Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2022, 11:28 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

IRS announced on Friday that it will delay the rollout of a new rule that was set to lower the tax reporting threshold for transactions businesses make through third-party payment platforms like Venmo and Cash App.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3...ash-app-users/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ambergr...g-requirement/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/23/b...l-wallets.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 08:47 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Why, is there another election we dont know of?
IRS, what a fiasco.. They havent even processed some peoples 2020 taxes..

Old 01-15-2023, 11:56 AM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
This is part of the "AmeriKa rescue plan"
https://www.cnbc.com/select/irs-amer...ust-report-it/

What are they rescuing me from????? I thought the tax laws were supposed to favor the little guy. But I guess they want to go after the big guys AND the smallest of the small.

FJB

Old 01-15-2023, 11:58 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
This is part of the "AmeriKa rescue plan"
https://www.cnbc.com/select/irs-amer...ust-report-it/

What are they rescuing me from????? I thought the tax laws were supposed to favor the little guy. But I guess they want to go after the big guys AND the smallest of the small.

FJB
Well, if you were $31 trillion in debt, you would too.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:21 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Well, if you were $31 trillion in debt, you would too.
lol I thought I remember him saying making the "wealthy" pay their fare share. Not the mom out in Iowa selling home made candles on etsy. lol

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hest-americans

Old 01-17-2023, 11:46 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
lol I thought I remember him saying making the "wealthy" pay their fare share. Not the mom out in Iowa selling home made candles on etsy. lol

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hest-americans
Problem is it goes both ways.

While yes, you do have some people making chump change on Esty or maybe selling off their parent's stuff at an estate sale; OTOH you do have people who have made eBay and other online selling a goof part of their yearly income.

What some see as a side hustle that brings in a bit extra each month could be seen by IRS as something else. That's what has got eBay and others all upset.

Law was never meant to go after someone say selling off grandma's things as part of a one off estate sale. OTOH people who are actively buying for "X" and selling for "Y" are another matter.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

While yes, you do have some people making chump change on Esty or maybe selling off their parent's stuff at an estate sale; OTOH you do have people who have made eBay and other online selling a goof part of their yearly income.

What some see as a side hustle that brings in a bit extra each month could be seen by IRS as something else. That's what has got eBay and others all upset.

Law was never meant to go after someone say selling off grandma's things as part of a one off estate sale. OTOH people who are actively buying for "X" and selling for "Y" are another matter.
I agree. When you sell personal items, it is almost always for less than you paid, so no tax is owed. Nor can you declare a loss. As someone who pays his taxes, I expect people who have side hustles to also pay their taxes.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:04 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

20k already triggers reporting and that's gross sales.
You already lose about 13 percent to PayPal and eBay fees plus whatever the item cost.

Nobody making good money on eBay is under that 20k.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:49 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
20k already triggers reporting and that's gross sales.
You already lose about 13 percent to PayPal and eBay fees plus whatever the item cost.

Nobody making good money on eBay is under that 20k
Everyone should be reporting all of the income they receive whether you consider it to be "good money" or not. I don't care if it is $20k or $20. If I receive $1.37 in bank interest, I report it even though I won't receive a 1099 for it.

Now admittedly, I'm an extreme example of someone who follows the tax code to the letter of the law, but I don't get all the handwringing regarding tax cheats who don't report their income.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:04 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Everyone should be reporting all of the income they receive whether you consider it to be "good money" or not. I don't care if it is $20k or $20. If I receive $1.37 in bank interest, I report it even though I won't receive a 1099 for it.

Now admittedly, I'm an extreme example of someone who follows the tax code to the letter of the law, but I don't get all the handwringing regarding tax cheats who don't report their income.
I do, too. My mom died at the end of May, 2020. I did everything possible to wrap up the estate by the end of 2020. The only thing that ended up in 2021 was $1.02 of interest. I reported and itemized that amount (rounded to $1) on my 2021 Schedule B. Should I ever be audited on my taxes, my mom's taxes, or the estate taxes, I know that I filled them out correctly to the best of my ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics