Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 08:44 AM

7,774 posts, read 3,803,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
There it is. The banks are finally buckling with underperforming loans and undercapitalized reserves.
Factually incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think the target for the Fed is to cause unemployment to hit 6-7% before it will pivot.
Source? I can't find that target.

The only target I find is to get inflation down. The current unhealthfully low unemployment rate is not sustainable.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The futures dropped before the closure of SVB. It's just a bunch of big gamblers reading into every Fed members mind and has little to do with reality. Powell talked tough that got this 50 bet going but it never really made sense. They will do 25 at a time until they are ready to stop barring crazy news.
Regarding the bold -- I remember when the same interest rate prognosticators even took photos of Alan Greenspan walking to work and the thickness of an expandable satchel he carried, trying to figure out if it contained a lot of papers or not that many, and what the impact was on future interest rate movements.

Years after he retired from the Fed, Greenspan was asked about this; he chuckled (he's not prone to humor) and said, "some days I put a sandwich & an apple in my satchel."

Old 03-12-2023, 07:04 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
I hate this. It all stinks.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...egulations-svb

Old 03-12-2023, 07:51 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

The only target I find is to get inflation down. The current unhealthfully low unemployment rate is not sustainable.
Will they have the nerve to resist the political blowback of high unemployment AND inflation?

Inflation when everyone has jobs and can switch jobs at will is one thing. Yes inflation sucks, but people have more money than they've ever had so they're managing it.

Inflation when people are losing their jobs is quite another. THAT is the "stagflation" that everyone's afraid of. High inflation, high interest rates, and high unemployment = 1982 recession, which was pretty ugly.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:54 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
And there are people on this forum that say hyper-inflation can't happen in the US

With the coming bailouts we are going to see it in action, especially if FED pivots and lowers interest rates again.

Old 03-13-2023, 02:53 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

when you are missing 10 million workers low unemployment can be a fact of life .

the spike in lost workers over the age of 55 since the pandemic ,soared

ages 55-74 that left the work force for one reason or another

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-13-2023 at 03:11 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 09:14 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when you are missing 10 million workers low unemployment can be a fact of life .

Agreed. The numbers seem off to me..

Old 03-13-2023, 11:42 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Planet Money just had a podcast last week on where the workers went.

About 500k died from Covid. Working age people. We like to pretend that Covid only hurt old retired people, but it took out a non-negligible number of working age people.

Another 300-500k-ish are "damaged" by Covid somehow - either a little or a lot. Either way, they don't want or can't work more than PT or remote.

Another 500-900k dropped out due to child care or elder care issues. As worker availability declined for those services, they can't back-stop their own work, so they quit, downsized, and live off of one income and/or the income of the elder, etc...

[I know a 38 yo woman who did this. She was working. Not great jobs - service jobs like waitress etc... the kind that's hard to hire for now. During Covid her grandma got sicker & needed help. She quit to help her. Grandma doesn't have a ton of money but she has enough to help granddaughter survive if she supplements it with gigs like Uber-ing 15 hours a week. They have an understanding that grandma's house, which is paid off, will go to her when she passes. Grandma bought her a new car. Etc...]

Over 2 million retired. Workplaces were surprised how many. They interviewed an employer that gave an early retirement incentive during Covid, thinking it was a responsible move to front-load some savings on payroll. They thought a handful would take it. Instead, a flood of people took it and all that institutional knowledge disappeared practically overnight. Now they can't replace the retirements so they're just making do with less.

I guess what surprises me is that our workforce was kind of like the "just in time" manufacturing. I didn't realize how a relatively small # of workers dropping out or phasing out would cause such a big problem.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:49 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Typical political finger pointing.

The Fed Reserve lowered bank reserves to 0 in 2020 and it's still at 0 today.
That means banks do not have to keep any reserves to satisfy cash withdrawals.
Banks had to keep reserves based upon a formula for each bank.

So of course a bank will run into trouble when a big withthdrawal happens and they have no cash on hand to satisfy that withdrawal.

Over 90% of SVB customers had over the $250K deposit insurance.
Roku had nearly $500 million deposited in SVB.

What we have is a textbook example of Moral Hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics