Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 02:38 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In the public sector we deal with an irrational public who will never tolerate their taxes being increased. They also think that the people with the skills to be teachers or staff have no transferable skills whatsoever and can't get private sector jobs.

In my department this past few months I lost a social studies teacher to become a real estate agent. She now makes 30k more than she did teaching and it's less stress and hours. I had an AP World Geography teacher nope out to help expand her husband's business. They're now making a lot more money. A Spanish teacher did something similar. Increasingly we have teachers quit middle of the year to take other other jobs where they make more & have less stress, leaving us in a terrible situation of having to fill the spot with unqualified and unreliable subs or stressing out the remaining faculty & staff.

The hourly staff - custodial, food service, secretarial, maintenance, they can ALL make a good 20-30% more per hour at least doing different jobs. E.g. one of the resorts near me was so frustrated they just said screw it, we're going to pay housekeepers $25 an hour, raise our room rates. I have lost custodial staff to that resort.

It's a complete s***-show and in my opinion the system is close to systemic unraveling because of this. I had NEVER seen nor even heard about teachers quitting in the middle of the year unless it was some kind of emergency. Even the old timers say they've never seen such a thing. Since last year it's happenning more and more, people just noping out.

This will trickle up to the private sector when this younger end of generation Z hits the workforce... I'm already seeing the problems of what covid did to the cohorts now making their way up the pipeline. It's bad. You think businesses can't find qualified workers now? Wait 5-10 more years when even fewer are available.
I get your frustration and I can see why it’s especially troublesome in the public sector. But honestly, I enjoy watching the employers squirm because of the outright contempt my generation was treated with coming into the work force in 2007-2009 time frame.

“People won’t remember what you did. People won’t remember what you said. People will ALWAYS remember the WAY you made them FEEL.”

Last edited by Thatsright19; 09-21-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 03:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Like I said FedEx cut the salaries of their inside sales force and new inside sales people were being offered 38-40k with no negotiation in DFW. You could make that working at Buc-ee’s gas station

Old 09-21-2022, 03:30 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Like I said FedEx cut the salaries of their inside sales force and new inside sales people were being offered 38-40k with no negotiation in DFW. You could make that working at Buc-ee’s gas station
And let’s hope they pay the price for it until they learn their lesson.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:30 PM

11,407 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I stopped listening when he said that UPS was FedEx's "only peer competitor." This is not 1985. That dude is so old and out of touch, it's ridiculous.
USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon have a combined 99% of the market. USPS at 38%, UPS at 24%, Amazon at 21%, and FedEx at 16%.

Amazon does not compete with the other 3 shippers. They only ship purchases from Amazon.

The USPS has unique monopolistic rules from the US government. It is not a direct free-market alternative to the other two. UPS and Fed Ex are the only large, high-volume competitors in their market. Every other shipper in the USA moves a miniscule, insignificant amount of goods.

What did he say that you disagree with?

Old 09-21-2022, 09:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I stopped listening when he said that UPS was FedEx's "only peer competitor." This is not 1985. That dude is so old and out of touch, it's ridiculous.
FedEX and UPS, are the only companies of their size, that's only business is the transportation of goods.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon have a combined 99% of the market. USPS at 38%, UPS at 24%, Amazon at 21%, and FedEx at 16%.

Amazon does not compete with the other 3 shippers. They only ship purchases from Amazon.

The USPS has unique monopolistic rules from the US government. It is not a direct free-market alternative to the other two. UPS and Fed Ex are the only large, high-volume competitors in their market. Every other shipper in the USA moves a miniscule, insignificant amount of goods.

What did he say that you disagree with?
I sense an "OK Boomer" sentiment in their post. They obviously don't understand much about these two companies.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
FedEX and UPS, are the only companies of their size, that's only business is the transportation of goods.
Both companies offer business outside of transportation of goods, the scale of which might be questionable but trade compliance, audit teams, loans, supply chain optimization, clearance etc. There’s a lot to it

They use the rail system a lot, the rails are in the transportation of goods business, so are the steam ship lines, so are the commercial airlines. It’s a much wider business than most understand

Old 09-21-2022, 10:33 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I know strippers who make $2600 in a night. So yeah if you're young and semi-decent looking, then there jobs out there besides McDonald's and FedEx where you're making a heck of a lot more money for much less work. Sure, eventually you'll need to find something else to do, but by then you could have earned multiple degrees and been a successful entrepreneur.

That can be a dangerous life. Back when I was younger, my BF's sister used to work at go-go bars bartending in very skimpy outfits. She had an Elvira look going on, very skinny girl. The men all loved her. She made great tips. I don't recall why she didn't drive, we used to go to pick her up. No one would mess with her because her brother would mess them up. He was a long haired Sicilian biker who eventually rode with one of the bike clubs, not the hells angels, another one.

Anyway, the BF and I broke up, I stayed in contact with the sister for a few years. She finally got her drivers license. Last I saw her was 93 when I was pregnant. Then came the internet. I was surprised my ex-BF was on classmates. He told me his sister was living in NY City, working a sex line. I didn't believe it until I called the number. She had a good voice to make a lot of money doing that.

Anyway, once their looks are gone, they will need to have some sort of skill. I don't know how popular the sex phone lines are these days, everyone wants video.

Quote:
Volunteer work? Volunteers are unpaid.

Few people today are paid under the table.

I think you're wrong. It's so easy for people to work under the table these days with the internet. They post on NextDoor, in local Facebook groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I know volunteer work is unpaid. But also specifically noted by the BLS per LFPR purposes.

Millions of people are paid under the table. No one really knows how much pay is off radar but it's several hundred billion at a minimum.

I'm not going to guess how many people do a cash business, I think the numbers would floor people if some sort of poll came out.

I can't count the number of lawn people I see driving around without signage on their trucks. Then add people like handymen and people who clean houses. I'll be surprised if every one of them has a legit business where they don't claim every dime, especially if it is cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That’s because the public sector got rid of all the golden handcuffs like pensions and such. It’s the same in the private sector. What is there to keep someone?

They are absolutely borderline delusional in the old ways. I asked for a raise and I get greeted with a “we’re not going to pay more unless you have an offer”. Well, I wanted to stay here so I didn’t play those games. I was stupid enough to think people will negotiate in good faith. And if I talk to others, my window is now closed for negotiating with them. While I have to fight for 10k with them, others would gladly pay 50k more. I’m a CPA with more than a decade of experience, with federal, state but more importantly I do international tax since the beginning with the new reform. Management has its typical brazen arrogance that everyone is replaceable. They see you as “the kid”, but what they don’t see is you’re a god damn purple unicorn in the actual economy and it isn’t 2008. I’ve worked hand and hand with amazing professionals absorbing information like a sponge they can never take away…and contrary to their arrogance, is not easy to find again.

This isn’t unique to my field but it’s especially bad in my feild. Ie the older staff are retiring in droves, this causes people to move up faster, and get more money sooner. There’s a gap blown in the middle as people have to reach up and do these higher roles, but companies also need to fill in those middle roles. Was my generation trained in mass? Nope, but I was. Grinded from the very beginning of my career making less, being expected to do more, being expected to do more beyond my years to save cost.

The clock keeps ticking. Tick tick tick.

I had a job in 2001 where I was a "Jill of all" as I could step into almost every role at the plant nursery. I was hired to clean and fill the soda machine, that turned into order picking, pruning and potting plants, inventory, driving a fork lift, driving a Kubota with 3 boat trailers attached plus doing irrigation and running errands.

They made it hard on me after I injured my back, cutting my hours. One boss who wasn't mine told me "come here" which was how I hurt myself not changing into boots to count plants in a muddy green house, well it was a bad cleaning morning due to the immigrants toilet habits. I gave my 2 week notice. I stayed friends with coworkers for close to 10 years. They were never able to hire another person to replace what I was able to do there.

I don't think they realize some people are not replaceable.

Quote:
I can't imagine how much schools will be struggling in 5-10 years. They'll probably be lucky to have half of the teachers they have today. I don't see this getting any better for decades. It's been unraveling for many, many years. Where I live, teacher's are required to have a master's degree in education (in their subject areas) and have 2 certifications. Teacher's with previous teaching experience (not subbing) are starting at $54K a year locally. Who would take that job with the education and certification requirements? Add in the ridiculous testing requirements, administrations who hate teachers, parents who do not back teachers because their children are angels, students who act like they live in the wild, school shootings, having the buy hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of supplies for your students, the list goes on and on. Why would anyone with a master's degree put themselves through this? There's a reason a local school had 400 unfilled teaching positions when school started this month.

I don't think schools will need the amount of teachers they did in the past due to people not having as many kids as they used to. I know a few schools who had restructured before COVID because they don't have as many students any more.

In the schools in my town, parents buy supplies when the school year starts and if their teacher sends a note home saying they need more. More schools should do this.

Teachers in my town are bringing in anywhere from $60k to close to $80k which is pretty good money. I can't count the number of teachers we had living in my development where houses weren't cheap, neither were taxes which were $12k to $15k.

Our local NJ radio station had a post on their Facebook page about an article about teachers. Teachers were commenting saying yes they make pretty decent money, it is the dues into the NJEA and health benefits that eat into that salary so that they do not bring home a decent wage.

I don't know what the degree requirements are in my town, I'm curious

Old 09-21-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Both companies offer business outside of transportation of goods, the scale of which might be questionable but trade compliance, audit teams, loans, supply chain optimization, clearance etc. There’s a lot to it

They use the rail system a lot, the rails are in the transportation of goods business, so are the steam ship lines, so are the commercial airlines. It’s a much wider business than most understand
The listed activities are all required to perform the tasks of accomplishing the mission. Using your logic, a hospital is in the restaurant, custodial, and HVAC businesses.

Any relationships FedEx and UPS have with other transportation modes, is via a contractual partnership. These other entities are not competitors. It's called intermodel.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:49 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I don't think schools will need the amount of teachers they did in the past due to people not having as many kids as they used to. I know a few schools who had restructured before COVID because they don't have as many students any more.

In the schools in my town, parents buy supplies when the school year starts and if their teacher sends a note home saying they need more. More schools should do this.

Teachers in my town are bringing in anywhere from $60k to close to $80k which is pretty good money. I can't count the number of teachers we had living in my development where houses weren't cheap, neither were taxes which were $12k to $15k.

Our local NJ radio station had a post on their Facebook page about an article about teachers. Teachers were commenting saying yes they make pretty decent money, it is the dues into the NJEA and health benefits that eat into that salary so that they do not bring home a decent wage.

I don't know what the degree requirements are in my town, I'm curious
They need more than they're getting now.

New Jersey is one of the best states for teachers. One of about 8-10 out of 50 that treats its teachers pretty well. Strong unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics