Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 09:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,698,745 times

Advertisements

I'm a boomer. I use Quicken and download twice a day. The software does all the "balancing" itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 01:18 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I'm a boomer. I use Quicken and download twice a day. The software does all the "balancing" itself.
What are you doing business wise that you need to download 2x daily?

Old 12-07-2022, 01:23 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I have some news for you about Gen X. I'm not balancing anything unless I'm paid to do it. I look at the charges. That's about it.
Right? Nothing I ever do and I'm over 50.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:20 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
I absolutely balance a checkbook. On a typical month I have maybe 13 debits coming out of my checking, 6 of which are credit card payments that vary every month. It's the only way to ensure that I have neither a. insufficient funds to cover a payment or b. an excess amount of funds in an account that pays zero interest. If you folks can come up with a smarter way than this simple old school solution, I am all ears. And don't say "there are apps...", because it's basically the same idea and I bet you I can do it quicker jotting down with a pen and paper log. I get why some may prefer electronic methods, but with the 1 minute and 30 seconds it takes me every two weeks to update my register I don't see any reason to change any time soon.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I absolutely balance a checkbook. On a typical month I have maybe 13 debits coming out of my checking, 6 of which are credit card payments that vary every month. It's the only way to ensure that I have neither a. insufficient funds to cover a payment or b. an excess amount of funds in an account that pays zero interest. If you folks can come up with a smarter way than this simple old school solution, I am all ears. And don't say "there are apps...", because it's basically the same idea and I bet you I can do it quicker jotting down with a pen and paper log. I get why some may prefer electronic methods, but with the 1 minute and 30 seconds it takes me every two weeks to update my register I don't see any reason to change any time soon.
Your register is just what you *think* it should be. If you think there is money in your account but the bank thinks there is not, any incoming check is going to bounce. The better way, in fact only way to be sure, is check the balance electronically. You can set alerts to text you every time there is a transaction and to text you your daily balance. Then you know where you stand every single day not just every two weeks.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:55 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
I haven’t balanced a checkbook in 30 years.

In fact except for gifts to the grandkids at christmas and birthdays I don’t write checks

Old 12-08-2022, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your register is just what you *think* it should be. If you think there is money in your account but the bank thinks there is not, any incoming check is going to bounce. The better way, in fact only way to be sure, is check the balance electronically. You can set alerts to text you every time there is a transaction and to text you your daily balance. Then you know where you stand every single day not just every two weeks.

Of course I'm also going to check my balance every day or so to make sure everything matches up or there's no unpleasant surprises; but that doesn't answer my question as to how let's say on the 11th I have a payment to my Chase Freedom card scheduled for $238.94, as well as an outstanding check to the cleaning lady for $120...how would I know that on that day I'll need to have $358.94 in my checking without some kind of ledger or log? Maybe you guys are a bunch of Rain Mans here who just "know", but that's definitely not me!

Old 12-08-2022, 03:58 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Being retired we live off the money in our checking account …there is always more money then we would spend so trying to track uncleared expenses has never ever been an issue .

Perhaps for those living hand to mouth it is a problem dealing with uncleared expenses , but not something we ever had to worry about…
I get alerts anytime money is deducted so I don’t even need to see a daily balance..

Old 12-08-2022, 04:07 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
I'm 59 and I haven't "balanced" my checkbook in decades. Everything is online now; why would I do it?
I can see my balance any time I wish. I do not tend to make unplanned purchases so there has never been a chance of being "overdrawn". Seems like a waste of time to me.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Being retired we live off the money in our checking account …there is always more money then we would spend so trying to track uncleared expenses has never ever been an issue .

Perhaps for those living hand to mouth it is a problem dealing with uncleared expenses , but not something we ever had to worry about…
I get alerts anytime money is deducted so I don’t even need to see a daily balance..
Does your checking pay interest? To me it seems crazy to have money just sitting in a checking account when it could be earning "something" but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics