Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 02:56 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
I would try to contact everyone even on social media.
For example - this person is the Director of HR for the whole organization
(https://www.dhfo.org/about-us-dioces...th-facilities/) which has
several different facilities, including the one your Mom worked for and could be a boss for the HR who didn’t send you the forms like they promised.(Betsy Pinheiro?)

I would escalate to her next:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cyndie-mello-125a4930

Say that you don’t want to bother CEO, but might be forced to do so if nobody responds promptly

Is this the number you called? (508) 822-4885 - ask anyone who answers what other number you could use to reach Betsy or when is she there - as you have to talk very personal issue with her directly.

Call every number you could find to talk to a live person

508-679-8154 - financial department, they could be the ones to handle the insurance pay out paperwork ( You can’t just contact the insurance directly, I think - must go through the Employer, ask who is the person in charge of processing the paperwork - might not be HR)

Their main office seems to be in another town from where your Mom worked - call those below numbers and ask who to call and where to find everyone to resolve your issue - ask to be connected to Cyndie Mello - HR Director

(508) 679-0011
(508) 677-4367
It is ridiculous - the amount of time you have to spend, but it is very nice of you to appreciate your mother’s legacy and hard work and helping your young nephew to establish himself.
The amount of money was much more meaningful all those years ago - it had a higher purchasing power, but even today is not that small of a change
I appreciate all your research, Look. I haven't been in touch with those you mentioned... the HR Director at MM is Linda Downey. Don't see where it says the Fall River campus is the main office, but I'll check into it further. No matter, I get your point & will begin with 1 name & work my way around. TY again & for listing the names & #'s. Very helpful.

It's annoying all this work has to be done, but, it is what it is, atm. TY for your nice words, as well.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
You mentioned there’s a note that the beneficiary was changed in 2017. Would your aunt that has all the paperwork be able to find the actual form that changed it? That should list the company.

Also, when you call, could you just ask the receptionist who is the group life insurance carrier? It’s not a state secret.

And if it were me, I’d call the MA insurance department. Employers have to file information on their benefits and coverage and it shouldn’t take them too long to give you the name of the life insurance company.

Good luck.
No paperwork (just my mum's note which I have... stated above)... beneficiary was changed via phone call. My sister has no paperwork, again above.

As Reed said in the 1st post, I'll try contacting the Div of Ins.

You'll have to read the above posts to get caught up. Thx for your reply, WR.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:30 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I do not know the policy number or which insurance company was used, if any... the policy was through her employer.
Subsidized (group/term) life insurance through an employer is (typically) not portable i.e. it would have expired when she retired/left her job - since you state she was 90. The only (unlikely) way it would have continued is if she was able to convert it into an individual (or whole-life) policy at the time - which would mean there should be a personal record relative to such (and it would not have anything to do with her previous employer). That said, it would be unusual for a 90-year-old woman to need/carry life insurance.

Either way, the onus is on you to prove any policy exists (at least by way of an insurance company name) and premiums/fees will need to be up-to-date in order to collect as well. Additionally, if you have no written record of the change in beneficiary (or policy), how do you know it is so?

Old 06-12-2022, 11:17 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
If I were you, I wouldn't waste any more of my time on HR or trying to find another dept with a live person. Call the CEO's office, and if you don't get a satisfactory response within a couple of days, call the Mass Dept of Ins.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:32 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Subsidized (group/term) life insurance through an employer is (typically) not portable i.e. it would have expired when she retired/left her job - since you state she was 90. The only (unlikely) way it would have continued is if she was able to convert it into an individual (or whole-life) policy at the time - which would mean there should be a personal record relative to such (and it would not have anything to do with her previous employer). That said, it would be unusual for a 90-year-old woman to need/carry life insurance.

Either way, the onus is on you to prove any policy exists (at least by way of an insurance company name) and premiums/fees will need to be up-to-date in order to collect as well. Additionally, if you have no written record of the change in beneficiary (or policy), how do you know it is so?
READ HER PREVIOUS POST,the policy covers retiree (50%),but that was years ago,company policy could change,so she needs to get hold of personel dept.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Like almost all who've replied, you've read none of the above posts... you're incorrect. All info is above, if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't waste any more of my time on HR or trying to find another dept with a live person. Call the CEO's office, and if you don't get a satisfactory response within a couple of days, call the Mass Dept of Ins.
Yes... that's what Reed recommended... I'll be working on it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
READ HER PREVIOUS POST,the policy covers retiree (50%),but that was years ago,company policy could change,so she needs to get hold of personel dept.
About to begin working on it. I'll have a better idea of what's going on by end of day. Thx again.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
How does she know what the policy covers if she has no record of such? Unfortunately for her, she doesn’t have a case without it.

Point being, the company isn’t going to offer subsidized life insurance to someone who hasn’t worked for the company in decades - and is 90 years old. Term (group) insurance is just that i.e. coverage relative to a fixed amount of time. Life insurance is not offered to employees as part of a retirement package (as it’s simply not needed as one ages anyway); perhaps the OP is speaking to a small pension of sorts which could be payable as a one-time lump sum payment (to a beneficiary) if never drawn.

That would be a stretch too, but it’s a more logical explanation than a subsidized life insurance policy decades after one’s retirement.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
How does she know what the policy covers if she has no record of such? Unfortunately for her, she doesn’t have a case without it.

Point being, the company isn’t going to offer subsidized life insurance to someone who hasn’t worked for the company in decades - and is 90 years old. Term (group) insurance is just that i.e. coverage relative to a fixed amount of time. Life insurance is not offered to employees as part of a retirement package (as it’s simply not needed as one ages anyway); perhaps the OP is speaking to a small pension of sorts which could be payable as a one-time lump sum payment (to a beneficiary) if never drawn.

That would be a stretch too, but it’s a more logical explanation than a subsidized life insurance policy decades after one’s retirement.
You also didn't read the above posts. All info is above.

Good news & my final post, cuz I have my answers.

I made 1 phone call this morning to the HR Dir where my mum worked & finally reached her in person. So, it turns out the portion of the letter I listed above (bolded) is correct... it's still the HR Dept at the facility she worked who handles former or current employees' LI benefits.

She did receive my certified letter weeks ago, but put it aside. She said forms were mailed months ago to my sister in CA, but my sister never received them & was told they were mailed twice (as I said above), so... were they lost, never mailed, mis-addressed? Who knows.

She's emailing forms to me today or tomorrow... hopefully, she does & I don't need to chase her again, cuz she doesn't return calls.

She doesn't know details... she's unsure if I have to mail them back or can email them. She doesn't know if both my sister & I have to fill out forms or just 1 of us. She's going to talk to Met Life (turns out that's their ins co) & will email instructions with the forms. < big sigh of relief >

To be on the safe side, once I fill out forms, if I can email them, I will with additional copies of the death cert & letter that was proof of insurance (again, above) & then overnight the same. It's worth the extra safeguard so that hopefully, I won't need to bother with future follow up calls or certified letters.

So, thank you to all who spent their time looking up info of corporate names & numbers or agencies to contact. You've been very helpful & awesome to do that work on my behalf.

I was prepared to spend the entire morning pouring through the lists several of you so kindly & helpfully compiled for me, to make as many calls as possible. I got up at 6am, espresso at the ready, pencil & paper in hand, waiting for 8am (9am eastern) to arrive so I could begin a day of searching.

Turns out it was a lucky day with just 1 phone call.

Thank you, again.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:00 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
You also didn't read the above posts. All info is above.

Good news & my final post, cuz I have my answers.

I made 1 phone call this morning to the HR Dir where my mum worked & finally reached her in person. So, it turns out the portion of the letter I listed above (bolded) is correct... it's still the HR Dept at the facility she worked who handles former or current employees' LI benefits.

She did receive my certified letter weeks ago, but put it aside. She said forms were mailed months ago to my sister in CA, but my sister never received them & was told they were mailed twice (as I said above), so... were they lost, never mailed, mis-addressed? Who knows.

She's emailing forms to me today or tomorrow... hopefully, she does & I don't need to chase her again, cuz she doesn't return calls.

She doesn't know details... she's unsure if I have to mail them back or can email them. She doesn't know if both my sister & I have to fill out forms or just 1 of us. She's going to talk to Met Life (turns out that's their ins co) & will email instructions with the forms. < big sigh of relief >

To be on the safe side, once I fill out forms, if I can email them, I will with additional copies of the death cert & letter that was proof of insurance (again, above) & then overnight the same. It's worth the extra safeguard so that hopefully, I won't need to bother with future follow up calls or certified letters.

So, thank you to all who spent their time looking up info of corporate names & numbers or agencies to contact. You've been very helpful & awesome to do that work on my behalf.

I was prepared to spend the entire morning pouring through the lists several of you so kindly & helpfully compiled for me, to make as many calls as possible. I got up at 6am, espresso at the ready, pencil & paper in hand, waiting for 8am (9am eastern) to arrive so I could begin a day of searching.

Turns out it was a lucky day with just 1 phone call.

Thank you, again.
Your sister might have just thought it was junk mail and threw them away.

I received a letter from service group life insurance and did open because I thought it was my quarterly statement. Nope a letter telling me that I had been made a beneficiary of a policy and that the person had passed and to fill out some forms.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Your sister might have just thought it was junk mail and threw them away.

I received a letter from service group life insurance and did open because I thought it was my quarterly statement. Nope a letter telling me that I had been made a beneficiary of a policy and that the person had passed and to fill out some forms.
Oh, jeez... please read above posts, particularly my bolded snippet from the proof of insurance letter.

I have the paper. I've reached the right person, so it's resolved now... read the above post for that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics