Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 10:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
8 week Tbills at 4.43% doesn't suck and will likely only continue to rise. Just buy those every week for 8 weeks and keep rolling the capital back in to another set of 8 week Tbills.
No wonder my money market fund is at around 4.25% now, which is better than a MM has paid in the past dozen or more years. 1 year CD rates have cooled off a bit, from 4.9% a month or so ago down to 4.6% now. I am a retiree who is content getting 4 to 5 percent interest by just parking cash in an almost worry-free T bill, MM or CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 03:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 956,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
No wonder my money market fund is at around 4.25% now, which is better than a MM has paid in the past dozen or more years. 1 year CD rates have cooled off a bit, from 4.9% a month or so ago down to 4.6% now. I am a retiree who is content getting 4 to 5 percent interest by just parking cash in an almost worry-free T bill, MM or CD.
Tax advantages when purchasing tbills.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:21 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I want to take bets on when we'll get an ACTUAL recession. Because I want to short this bet. We had that one quarter of zero growth last year but it was revised up, and the last two quarters have shown reasonable 2.0-2.5% growth.

This upcoming recession has been the most predicted one ever. The financial media has been heralding its coming for over a year now. WHERE IS IT??

Old 01-13-2023, 07:52 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I want to take bets on when we'll get an ACTUAL recession. Because I want to short this bet. We had that one quarter of zero growth last year but it was revised up, and the last two quarters have shown reasonable 2.0-2.5% growth.

This upcoming recession has been the most predicted one ever. The financial media has been heralding its coming for over a year now. WHERE IS IT??
I think the fear of a recession is what could actually cause the recession. Businesses are preparing for it which means they're laying people off and hording capital. If this happens enough across the board it could push us into one... Or student loan payments restart and we'll be in a deep recession the next day.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:31 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Gold is down about 2%

It feels like there is a rocket booster behind it, but we'll see; as it seems the dollar decline is behind the current upswing.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:33 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Works for me

Gold in my portfolio is now up nicely

Old 01-13-2023, 08:41 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Works for me

Gold in my portfolio is now up nicely

Gonna skim some profits?.
I almost began another thread on a this topic, only it's related to the OP's thread title here.
Some very unfortunate people in this country have "nowhere to hide" on what I consider predatory lending interest rates.
I don't mean to put you on the spot, but how do banks get away with charging 25-30% interest on credit cards?. Those are pawn shop rates, should there not be a cap enforced?.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:56 AM

Banks get stiffed left and right on credit card debt ….let’s face it , those that carry balances , especially big balances likely can’t afford to either buy what they do or have weak savings and can’t pay them off .

Better customers get offers for special lower rates all the time .

I get those lower rate offers from the cards I have , but I always pay in full .

Plus look at the thousands in perks many higher end cards give …someone has to pay for that .

Plus fraud on credit cards is high ..banks have to charge rates that cover all the fraud they eat for customer accounts

There are also various people taking fees .

Card issuer: This is the bank that issues the credit cards to consumers, such as Chase, Bank of America, Capital One, etc. The interchange fees are paid to these banks to cover operation costs and risk.

Interchange fees account for most of your processing costs. The average interchange fee for credit cards is around 1.7% - 2%. They're non-negotiable, so unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about them.

Credit card network: This is the brand of the card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Amex). They take a small assessment fee for using their card brands. This fee is just 0.13-0.14%.

Credit card processor: This is the provider that helps you process credit cards (like Square). They also earn a commission with each purchase, along with other fees they charge for their service.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2023 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-13-2023, 09:13 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Credit card network: This is the brand of the card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Amex). They take a small assessment fee for using their card brands. This fee is just 0.13-0.14%.
That is correct in the case of Visa and Mastercard, but Discover and Amex actually act as the bank and take on credit risk. Different business models between V/MC and Amex/Discover.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:17 AM

No matter what , credit cards have become a costly business to conduct …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics