Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 03:06 AM

105,708 posts, read 107,682,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Not necessarily. I spend far less than I make, and always have. At the same time, I have zero savings and always have had zero savings.
Explain.

Unless you are creating your own definition

Merriam-Webster
savings plural : money put by

: the excess of income over consumption expenditures —often used in plural

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-16-2023 at 03:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 04:20 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Not necessarily.

I spend far less than I make, and always have.

At the same time, I have zero savings and always have had zero savings.
You didn't pass the 4th grade arithmetic tests ... did you?

Old 01-16-2023, 05:02 AM

This is likely where the personal definitions of what is savings likely come in to play , like one only counts cash instruments as savings . Semantics likely.

By dictionary definition what he claims he never had is exactly the definition of what is left over

Old 01-16-2023, 06:25 AM

846 posts, read 663,959 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I spend far less than I make, and always have. At the same time, I have zero savings and always have had zero savings.
Also considering their 2 posts prior to this one, it's either a troll, or it's some attempt to be contrarian.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Also considering their 2 posts prior to this one, it's either a troll, or it's some attempt to be contrarian.
Contrarianism, whether it applies or not

Old 01-16-2023, 06:46 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,296,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There is a lot of untruth in what you say .

For one thing nyc has over half of all rentals stabilized, that mean’s guaranteed renewal and increases are voted on by a board …nyc has low income housing projects where your rent is 30% of household income .

We also have all kinds of affordable housing lottery’s where lower incomes, but not low incomes can get a certain percentage of the apartments in beautiful buildings .

We have programs where seniors never see another rent increase if the rent is 35% of their income .

We have a relatively cheap extensive mass transit system that can get you anywhere .

So there is a reason we are the Mecca for unskilled labor .

All situations here are going to vary but there is just about nothing that can’t be done cheaper here if one really want to improve their budgets including golden girling it.
Most of the large cities in the US are not like NY - very few are rent stabilized or have the transit system like NY.

Of the top 10 largest cities in the US none of the rest have the transit system of NY. Only a couple really have even an ok transit system. Some have rent control but really not on the same level as NYC.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Most of the large cities in the US are not like NY - very few are rent stabilized or have the transit system like NY.

Of the top 10 largest cities in the US none of the rest have the transit system of NY. Only a couple really have even an ok transit system. Some have rent control but really not on the same level as NYC.
Exactly the case .

But my point is nyc is also one if not the most expensive place to live in the country, and certainly tops in the world .

Yet for lower incomes it can be a blessing and many don’t realize it from outside the city .

You hear things all the time about how lower income folks can’t live in places like nyc , yet they actually have fabulous advantages here.

When posters make blanket statements about things ,the fact that 8 million Americans live here and we have more people than Mississippi and Alabama added up makes what happens here count very much when comments are made .

Especially when it is shown nyc makes blanket statements about things incorrect

Old 01-17-2023, 08:16 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,420,490 times
I barely have any cash. Cash is trash. I just use my credit card as my savings.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:47 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,772,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I barely have any cash. Cash is trash. I just use my credit card as my savings.
What? I don't even understand what you're saying here.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:32 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,420,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
What? I don't even understand what you're saying here.
What I am saying is that cash is designed to lose value. Which is why it is not wise to hold on to large amounts of it for any extended period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics