Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,269,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I prefer going to Costco and getting an entire roast chicken for $5.
KR used to sell 2 for $10,now it is $7.99 for one.
SOme recipes call for whole raw chicken cut up, I have a Portuguese chicken recipe with cut up chicken,cream of chicken soup,mushroom,onion and potato with curry spice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 02:47 AM

6,738 posts, read 5,405,675 times
Around here, anyone who sells restaurant wings has been both charging more and cutting the quality for, oh at least 5-7-10 years now.

But then again, we live in NY..as in "Buffalo wings" ( yes as in Buffalo NY, so results here may be different.

I used to get a bag of 30 BIG raw wings at the grocery store for $10...then cooked them with my *own special sauce* ( developed from a base recipe while I cooked at a restaurant. That was about 10 yrs ago.

And restaurants had either a dozen or half dozen.

But now I either get a bag of small sized wings for $12-15, or need to pay about $30 for a bag of BIG raw wings.

Restaurants now have either 8 or 10 instead of a dozen, or 4 or 5 instead of a half dozen. And the price was rising before pandemic.

Either way *my special sauce* makes them better, and I can make them mild, medium or HOT, and there's 11 ingredients in my wet sauce.

I should bottle it and sell it!

Best

Old 10-31-2022, 12:59 PM

32,451 posts, read 47,260,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
........I should bottle it and sell it!.........
If that can be done at a price the public will pay.

My family grill master makes his own barbecue sauce, but by the time you add up the cost of all the spices and high cost ingredients, it is not cheap sauce.

In order to sell it, ingredients can't be any more than 1/3 the cost to make it and then it sells to the wholesaler for half the retail price. So if it costs you $2 to make it, then you'd have to get the wholesaler to pay you $6 a bottle and the store would have to sell it for $12 a bottle, and I don't think the general public would pay that. Or at least, not many would and you need volume to be profitable.

Bottled barbecue sauces are basically cheap tomato sauce and vinegar, and lots of inexpensive sugar and salt, and possibly a little bit of cheap tamarind powder. You put in 8-10 spices and real honey and high quality apple juice, it costs too much to make it and the public won't pay for it. They are conditioned to paying $3 a bottle for sauce.

I make dipping sauce with high quality apricot jam and good mustard and wouldn't be able to sell that to the public. The ingredients cost too much. If the ingredients get cheapened down (which is possible) then it isn't the same sauce.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:49 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,662,447 times
Mozz sticks are also up. At a restaurant 8 mozz stick app is like $16.95 in NYC metro.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,269,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Mozz sticks are also up. At a restaurant 8 mozz stick app is like $16.95 in NYC metro.
ALL DAIRY PRODUCTS prices have gone up,feeds and fertlisers to feed the cows have gone up.
Butter,creamer,ice cream.Boston cream pie,custard pies etc etc

Old 10-31-2022, 03:39 PM

6,507 posts, read 4,666,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Around here, anyone who sells restaurant wings has been both charging more and cutting the quality for, oh at least 5-7-10 years now.

But then again, we live in NY..as in "Buffalo wings" ( yes as in Buffalo NY, so results here may be different.

I used to get a bag of 30 BIG raw wings at the grocery store for $10...then cooked them with my *own special sauce* ( developed from a base recipe while I cooked at a restaurant. That was about 10 yrs ago.

And restaurants had either a dozen or half dozen.

But now I either get a bag of small sized wings for $12-15, or need to pay about $30 for a bag of BIG raw wings.

Restaurants now have either 8 or 10 instead of a dozen, or 4 or 5 instead of a half dozen. And the price was rising before pandemic.

Either way *my special sauce* makes them better, and I can make them mild, medium or HOT, and there's 11 ingredients in my wet sauce.

I should bottle it and sell it!

Best
Or at least share the recipe…..

Old 10-31-2022, 04:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,142,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We have House of Raeford here, a chicken processing plant. They raise their own chickens, as I believe most processors do now (Hell, even Costco is doing it, I think)..

When the pandemic started, they had an excess of chickens. With restaurants shut down, they started doing sales direct to public.

https://houseofraeford.store/collect...le-sc-11-12-22

In 2020, I was buying the 40 lb of chicken breast for $50. A few months back, it was selling for $120. It's now at $80.

Wings.. I might agree are back at pre-pandemic levels. They were cheaper than that DURING the pandemic, but.. That's kinda understandable.

One thing I'll point out about Wingstop.. They've started doing alot with thighs, because.. You see those prices.. Thighs are pretty cheap.

Also.. Wings fluctuate severely pending on many factors. Super Bowl time, the price tends to jump.
Wings are kind of a novelty but thighs are great for flavor and juiciness, and better meat/bone ratio...and if the price is right then so much the better!

Old 11-06-2022, 07:58 PM

10,086 posts, read 6,482,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Pork. The new white meat.

Nobody does wings where we live, but pork tenderloin is our go-to. Covered with black pepper and garlic....

Cheap, too. $5 a kilo.
LOL, are you sure that's pork?

LOL

Maybe, maybe not...

Old 11-07-2022, 09:10 AM

34,730 posts, read 30,742,107 times
Wings have rocketed up in price.

A 3 lb. Sam's bag of Tyson wings cost me around $20 a few weeks ago. Places that used to run wing specials often don't now, or the prices are much, much higher.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:24 AM

29,522 posts, read 11,210,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
By the way we produce so much livestock we do not eat it all. I see meats of all kinds sitting on shelves at the market. If there is a true shortage, then the shelves be empty. They never were. It was all a lie.

Wings are cheap because sellers need to off load their over supply before it sits too long. Food is perishable.
Maybe you were lucky where you live but in Arizona and Oklahoma there were lots of shortages of all sorts of things. First part of 2020 there were limits on meat products and paper products. Still waves of shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics