Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 06:48 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP, I get your point.

Babies are made whether we want it or not. We can prepare ourselves with birth control methods but it still happens.
You and the other 4 or 5 people that keep implying that in this discussion.....I"M NOT BUYING IT AT ALL. Not in this day and age when multiple safe methods of BC with better than 99% effectiveness are available at a fraction of the cost of what they once were.

You guys needs to stop being so misleading by implying that "kids just happen" when you know darn well that that is an absolute fallacy. 99.9% of the time they happened because couples were in an invulnerable state of mind.

Its Like saying I accidentally got in my car after drinking too much. Ummmm.......NO you didn't just accidentally drive drunk. That was a willful act that you knew could have life altering consequences.

I work in the transportation industry operating heavy machinery where safety is ones overwhelming top priority, and we have multiple layers of safety to minimize the Swiss cheese model when it comes to accidents. When accidents happen in my line of work (very rarely fortunately) it is 90% human error.

So don't give me this BS that babies just happen.

Last edited by papafox; 07-22-2022 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 07:52 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I think families who want children will have them and simply will adjust their spending due to inflation. If they already have a home and vehicles, one more child won't necessarily incur any necessary changes in those big items.

Also along with inflation may come salary increases and if they've owned their homes awhile, no extra housing costs.

Our immediate family has continued to have children, a grandchild born in 2020, another in 2021, and 2 coming later this year.

We will continue to provide the future workforce and tax base.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:59 AM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
It won't matter if infertility in both men and women continues to drop the way it has been the last 50 years.
How do you figure infertility rates are dropping? If anything it seems like more people need ivf. Are you saying. Before ivf infertile couples were out of luck and now they're not?

Old 07-23-2022, 12:29 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I...
Somehow I doubt that's why people have kids. They want them for whatever reasons but it's hardly altruistic. Adjusting immigration quotas and levels would work a whole lot better.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:40 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
It won't matter if infertility in both men and women continues to drop the way it has been the last 50 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
How do you figure infertility rates are dropping? If anything it seems like more people need ivf. Are you saying. Before ivf infertile couples were out of luck and now they're not?
Reproductive Problems in Both Men and Women Are Rising at an Alarming Rate

"This “1 percent effect” includes the rates of declining sperm counts, decreasing testosterone levels and increasing rates of testicular cancer, as well as a rise in the prevalence of erectile dysfunction. On the female side of the equation, miscarriage rates are also increasing by about 1 percent per year in the U.S., and so is the rate of gestational surrogacy. Meanwhile, the total fertility rate worldwide has dropped by nearly 1 percent per year from 1960 to 2018.
<snip>
This cluster of related reproductive problems—for both men and women—is presenting huge challenges to the world’s population."

Old 07-23-2022, 12:41 PM

I think "infertility rates dropping" was a misspeak, as the above poster clarifies.

But the "huge challenges" to the world's population are the billions iiving in ghastly squirming poverty.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Somehow I doubt that's why people have kids. They want them for whatever reasons but it's hardly altruistic. Adjusting immigration quotas and levels would work a whole lot better.
Only for a time. The immigration quotas is the reason the u.s. isn't effected economically the same as other countries. However, U.S. Population Grew 0.1% in 2021, Slowest Rate Since Founding of the Nation

Old 07-23-2022, 01:05 PM

The U.S. is full. No one has kids because "let's go upstairs, honey, Social Security needs more workers." If we need more people, there are plenty of people to choose from.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I think "infertility rates dropping" was a misspeak, as the above poster clarifies.

But the "huge challenges" to the world's population are the billions iiving in ghastly squirming poverty.
Population and Poverty: New Views on an Old Controversy

First published online: March 1, 2002

"Policymakers often ask how high fertility and related demographic variables affect and are affected by poverty. The popular view in the 1960s and 1970s—that fertility decline would slow population growth in developing countries and thus reduce poverty—came in for a great deal of criticism in the 1980s, and by the 1990s, it was no longer in vogue. The alternative perspective that emerged was that demographic considerations are largely irrelevant to poverty reduction."

It also speaks of a 'window of opportunity' however, that too shall pass.
Quote:
The U.S. is full. No one has kids because "let's go upstairs, honey, Social Security needs more workers." If we need more people, there are plenty of people to choose from.
It's most unfortunate that the programs the government put into place, they did so on that old view, the children are to take care of their parents. imo, it should be the other way around. [immigration dependency is a band aid]

There is a thread in the great debates forum: The Shrinking Global population.. it's a good read for those interested.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

There is a thread in the great debates forum: The Shrinking Global population.. it's a good read for those interested.

Thank you for the suggestion. I studied International Public Health (including demographics) in grad school and am always open to a cogent discussion or article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics