrow money is a relationship.
I just looked up NY's unclaimed funds website. Only person in my family going back a few generations on the list is my late paternal grandmother. She's also owed something by one of the local utilities. I imagine that it's a small amount and not worth having my father go after, especially as he'd have to split it with his 2 brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics