Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 12:39 PM

1,608 posts, read 875,483 times

Advertisements

I've long been into numismatics and currency collecting and back in 2001 I bought a $50 I-bond. My goal was to eventually get one of each denomination but I wasn't making good money at the time. I also managed to buy three $1000 I-bonds that same year. I ran short on funds several years later and cashed in the $1000 ones at a bank, but kept the $50 which I still have.

The $50 bond is currently paying a whopping 10.23%. If I still had the $1000s, they'd be paying 11.72%. Never thought I'd see that, and man, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Interestingly, I first heard about I-bonds from a guy I worked with who at the time was in his early 30's. He HATED the stock market and flat refused to open any retirement accounts, and barely tolerated banks, but every month he would buy $200-300 worth of I-bonds and file them away in a fireproof filing cabinet. That was his retirement plan, sort of a self-funded annuity to go along with his pension (we worked for a municipality) and social security. I thought it was a solid plan then, even with interest rates low. I bet he's grinning from ear-to-ear at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 01:37 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,618,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I've long been into numismatics and currency collecting and back in 2001 I bought a $50 I-bond. My goal was to eventually get one of each denomination but I wasn't making good money at the time. I also managed to buy three $1000 I-bonds that same year. I ran short on funds several years later and cashed in the $1000 ones at a bank, but kept the $50 which I still have.

The $50 bond is currently paying a whopping 10.23%. If I still had the $1000s, they'd be paying 11.72%. Never thought I'd see that, and man, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Interestingly, I first heard about I-bonds from a guy I worked with who at the time was in his early 30's. He HATED the stock market and flat refused to open any retirement accounts, and barely tolerated banks, but every month he would buy $200-300 worth of I-bonds and file them away in a fireproof filing cabinet. That was his retirement plan, sort of a self-funded annuity to go along with his pension (we worked for a municipality) and social security. I thought it was a solid plan then, even with interest rates low. I bet he's grinning from ear-to-ear at the moment.
If someone had bought 10K in I bonds every year since 2001, and held them- they’d be smiling right now.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,632,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Here are my fixed income holdings with the calculated yields. Of these, CTBB, CTDD, ECCW, HCXY, OXLCL, SACC, SCCD and TANNZ are baby bonds. I would not buy FTAI-B if I was doing it over- too risky. I manage risk in the other issues by adjusting my allocation from below 1% of portfolio up to 4.5%. Some of these I buy to sell off a portion when prices are good. If buying preferreds, I choose cumulative issues which may stop paying dividends but will owe back dividends once reinstated. And the companies must stop paying common dividends before they can suspend the preferred dividends. I bought STRRP expressly because there were accrued dividends and was paid for 7 previous quarters worth in Dec 2021. I just bought more TRTN-D because I like it a lot.
Wow, this great. Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:20 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,277,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
If someone had bought 10K in I bonds every year since 2001, and held them- they’d be smiling right now.

I am earning an average of 10.3% on my not-inconsiderable amount of I-bonds. I believe the annual purchase limits for I-bonds were $30,000 until 2008, which reduced it to $5,000. (All of these limits are applicable per social security number so a couple could have bought $60,000.)

And back in the day, I was able to purchase these using my credit cards and got a s***-load of frequent flyer points.

Woo-Hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics