Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
You paid him back for Grad school? That's why he has his own money, you have given him yours essentially.

He has a lifetime to earn money, you are (I'm assuming as you have an adult child) potentially nearing retirement. Fund that, don't enter into what could be a complex situation that could ruin your own retirement.
No crap. Paid for undergrad, graduate, helped with the first house, financing the second

Do whatever you want but when is the kid going to stand on their own ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM

860 posts, read 438,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
He is an adult. He needs to get his own mortgage. I would not buy a house for anyone using my line of credit. This is a recipe for a disaster. I wouldn't buy anyone a house period. If they want a house, then they can buy it. Just read through this forum and you'll see all kinds of disasters where friends and family lend money or mortgage houses. My answer is NO.
What makes you think he can’t get his own mortgage? I gave my daughter a mortgage and she was more than qualified to purchase through an over priced, traditional lender. Why not save the boat load of closing costs and get a safe return on your money greater than what a bank account is paying?

I’ve financed homes for several unrelated folks in the past and it has always been a win-win. If you have a responsible adult child who has proven themselves there is nothing to fear here. That being said, everything about is done officially, not much different than any other lender would do (minus all the extra costs).

Old 08-11-2022, 10:26 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
I’d have son buy a house using his own money when he’s ready to move. Not before. If this particular home is not available then, there will be another. And he shouldn’t be buying ANYTHING jointly with the girlfriend until they are married.

Getting a HELOC to help your kid buy a house is ridiculous. Especially since he seems to be doing okay financially on his own.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:30 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
What makes you think he can’t get his own mortgage? I gave my daughter a mortgage and she was more than qualified to purchase through an over priced, traditional lender. Why not save the boat load of closing costs and get a safe return on your money greater than what a bank account is paying?

I’ve financed homes for several unrelated folks in the past and it has always been a win-win. If you have a responsible adult child who has proven themselves there is nothing to fear here. That being said, everything about is done officially, not much different than any other lender would do (minus all the extra costs).
Did you borrow money from your HELOC like the OP is thinking of doing?

Old 08-11-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post

Why not? Well the downside is default. If it’s always been a win for you great but let’s not ignore the downside as it’s sitting right in front of your face. No reason for willful blindness

Old 08-11-2022, 02:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
The real estate market is significantly less competitive that it was earlier this year in many parts of the country. You should check with a realtor to see what it’s like where you live. There might not even be a need to make an all cash offer.

If your son still feels the need to make an all cash offer, there are mortgage companies that will bridge loan him cash & then convert it into a traditional mortgage upon closing.

Big boy needs to buy his own damn house. If you want to gift them some remodeling money, that’s another thing. But I wouldn’t do it via HELOC.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Did you borrow money from your HELOC like the OP is thinking of doing?
No. I didn’t need to. But I don’t know their overall financial situation. It may make more sense to do that if they have other assets they don’t want to use instead. If that’s all they have, I would be more hesitant.

Old 08-11-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why not? Well the downside is default. If it’s always been a win for you great but let’s not ignore the downside as it’s sitting right in front of your face. No reason for willful blindness
The loan is secured by collateral. Not the highest of risk. A pain if you needed to take action for non-payment but it depends on a lot of other things and is not just reason to dismiss the arrangement outright.

This biggest risk in my mind is “if” the son fails to perform it will potentially harm their relationship. And if there are siblings will they expect the same level of housing assistance or otherwise feel he has been favored over them. Without knowing the OPs overall financial situation it’s hard to have an informed opinion.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
if you read the first post by OP,it sounds like they are eager to have the son back in the same city.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
if you read the first post by OP,it sounds like they are eager to have the son back in the same city.
That’s not impactful to the downsides of the actions more so justification to exposing themselves to risks and continuing to pay for the most major expenses their kid runs into
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics