Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 02:37 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiestoandes View Post
The salaries aren't low overseas....they're high in the US, where the cost of living was artificially jacked up.
In the way, you are right. The only way to reduce inequality is to stop rich people from making too much money.

You better make sure all the billionaires in China get the memo first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 07:58 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
The "average" manufacturing worker, if there are still some in the workforce, gets paid for, or discounted medical insurance, vacation time, a pension plan, and possibly a few more perks. Decades of these perks have become "normal", therefore expected. They, in turn, drive up costs for any business that wants to operate in the US.

On top of that, do you ever hear of an EPA or OSHA in the Pacific Rim factories? Again, they add costs.

Combine those two factors, and it explains why the jobs have left the US. And when you have hundreds of thousands of people, who desire food and shelter, they'll work for peanuts, and the factories take advantage of that fact.

Just my $0.02 worth....

Old 09-11-2022, 10:23 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Its not about what denomination the salary is, but what that denomination can buy you in those countries.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
You should watch this documentary if you think Chinese workers are not as productive as American workers

American Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Because Chinese workers are actually not as productive as American workers. This doesn't mean Chinese workers are lazier. It means that American workers are boosted by past and present capital investments. American workers are also better educated. Remember that hundreds of millions of Chinese work in subsistence agriculture. Chinese tech workers on the other hand are quite efficient and can command salaries that, while lower than American salaries, are still at a developed country level.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:15 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Or maybe the question I’m trying to ask is how is this fair that across the Far East and USA, there’s extreme unequal pay for the same exact work efforts….

Worse than that even…. Our stimulus and unemployment insurance checks for NO work ….. are multiples higher than the wages of 115-hour week sweatshop factory jobs in China, jobs filled by the very same large multinational companies that hire US retail and pay the required min wages to us but 35¢/hour to them? Have we no human dignity? Why isn’t it an equal wage for equal work for all ? If it’s that their prices are lower why then do we not help them inflate their wage so then they can inflate their price and then if they want to visit another place they aren’t broke poor in networth

Imagine for a second that we were in their shoes. Imagine there was a country idolized in global news and movie box offices and in this country imagine everything we worked for was consumed for their pleasure and they worked 5 hours per day, only 3 days per week and then chilled and partied the rest of the time. Imagine their minimum wage was $250 per hour …we would be loaded with all the cheap factories to support their consumption and we would just smile and say cool ? Why aren’t Chinese locals mad over this ?

Why aren’t they up in arms that they deserve higher a wage ? Why are they cool with this low wage? Now suppose I start a small business in China and sell all the stuff to US market but I decide I will pay Chinese workers $50/hour , would they not quit their 35¢/hour jobs in the blink of an eye ? How is that allowed ?

You don't have to go overseas to find disparate wages.

The mayor of San Francisco makes an annual base salary of $351,000. The mayors of Los Angeles and NYC make $281,000 and $258,000 respectively. (all are 2020 amounts).

And poor Mayor Lightfoot in Chicago only makes $192,000.

Is being the mayor of San Francisco (17th largest city in US, population 888,000) so much more difficult than being the mayor of Los Angeles (2nd largest city, population 3.9 million) or NYC (largest city in US, population 8.9 million) that they are paid 25% more? (2022 population figures)

Adding in the value of benefits increases the mayor of SF total compensation to $435,000.

Or how about San Diego, with a population of 1.4 million. Their mayor only gets $100,000.

https://sfstandard.com/politics/city...all-employees/
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities

Old 09-11-2022, 02:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its not about what denomination the salary is, but what that denomination can buy you in those countries.

Correct. The OP needs to study Purchasing Power Parity or read about the BigMac index. The latter should be easy enough for even the OP to understand.

Last edited by Lillie767; 09-11-2022 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 03:19 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Prices are modelled as to what the market will bear, generally.

China=communist. If the workers quit their jobs they will starve.
India=overpopulated and underdeveloped.

USA has a part in the poor wages because of our purchasing power and being high value customers who can make or break foreign suppliers. Wall Street demands increased profits year over year so Retail in our country puts the pressure on these slave factories to make more goods at the cheapest possible price or they threaten that their order will go to another manufacturer. And these foreign companies cave. If were not for the almighty greed, so many companies in America would be still in business, instead of US orders farmed out overseas to take advantage of slave labor.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:32 PM

1,861 posts, read 837,121 times
because they pay what the work worth
we pay living wages to people that dont deserve it

Old 09-11-2022, 05:01 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Or maybe the question I’m trying to ask is how is this fair that across the Far East and USA, there’s extreme unequal pay for the same exact work efforts….

Worse than that even…. Our stimulus and unemployment insurance checks for NO work ….. are multiples higher than the wages of 115-hour week sweatshop factory jobs in China, jobs filled by the very same large multinational companies that hire US retail and pay the required min wages to us but 35¢/hour to them? Have we no human dignity? Why isn’t it an equal wage for equal work for all ? If it’s that their prices are lower why then do we not help them inflate their wage so then they can inflate their price and then if they want to visit another place they aren’t broke poor in networth

Imagine for a second that we were in their shoes. Imagine there was a country idolized in global news and movie box offices and in this country imagine everything we worked for was consumed for their pleasure and they worked 5 hours per day, only 3 days per week and then chilled and partied the rest of the time. Imagine their minimum wage was $250 per hour …we would be loaded with all the cheap factories to support their consumption and we would just smile and say cool ? Why aren’t Chinese locals mad over this ?

Why aren’t they up in arms that they deserve higher a wage ? Why are they cool with this low wage? Now suppose I start a small business in China and sell all the stuff to US market but I decide I will pay Chinese workers $50/hour , would they not quit their 35¢/hour jobs in the blink of an eye ? How is that allowed ?
I see from your profile you mostly post in Politics & Other Controversies sub forum. That explains quite a bit about the way your original post is worded.

First, "fair" is a place where farmers take their prized tomatoes and giant pumpkins, where pies are judged, and where you can buy deep-fried twinkies on a stick. "Fair" is a non-concept in economics.

Second, "deserve", like "fair" is a non-concept in economics.

Third, tax attorneys in Shanghai command compensation of a quarter-million US dollars (equivalent) at a minimum. University professors, on the other hand, just recently started to see compensation exceed that of a taxi driver. This is sort of how things work in a command-and-control economic system where things are not left to the free market.

Fourth, since you've posted here in the Economics forum, it shows you have some interest in the topic, even though you haven't had much in the way of economics education. That's OK; it isn't for everyone. There are some excellent free introductory economics classes for free online, and many of them you don't even need high-school level Calculus. Why don't you start with Kahn Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...n-to-economics) and work your way up to free online economics classes from Stanford or MIT. Note for those you'll need to brush up on your calculus.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
It's more fun when most people are ignorant of economics. Nothing more entertaining when posters start talking about fairness and believe there is some higher power that decides these things. If I can't sell my products for what I do, well I'd live like a Filipino. But thankfully I can get what I do for my work. Get to the higher levels of business and you'll understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics