Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else laugh at bit at stories like this:

SUVs plunge toward 'endangered' list - CNN.com

Also, the high gas prices are finally having a decent effect on people's driving habits:

Americans Driving At Historic Lows (http://www.dot.gov/affairs/fhwa1108.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think alot of p[eople are just too over extended and have to give up the SUV. These same peole buy vehicles by waht the payment is rather than what the actual cost is.They are paying a premium to buy smaller cars were the cost is higher from demand. They are mostly over extended in credit so theycan't adjust their spending habits from thing s that are not necesary to gas.Ohters will make adjustmants in spending and either keep their SUVs or buy new ones at great discounts that will pay for the difference in gas prices.that deosn't even account for teh loss they take on selling there SUV. But some people just don't have a choice because they to make ends meet even at getting further in debit.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I don't see SUV driving slowing down any in my area, in fact several people I know just bought SUVs such as Tahoes and I know some more than are about to. Americans are addicted to these vehicles and so far these gas prices hasn't changed anything on the large scale. Sure, some people especially the lower middle class might be giving up their SUVs for smaller vehicles, but CNN stories like that sensationalize it.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
I can't say that I have any schadenfreude, but it's about time that the big, gas-guzzling cars lost their popularity. I have 2 kids I drive around in a Honda CRV, but I'd be just as happy in a little rice burner. The CRV was to appease my hubby, as we needed something in which to tote 2 kids and a dog, and he was against any wagons or minivans. I have no idea what the gas mileage is on either of those. Anyway, I also only drive it to the grocery store and the playground, so gas prices aren't hitting me much. If this were pre-kids and I had some giant SUV, I might be crying.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Americans are addicted to these vehicles and so far these gas prices hasn't changed anything on the large scale.
The numbers don't show this, all the auto companies are reducing production of these sort of vehicles.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The numbers don't show this, all the auto companies are reducing production of these sort of vehicles.
Even if not as many people are buying them, it doesn't do anything about the millions already on the road. They account for at least 60% of all vehicles, if not more.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Even if not as many people are buying them, it doesn't do anything about the millions already on the road
People are trying ditch their SUVs.

Quote:
They account for at least 60% of all vehicles, if not more.
Where did you get this from? Even in yuppie-vile Southern California SUVs don't make up anywhere near 60% of the vehicles.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
Still proud as can be to drive around me brand new Yukon! It gets about 16 mpg. I only use on the weekends to go camping and to the beach. I have a Honda Fit for commuting and running errands. This setup works fine with me. Fit gets about 39 mpg, but on the freeway, with careful driving skills, I've had it up to 43 mpg.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 AM

74 posts, read 206,093 times
latest trend in bumper stickers state that our money and our kids go to the Middle East.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
i don't laugh a bit, i laugh a lot. i'll be moving back to the states next year in spite of the impending recession. i have a sneaky suspicion that there won't be many of them riding around and i will finally feel safe driving my little geo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics