Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 08:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What’s 54k adjusted for actual days worked?

Tons of professions have starting pay like that. But they don’t have summers, winter break, spring break, ect off.
Many of them don't require a master's degree and 2 state certifications either. Teachers are not paid for 12 months. They are paid for 180 days in my state. They work more than that and are still only paid for 180 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:51 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many of them don't require a master's degree and 2 state certifications either. Teachers are not paid for 12 months. They are paid for 180 days in my state. They work more than that and are still only paid for 180 days.
My feild requires a masters degree and a state certification. Starting pay is usually around 50-60k. It’s not uncommon to grind 50-70 hour weeks. Do you think other professionals get paid OT for grinding hours or working beyond 180 days? The fact that you’re arguing about working “extra” beyond 180 days says it all.

Again, 54k isn’t bad at all to start taking into account hours and days worked.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
My feild requires a masters degree and a state certification. Starting pay is usually around 50-60k. It’s not uncommon to grind 50-70 hour weeks. Do you think other professionals get paid OT for grinding hours or working beyond 180 days? The fact that you’re arguing about working “extra” beyond 180 days says it all.

Again, 54k isn’t bad at all to start taking into account hours and days worked.
Where you live $54K may not be bad, but it's not going to get you into a house or most apartments outside of bad areas around here. That salary is at an inner city school in one of the poorest cities in the nation. That salary is also for teachers with experience.

I won't apologize for standing up for teachers. Do you have to have school shooter drills in your job? Is part of your job to protect students? Risk your life every day? Do you have to listen to parents every day go on about how awesome their child is and that they can do no wrong and that the teacher is the problem?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where you live $54K may not be bad, but it's not going to get you into a house or most apartments outside of bad areas around here. That salary is at an inner city school in one of the poorest cities in the nation. That salary is also for teachers with experience.

I won't apologize for standing up for teachers. Do you have to have school shooter drills in your job? Is part of your job to protect students? Risk your life every day? Do you have to listen to parents every day go on about how awesome their child is and that they can do no wrong and that the teacher is the problem?
Im not attacking teachers, so there’s no need for you to stand up for anything. This is why it’s impossible to have the discussion because a simple objective question results in emotional rants like yours.

And yes, many large corporations also have active shooter drills in todays times. And I’m sure the parents aren’t any meaner than the delusional type A types with god complexes walking around in large corporations with standards that can’t be met or moving goalposts.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:42 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Im not attacking teachers, so there’s no need for you to stand up for anything. This is why it’s impossible to have the discussion because a simple objective question results in emotional rants like yours.

And yes, many large corporations also have active shooter drills in todays times. And I’m sure the parents aren’t any meaner than the delusional type A types with god complexes walking around in large corporations with standards that can’t be met or moving goalposts.
Perhaps not, but saying things like "Tons of professions have starting pay like that. But they don’t have summers, winter break, spring break, ect off." seems like it hardly makes up for the hassles of the profession and thus, doesn't sound like it should be an advantage.

Again, I never taught, but I did foresee that even though corporate America sucks, I'm still in an office, not dealing with bratty kids, and getting paid for more than they are, with far less stress.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:45 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just to add to what you said about the time off. When I was an occupational therapist in a school district under a teacher's contract (i.e. I worked directly for the school system, not contracted through an agency) I had to work in nursing homes in the summer to make up for not having a salary in the summer. My salary was much lower than private sector jobs. I made more in one day in a nursing home than 3 or 4 days at school. By the time they take out pension, union dues, health care, etc it was fully 50% of my pay.

And teachers also work at home doing paperwork, lesson plans, grading papers, etc.

1. If your salary was unsatisfactory why did you A. take the job? B. stay?

2. Teacher's work and home paperwork, lesson planning grading papers is all accounted for in the BLS and others studies. This oddball myth that teachers work incredible hours needs to stop. The hard truth is teachers work fewer total days and fewer total hours than most other professions. Some full time nurses work 36 hours weeks and that's about it........full time business executives, lawyers, doctors, CPAs, firefighters, cops, detectives, sales people, computer programmers and on and on.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:52 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

Listen you know the emotional fix is in........any time one questions teacher pay vs. work output vs. productivity like numbers or compares teaching in an all-in way vs. other jobs one is sure to be labeled teacher hating scum-bag who does not know what s/he is talking about.

There's a piece in The Dallas Morning News today about an incredible increase in homeschooling last year further all the good to great private schools oversubscribed.

The old ways - hiring overwhelmingly from the bottom 1/3 of college graduates and on and on aren't working.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:56 AM

I take early morning calls/meetings, late night calls/meetings, and answer emails on weekends, nights, holidays, pto days. Global business never sleeps in a major corporation. Time differences between asia and Europe keep me on meetings all hours. This is where the misunderstanding comes in with teachers. Any other professional looks at them saying “oh I have to take papers home to grade” with a giant shoulder shrug….and?

Maybe there are people that hate teachers, but I think teachers are highly respected. I know the name of and could still identify everyone of my elementary school teachers 25 years later. We loved our teachers. Showered them with gifts and not all kids are “little brats”.

When I grinded 70 hours at year end, no one ever showed up with an apple and an art project to tell me how unappreciated I was.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 09-24-2022 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-24-2022, 06:59 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. If your salary was unsatisfactory why did you A. take the job? B. stay?

2. Teacher's work and home paperwork, lesson planning grading papers is all accounted for in the BLS and others studies. This oddball myth that teachers work incredible hours needs to stop. The hard truth is teachers work fewer total days and fewer total hours than most other professions. Some full time nurses work 36 hours weeks and that's about it........full time business executives, lawyers, doctors, CPAs, firefighters, cops, detectives, sales people, computer programmers and on and on.
Because I wanted to get experience in another field of practice and see if I liked it better than geriatrics, which at the time was laying off therapists due to changes in Medicare reimbursement. I stayed for 5 years then went back to geriatrics. You seem to be interpreting my post as whining or complaining rather than explaining how teachers are paid under a 10-month contract and all that it involves.

I’ve worked in public and private sectors doing the same job so I feel uniquely qualified to explain the differences between in terms of pay. It was in response to a poster who talked about having summers off. I was simply illustrating another posters response, who said most teachers have to work in the summer to make up for not getting a salary then. Not everyone understands how teacher pay works.

I want to add, regarding my salary that was so much lower in the school district than the private sector, I didn’t even start on Step 1 of the contract which is where new teachers start, I started on Step 7. Step 1 would have been $10,000 or so lower.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Perhaps not, but saying things like "Tons of professions have starting pay like that. But they don’t have summers, winter break, spring break, ect off." seems like it hardly makes up for the hassles of the profession and thus, doesn't sound like it should be an advantage.

Again, I never taught, but I did foresee that even though corporate America sucks, I'm still in an office, not dealing with bratty kids, and getting paid for more than they are, with far less stress.
Every profession has trade offs. Trade offs in pay, stress, national mobility, upward ability, benefits, deferred comp, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics