Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,344,548 times

Advertisements

whatever goes on between a parent and child can sometimes be irratiional,biased ,out of ordinary,defy logic>unconventional,creative ,so on,so forth !
If I suggest this scheme to my father ,he will throw me out of the house(his house)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:11 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,087,676 times
Op comes to ask for opinions and then proceeds to bicker at people that gave opinions.

Why did you even ask when you already made up your mind and all you want to do is prove yourself right?

Old 08-11-2022, 09:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,344,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
Op comes to ask for opinions and then proceeds to bicker at people that gave opinions.

Why did you even ask when you already made up your mind and all you want to do is prove yourself right?
OP has only responded once,he is not bickering at people who have opinions/
It sounds like he is well heeled to finance the purchase of a new home for his son.Personally I would not use my home to finance the purchase,use other assets.like a diamond tiara worn by Queen Victoria

Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,087,676 times
Oh it was Joylush moaning so much I confused her and op

Old 08-11-2022, 09:57 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,269,957 times
It sounds good to me to help the kids out with this.
But you want to protect yourself and your son.
So buy the house and put it in your name and rent it to them at a reasonable family-discount price of something that at least pays the property taxes and insurance (must have).
Then at some point, let them buy it from you with a bank loan after they have jobs and are settled in.
Be careful you don't cross any IRS gift tax lines.

You want avoid the biggest danger:
Suppose you had put the house in their name, and they get married, and they split up. Now suppose lawyers and some judge decides she should get half of it.
Keep it in your name until they get a bank loan and don't owner finance it.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,130,251 times
If i could afford it, it would help the kid with a down payment AFTER he was married.

A loan leads to the expectation that the money will be repaid, and if it is not, it may cause an upheaval in the relationship.

With that being said, you know your kid better than I do.

Edit: Does your area have jobs in your kid's and his fiance's fields?

Last edited by nirvana07; 08-12-2022 at 01:40 AM..

Old 08-12-2022, 12:00 PM

6,515 posts, read 8,307,205 times
If you were to have liquid assets to do this, go for it. However, I think it's foolish to take out a HELOC on your primary residence to fund this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
It sounds good to me to help the kids out with this.
But you want to protect yourself and your son.
So buy the house and put it in your name and rent it to them at a reasonable family-discount price of something that at least pays the property taxes and insurance (must have).
Then at some point, let them buy it from you with a bank loan after they have jobs and are settled in.

Be careful you don't cross any IRS gift tax lines.

You want avoid the biggest danger:
Suppose you had put the house in their name, and they get married, and they split up. Now suppose lawyers and some judge decides she should get half of it.
Keep it in your name until they get a bank loan and don't owner finance it.
If you're set on doing this, then I second what Thulsa said except I'd add to the rent payment the amount of your HELOC payment. Charge them the amount of the HELOC payment, taxes and insurance. With the stipulation that they would have to obtain a bank funded mortgage on the property ASAP (and I'd expect them to use the equity in their current home as the down payment and you could gift them some cash to make the updates).

I'll give it to your son - after paying for his undergrad and grad degrees plus giving him money toward the purchase of his first home he has some testicular fortitude asking you to put your home on the line.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,524,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
What makes you think he can’t get his own mortgage?

I didn't say anything about him not being able to get his own mortgage.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:48 PM

855 posts, read 428,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
Oh it was Joylush moaning so much I confused her and op
Yeah, must have been a senior moment. But you can’t very well use that excuse as your reason for insulting someone who just has a different opinion than yours.

You very well may not have the means to help a family member with a large purchase or have a family member worth such consideration. But you, are not everyone.

It is situationally dependent. Thus, you evaluate the pros and cons, do what you can to mitigate the cons and decide from there.

I have actual experience doing this very thing with family members, friends and strangers. Although it never involved borrowing on my end to do so.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,340,733 times
Aren't you the ones who worked an agonizing 35+ years, day in day out, to save? I get it that your son is your son but he has to stand on his own feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics