Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 04:41 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,023,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I’m sure you’ve done this already, but, have you looked through all of her papers at her house? I mean every single one of them? When my mother passed, she literally had thousands of papers all over her house. Trying to find the will, life insurance policy and information on stocks was very difficult and took days. I will have it all organized for my children when the time comes.
Good idea, ILB. Her papers went to 1 sister, who lived around the corner from her & if she found anything she'd have let us know.

That retirement letter has all the info we have... let me quote the pertinent info from the letter, so it will make it better understood.

"Keep in mind, as a retiree of Marian Manon, you will continue to be insured under our group life insurance program in the amount of 50% of what you carried as an active employee. Specifically, you will be insured for $4,000; in the event you ever elect to change your designated beneficiary on the policy, contact our Personnel Dept. Since your coverage is under a Group Plan, we do not have an individual policy to give to you and so I recommend you keep this letter as proof of coverage."

Letter dated 1999. Her attached note is she changed beneficiary %'s in late 2017.

It's not much, but she paid into it & it should be used by someone in the family. We'll give it to my sister's son for college tuition... he's a 19-yr old Marine Reservist headed to engineering school next year.

Lastly, sorry to hear about your mum. Haven't seen you around in a while Beagles. I haven't been around much for a year, but I recall coming across your posts all the time in the past... forget which part of the forum. Nice to see you again. TY for your reply.

Old 06-11-2022, 05:43 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,939,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
TY Reed. That's a good resource. One of their pages lists info with finding a deceased person's lost life insurance policy, so I'll check into it. Unsure if they can help since I don't know if there's a difference between life insurance policies with large companies (like Prudential, SBLI) & this employer, which makes it seem as if the policy is with the company itself... maybe I'm wrong.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details...policy-locator

https://eapps.naic.org/common_web/li...ocator_faq.pdf

Group life insurance is also written by life insurance companies.

I suggest you try those two sources first.

Then there is another one.

https://www.mib.com/pls.html

That company charges $75. But they have been around decades longer than any other search service. Might be worth it as a last resort.

The reason you aren't getting any help from the employer should be obvious. They flat out don't give a crap.

For $4000 lawyers, small claims or travel isn't going to be worth it. You will have to find the insurance company and file the death claim.

One other thing you might try.

https://www.mass.gov/orgs/unclaimed-property-division

The life insurance proceeds may have already been sent there if the insurance company couldn't find a beneficiary. Long shot but it only takes a few minutes to check.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,523,869 times
if you know who is the insurance company,you may want to ask if the nursing home still have this policy.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Group life insurance is also written by life insurance companies.

I suggest you try those two sources first.
I don't know the name of the company which hosts the policy or I'd have called them already.

Quote:
Then there is another one.

https://www.mib.com/pls.html
That site says, "Provides search results for life insurance applications, but does not indicate whether any life insurance was ever issued and/or actually in force at time of the insured's passing, or whether any benefits are payable.

Unsure how this could be helpful?

Quote:
For $4000 lawyers, small claims or travel isn't going to be worth it. You will have to find the insurance company and file the death claim.
Right, but if I can't speak to anyone, I can't find that out. I think what Reed suggested will be easiest... call the CEO or someone above the HR Director's position. Then I'll move onto the MA Div of Ins.

Quote:
The life insurance proceeds may have already been sent there if the insurance company couldn't find a beneficiary.
How would they know she passed away? She just died. No one was searching for us, I guarantee that.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:11 PM

I'll reply when I have info after phone calls, in the event if might help someone else. It's easier than replying to the same q's... all the info I have so far is in the above posts. Thx everyone.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,523,869 times
if it is Manor in MA,they have a websitee hiring and tout life insurance benfits,maybe you can ask there

Old 06-11-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
if it is Manor in MA,they have a websitee hiring and tout life insurance benfits,maybe you can ask there
Good idea, MJ. TY. It says they have AFLAC insurances... unsure if it's the same as when my mum retired in '99, but it's another avenue.

I'll post back when I have some info.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:18 AM

740 posts, read 477,705 times
Quote:
Good idea, ILB. Her papers went to 1 sister, who lived around the corner from her & if she found anything she'd have let us know.

That retirement letter has all the info we have... let me quote the pertinent info from the letter, so it will make it better understood.

"Keep in mind, as a retiree of Marian Manon, you will continue to be insured under our group life insurance program in the amount of 50% of what you carried as an active employee. Specifically, you will be insured for $4,000; in the event you ever elect to change your designated beneficiary on the policy, contact our Personnel Dept. Since your coverage is under a Group Plan, we do not have an individual policy to give to you and so I recommend you keep this letter as proof of coverage."

Letter dated 1999. Her attached note is she changed beneficiary %'s in late 2017.

It's not much, but she paid into it & it should be used by someone in the family. We'll give it to my sister's son for college tuition... he's a 19-yr old Marine Reservist headed to engineering school next year.

Lastly, sorry to hear about your mum. Haven't seen you around in a while Beagles. I haven't been around much for a year, but I recall coming across your posts all the time in the past... forget which part of the forum. Nice to see you again. TY for your reply.
Your welcome!

Old 06-12-2022, 07:17 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
I'll reply when I have info after phone calls, in the event if might help someone else. It's easier than replying to the same q's... all the info I have so far is in the above posts. Thx everyone.
I would try to contact everyone even on social media.
For example - this person is the Director of HR for the whole organization
(https://www.dhfo.org/about-us-dioces...th-facilities/) which has
several different facilities, including the one your Mom worked for and could be a boss for the HR who didn’t send you the forms like they promised.(Betsy Pinheiro?)

I would escalate to her next:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cyndie-mello-125a4930

Say that you don’t want to bother CEO, but might be forced to do so if nobody responds promptly

Is this the number you called? (508) 822-4885 - ask anyone who answers what other number you could use to reach Betsy or when is she there - as you have to talk very personal issue with her directly.

Call every number you could find to talk to a live person

508-679-8154 - financial department, they could be the ones to handle the insurance pay out paperwork ( You can’t just contact the insurance directly, I think - must go through the Employer, ask who is the person in charge of processing the paperwork - might not be HR)

Their main office seems to be in another town from where your Mom worked - call those below numbers and ask who to call and where to find everyone to resolve your issue - ask to be connected to Cyndie Mello - HR Director

(508) 679-0011
(508) 677-4367
It is ridiculous - the amount of time you have to spend, but it is very nice of you to appreciate your mother’s legacy and hard work and helping your young nephew to establish himself.
The amount of money was much more meaningful all those years ago - it had a higher purchasing power, but even today is not that small of a change

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-12-2022 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-12-2022, 10:22 AM

3,270 posts, read 3,228,914 times
You mentioned there’s a note that the beneficiary was changed in 2017. Would your aunt that has all the paperwork be able to find the actual form that changed it? That should list the company.

Also, when you call, could you just ask the receptionist who is the group life insurance carrier? It’s not a state secret.

And if it were me, I’d call the MA insurance department. Employers have to file information on their benefits and coverage and it shouldn’t take them too long to give you the name of the life insurance company.

Good luck.

Last edited by wizrap; 06-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Change not to note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics