Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 02:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,387,311 times

Advertisements

Sometimes depend on the store,they could order less from the warehouse items which do not sell well,like expensive cut of beef,wine,seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 PM

24,189 posts, read 10,513,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Maybe you were lucky where you live but in Arizona and Oklahoma there were lots of shortages of all sorts of things. First part of 2020 there were limits on meat products and paper products. Still waves of shortages.
When and where did you experience shortages in Oklahoma?

Old 11-07-2022, 02:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,387,311 times
I am in TX,during Uri,the horrible snowstorm,we shopped in the dark,they only allowed 13 in at a time,mystery pizza,day old bread,wilted lettuce

Old 11-07-2022, 03:40 PM

10,190 posts, read 6,748,434 times
I did pick up two packages of wings last week as they were suspiciously low I think there are other factors with the price of wings (i.e.. McDonalds bought up wings at market and stored in a freezer for whole year in order to offer them a few years back.)

Old 11-07-2022, 05:40 PM

24,189 posts, read 10,513,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am in TX,during Uri,the horrible snowstorm,we shopped in the dark,they only allowed 13 in at a time,mystery pizza,day old bread,wilted lettuce
I really do not recall how many days how many were out of power and water during the winter storms since we moved in. You know it is coming just not how bad it will be. You prepare and share.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:42 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Chicken wings at our local Texas stores cost about $3/lb. Price didn't change much.
Chicken tenders are more expensive: $3.29/lb
At H‑E‑B they are ranging over 3 bucks to 4.30 a lb still too high for my likings thighs are 1.40/lb up from 0.99 pre pandemic but much better value still vs wings

Old 11-07-2022, 10:17 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
I paid $15 for 7 wings from a food truck... not something I often do, because it's a bad value proposition, but the people I work with all spend money impulsively in this matter, often in much larger amounts buying drinks at the local bars.

My inflation indicator is what are the sale prices of items, and right now we have more "loss leader" sales going on which make inflation seem not as bad as it is. I see the normal price of lots of items, but I never pay normal price, ever.

With not much time and research a person can make their own wings at home. You know those big bag of frozen chicken pieces are dirt cheap in bulk.. there's good margins on a lot of these local mom and pop type food trucks because people will overpay for food that is merely okay, but not exceptional, as long as they don't have to make it themselves. There is a time cost to cooking though... I could work a couple hours of overtime and skip all the time spent prepping and making a big meal, so an argument could be made to eat out depending on your wage.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:48 PM

17,691 posts, read 29,669,877 times
No.
Look at chicken prices from 1920 to today.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:23 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,045,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I paid $15 for 7 wings from a food truck... not something I often do, because it's a bad value proposition, but the people I work with all spend money impulsively in this matter, often in much larger amounts buying drinks at the local bars.

My inflation indicator is what are the sale prices of items, and right now we have more "loss leader" sales going on which make inflation seem not as bad as it is. I see the normal price of lots of items, but I never pay normal price, ever.

With not much time and research a person can make their own wings at home. You know those big bag of frozen chicken pieces are dirt cheap in bulk.. there's good margins on a lot of these local mom and pop type food trucks because people will overpay for food that is merely okay, but not exceptional, as long as they don't have to make it themselves. There is a time cost to cooking though... I could work a couple hours of overtime and skip all the time spent prepping and making a big meal, so an argument could be made to eat out depending on your wage.
That's about the going rate for well-prepared wings at small places like this that don't buy in huge volume.

Tyson bone-in, pre-seasoned, Buffalo wings were about $6.50 at Sam's Club when I bought them a few weeks back. They were extremely fatty, didn't taste well, etc. They weren't the same quality that many of the local BBQ and known wing places use. I'd assume the restaurants are buying much better quality wings than that.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:44 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,374,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay, did some shopping on the way home. Seasoned chicken in quarters and drumsticks is $1.29/lbs, unseasoned at $1.09/lbs but wings like $2.29/lbs! What's so special about them especially since they have less meat, right?

Is this a measure of inflation as in the question? No, not really, as it is a type of meat that apparently the public loves more......that they can charge the public more for it.

It's like brisket to me. Untrimmed packer brisket is running at $2.99/lb, that is only a buck more a pound than it was before the pandemic. The thing is, trimmed brisket and deckle are 3.99, 4.99 a pound or more and usually, more selections of them as compared to the untrimmed. They certainly make more money off that kind of cut and perhaps "common people" prefer as to untrimmed", but that's not inflation but what the market will support.

IMHO.
Where I live, the cheapest price for wings is $3.18/pound, so I wish we could get them for your price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics