Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times

Advertisements

I get an inordinate amount of misdirected faxes. I have contacted each of these companies with a polite phone call, letting them know that they have the wrong number. They all apologize, say they're going to change it. Some send me another within 20 minutes. Others actually LEARN!

I have recently stooped to writing rude messages over their faxes and sending them back. Once, I researched and found the home phone number for a company's CEO. I explained that I would be forwarding them to his home number. He apologized, said he would put a stop to it. (At that point they were coming 2-3 a day from his office) It took 4 days. I sent him 22 faxes in those days.

As you can imagine, this has become time consuming. I am frustrated with the ink and paper it uses to receive these. As it's been our number now for 15 months, and is our company fax number, it could be a serious problem for me to change it, including changing the company letterhead and business cards (which we bought in bulk).

A thought occurred to me this morning... THE INTERNET! I am thinking of starting a website called "faxesivereceived.com". On this website, I will post each fax I get... all the bids for jobs, all the "personal" business correspondence, the one with the company fedex account number on it...

I'm about 1 fax away from doing this.

Double check your fax numbers people! Fair warning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
i would see about getting an electronic fax service. save the paper and ink having the faxes delivered as email for you to print if you'd care to

Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I disconnect the phone cord to mine. I just plug it in when I send or am waiting for a fax.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
I did what driller did. These people waste paper like it grows on trees!

golfgod

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM

Driller - sounds great, but unfortunately the twits in my fils office aren't competent. We went rounds in the beginning, "As soon as we hang up, I'll send it" "No, I sent that fax right after we spoke" - and then there's the emails "I sent you that fax you requested. I'll be out of the office til Tuesday afternoon"... and then no one else in the office could find the paperwork.

I seem to be fighting incompentence everywhere!

I'm just a bit frustrated.

On the plus side, no new faxes yet today.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Unsolicited FAXes are not legal to send, and the sender can incur heavy fines. You can go to the trouble to find out about the law, and try to have it enforced, or just email them back that they will be reported. That may be enough to get rid of them.
Taking Action

Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks, but these aren't really "unsolicited" as much as they are faxes that are being sent to the wrong number. Apparently, years ago, my number was the fax number for a local school district maintenance office. I was patient for the first couple of months, but many of these companies are just too lazy to make note of the change in number. I get job bids, requests for maintenance, bills, demands for payment (hmmm), and in two interesting cases - a personal note and a verification of a vendor's fed ex account number. Every once in awhile, I get an ad - those I choose to ignore as they are in the minority.

To be honest, the rude and insulting faxes I send back seem to be working. I get fewer faxes now than a couple weeks ago when I decided to take this tack.

People respond to being called "morons" and "incompetent".

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Can you block the numbers they come from? Our local hospital keeps ringing our phone and it sounds like a fax machine. They do it constantly and no one there knows what to do about it. I blocked the number from my phone and no more calls.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I've gone just about faxless. There are some great desktop document scanners that cost about $300. Now I scan & email and the quality stays sharp.

When I need to fax I still use Window XP which has a fax program. Also subscribe to an internet fax service, for $10 a month it comes to my email in box and saves much hassel.

Fax machines will be the next piece of equipment to be obsolete.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM

When we moved, I looked into efax, but for $20/mo? So, I got a fax machine and hooked it up to a phone line. As I HATE having those long distance extra long phone convos with friends on the cell phone, I made the line "unlimited" and now use it for catching up with friends and family.

I'll probably have to do some research this summer into something else. I've got a good scanner that I use mostly for depositing checks (I LOVE USAA!) and uploading old photos once in awhile. It's a pretty good one. I bought it for msing and it does a good job on documents.

Again, more research needed.

Not sure how to block numbers... something I need to look up on the phone company's website.

But it felt good to vent on here. Thanks y'all!

Last edited by sskkc; 05-28-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics