Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 05:03 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If by "wash out" you mean go to college, join the military, take a better job, then sure. We call that upgrading.

Everyone can flip a burger, hence the low wages. We're not talking about a highly trained chef at a Michelin restaurant getting 6 figures.
However the pressure from other employers needing the limited supply of workers along with the drop in the birth rates adds up to the unskilled being more valuable and you must compete to get them through better working conditions and/or pay and benefits to get them instead of your competitor's getting that resource.

Thus Amazon offers offers an extra dollar to keep folks who would otherwise jump ship for college, the mlitary or Wal*Mart's warehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
If by "wash out" you mean go to college, join the military, take a better job, then sure. We call that upgrading.

Everyone can flip a burger, hence the low wages. We're not talking about a highly trained chef at a Michelin restaurant getting 6 figures.
At some point a "burger flipper" learns all the stations of the store. They don't just work the grill forever. If they don't, then they are the kind that will quit in a few weeks or months.

No, I mean people who just didn't possess the skills to keep up with the pace of rushes, etc... Some people get flustered or were clumsy, just not good at that type of job. You do have to be speedy to be decent at it.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Thus Amazon offers offers an extra dollar to keep folks who would otherwise jump ship for college, the mlitary or Wal*Mart's warehouse.
Do you have any proof that this happens? Amazon will pay for college for employees so how is there incentive to leave and pay for it on your own? $1 an is not incentive for anyone.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do you have any proof that this happens? Amazon will pay for college for employees so how is there incentive to leave and pay for it on your own? $1 an is not incentive for anyone.
If $1 is not enough they simply must offer more. Amazon hopes a buck will be enough. I think they hope that maybe it gets them through Christmas and soon enough it will be more than $19/hour.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
If $1 is not enough they simply must offer more. Amazon hopes a buck will be enough. I think they hope that maybe it gets them through Christmas and soon enough it will be more than $19/hour.
So no you don't have any proof. $1 raise isn't really a dollar. A decent portion of this is taken for taxes. Amazon can absolutely afford to pay more and treat workers better. Where I live, you can work at McDonald's and Aldi for more money than Amazon's warehouse.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:35 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
At some point a "burger flipper" learns all the stations of the store. They don't just work the grill forever. If they don't, then they are the kind that will quit in a few weeks or months.
Not true at all. As a former burger flipper, that is all I did. We also had dedicated sandwich makers and cashiers for years. Not everyone can, will, or wants to be promoted, this is real life, not a fairytale movie where everyone gets a happy ending and ends up a general manager or working for corporate at headquarters.

There are countless jobs in the exact same bucket: unskilled laborers.

Quote:
Not unless that $1 is going to be more than what the military or college can offer.

Hint: it’s not
Quote:
However the pressure from other employers needing the limited supply of workers along with the drop in the birth rates adds up to the unskilled being more valuable and you must compete to get them through better working conditions and/or pay and benefits to get them instead of your competitor's getting that resource.
Not true. There is no high demand for burger flippers. Fast food services have a high turnover rate. People are getting fired everyday.

When I left the military after a decade to become a contractor, there were 20 people ready to replace me. It’s called supply and demand. You don’t have to “boost pay and benefits†when you have no problem hiring new workers.

And $1 dollar makes no difference so long as they have control of how many hours you work. It’s a great PR stunt, but anyone who has worked these jobs knows it’s BS. If my firm announced they were “boosting†pay by $1 people would start laughing.

Last edited by Rocko20; 10-24-2022 at 11:07 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
So no you don't have any proof. $1 raise isn't really a dollar. A decent portion of this is taken for taxes. Amazon can absolutely afford to pay more and treat workers better. Where I live, you can work at McDonald's and Aldi for more money than Amazon's warehouse.
The proof is the pay rate Amazon uses in their attempt to recruit and retain enough employees to run their warehouse operations. They may be correct or wrong, time will tell that story

Old 10-24-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The proof is the pay rate Amazon uses in their attempt to recruit and retain enough employees to run their warehouse operations. They may be correct or wrong, time will tell that story
Apparently you forgot what you said which I quoted and responded to.

Quote:

You still haven't provided proof of this statement. Given that Amazon will pay for a degree, it doesn't make sense to leave and pay for it yourself out of your own pocket.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:36 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
How much does McDonald's and Aldi pay in your town?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:31 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Not true at all. As a former burger flipper, that is all I did. We also had dedicated sandwich makers and cashiers for years. Not everyone can, will, or wants to be promoted, this is real life, not a fairytale movie where everyone gets a happy ending and ends up a general manager or working for corporate at headquarters.

There are countless jobs in the exact same bucket: unskilled laborers.

When I worked those jobs, people who refused to or could not learn multiple stations would get assigned only minimal work hours with no flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics