Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

I found out many of these handymen,plumbers,electricians,painters all sign up with different websites which will give a potential customer 3 names when he needs work done.
THese 3 men all have to pay $35 to the site ,it is taken from his bank account real time when their names are selected.
But a customer would only choose one out of three,or none,or he could go to different sites and end up with the same person(s).
During the infamous URI storm, my guy told me $35 was taken from his bank account many times a day and there is no way he can service all of them if he is chosen,he finally remove himself from these websites,but it was too late,he lost so much money it wiped out all the money he saved for family vacation.
The key is to hold on to your existing customer base and hope they dont use the website to find you.
And when you do get a phone call from a potential customer from those websites,you must pick up the phone ASAP and talk as fact as you can ,quote him a price he would accept and book the appointment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 08:50 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They come across the border with no job skills of any kind and most are barely literate and very few speak any English. What sort of jobs are you expecting them to fill?

You might want a guy who can't speak English and has never seen a pipe wrench in his life to come into your house to install your new dishwasher, but I'll give it a pass. The same guy can't work the cash register at the local supermarket because he doesn't know anything about computers, he doesn't know how a store works in the USA, and he can't communicate with the customers or read the labels on the products.

He sure can't fill a position at the local law office or take that vacancy for a phlebotomist or fill in at the hospital where they need nurses. You can't turn a tractor trailer over to a man who doesn't have a driver's license, or put him to work rebuilding transmissions when he can't even drive a car.
Okay, but why are we in shortage of workers such as restaurant dishwashers, dairy farm workers? Aren't those precisely the kind of jobs undocumented people do?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They aren’t and I said repeatedly I’m not talking about small investors or mom and pop landlords. I was talking about investors who buy trailer parks and triple or quadruple land use monthly fees because they know tenants can’t afford to move their trailers and will either come up with it somehow, or move and abandon the trailer, which the investors can then keep and rent to someone else. That’s unscrupulous opportunism IMO.

I don’t care of people agree with me, but stick with the context that I presented my post in.
The your need to qualify your statements before and not after people have responded to them. Small investors buy trailer parks too and raise rents. So which group do they belong too?

Old 10-11-2022, 11:01 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They come across the border with no job skills of any kind and most are barely literate and very few speak any English. What sort of jobs are you expecting them to fill?

You might want a guy who can't speak English and has never seen a pipe wrench in his life to come into your house to install your new dishwasher, but I'll give it a pass. The same guy can't work the cash register at the local supermarket because he doesn't know anything about computers, he doesn't know how a store works in the USA, and he can't communicate with the customers or read the labels on the products.

He sure can't fill a position at the local law office or take that vacancy for a phlebotomist or fill in at the hospital where they need nurses. You can't turn a tractor trailer over to a man who doesn't have a driver's license, or put him to work rebuilding transmissions when he can't even drive a car.
I think youre wrong about the above, because I have seen multiple interviews with the ones they sent to NY and Mass, and they spoke English well and seemed quite literate.

They do a lot of jobs others don't want to do, farm work, slaughterhouses, wash dishes and clean toilets in the back of the kitchen. All positions that employers can't find enough help for.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:55 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I think youre wrong about the above, because I have seen multiple interviews with the ones they sent to NY and Mass, and they spoke English well and seemed quite literate.

They do a lot of jobs others don't want to do, farm work, slaughterhouses, wash dishes and clean toilets in the back of the kitchen. All positions that employers can't find enough help for.
How does someone "seem literate" in a 120 second interview?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:03 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How does someone "seem literate" in a 120 second interview?
I mean they sounded intelligent, not like someone whose never gone to school or read a book. I mean they could express themselves well, decent vocabulary etc. is it that hard to tell that listening to someone speak for a couple of minutes? I don’t think so.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Here's how it works: those doing the interviews are going to choose the ones they can converse with. Of course you've seen "multiple interviews" with immigrants who speak English. Reporters aren't going to interview the ones who don't.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:22 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Some people who speak Spanish do indeed have some job skills that are useful. They have education systems in Latin America. These aren't illiterates.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:35 PM

After Harvey,many of us need new roof,the roof company wil quote you a price which come to what your insurance co will give you,so you dont have to dish out the deductible .
It turns out they just subcontract with company which hire immigrant workers with no papers and pay them little money.
some said they get $1/hour for simple task,there is nothing they can do or complain

Old 10-11-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Some people who speak Spanish do indeed have some job skills that are useful. They have education systems in Latin America. These aren't illiterates.
But communication is very important if someone comes into your house and fix what is wrong.
also standards may vary,what is good enough in his own country may not be good enough for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics