Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:21 AM

110 posts, read 92,289 times

Advertisements

Greetings, looking for some general advice for my particular situation. I am currently self employed and when not busy I feel like I'm not contributing haha

I am contemplating turning a building in the back of my property into a living area for Airbnb.

I have inheritance in the bank and I hate the idea of spending money because in my mind I feel once I spend I won't ever make money again lol

I don't want to give an exact number of how much I have but it is a decent amount however I realize decent is different for everyone.

My question is I think the Airbnb idea would be a good choice because that would only add value to my property even though it make take years to make back...

Other then that for someone in my position what would be a good recommendation as far as other business or investment outlets are concerned? Buying property with the idea of renting?

I think for me it is very mental because like I said I hate not feeling like I'm making money or contributing to the family so a good investment or staying busy with a new opportunity would help fill in the gaps.

Also another question...how do you decide on whether to take out a loan or spend the money you have in savings?

I appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 12:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 731,649 times
Physical real estate investments might be a good choice for investors that want to lower their taxes.

I would feel better in buying newer quality but there is a lot of renovation of 1960's houses.

Most investors would finance and then calculate cash-flow plus tax savings.

Many REIT's just ignore that depreciation subtracts from earnings because they renovate and repair all-along. But if a real estate location were to become unpopular then historical depreciation would make sense

Last edited by T Block; 02-03-2023 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-03-2023, 12:53 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Before doing any financial analysis, the first thing I would do is determine if converting that building to airbnb would be allowed under your zoning laws, HOA regs and CCRs, or any other property usage laws or regulations. Then, I would consider if the location would be appropriate for use as an airbnb. You need to know what the likely demand for the airbnb would be in your area. That could make your decision for you before you spent any money.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:00 PM

Thank you for the answers. I have a couple acres outside the city limits...all is good to go in that department. The area does have decent tourism throughout the year. I have a friend who has something similar and he says I could expect vicinity of 20k a year(i was thinking a little more)conservatively. I'm thinking when all said and done the transition cost would be somewhere between 80k to 120k. I have a visual that seems like it would really work. But I am also very conservative when spending big $.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
20K net?

Old 02-04-2023, 07:15 PM

Honestly I'm not sure and didn't ask further...I will have to inquire More. What are your thoughts on the 20k?

Old 02-28-2023, 07:34 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Since you have times between gigs is it possible you can take on some of the unskilled labor yourself. 80-100k feels like a lot for finishing out a shed. Then you have the possibility of a downturn when the job is done.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Several friends rent AirBnB (via competitor site), and some do very well (Neighbor gal converted a horse stable as a couple's retreat, and has been booked every weekend and all summers since 2019. Tourist region) She probably spent under $10k and it is very cute, unique, fun. and is in very high demand. OTOH... my SIL in Maui just sent pics of Airbnb tenants who left yesterday. They got drunk and busted in all the doors, broke the marble countertops, threw wine glasses (full or wine) onto the white carpet. (neighbors had complained to management and police the renters were too noisy, so I guess they wanted to illustrate what noisy really was) They had a big shouting match with police and managers at 3AM.

Anyway... YMMV. I definitely would NOT do a daily rental at my home location. (We have traveled worldwide for 30_ yrs and our 'retreat' home has always been open to WW travelers (for free)).

Spending money on properties... ONLY spend what you can recoup in enjoyment or returns. (don't overbuild for the neighborhood, which you cannot change). We have had over 40 properties (many different types). For our personal home, I always build a separate living space (30+ yrs caring for disabled parent). Eventually, I'll probably live in the extra space and my caregiver will get the 'big-house'. In the end all properties and remaining assets go to charity. The kids will have to cope.

Also another question...how do you decide on whether to take out a loan or spend the money you have in savings?

Cover your needs and emergency funds, and keep the remaining $$ working for you (I got my last 'Bank' loan at age 35, been 'self funded/ using margin acct, HELOC, mortgage equity ever since. (I dislike banks)) I've bought many props via owner finance, and am currently selling my props and carrying back the paper for retirement income. (My personal bond / income portfolio)

Property worked well for me, about 30% of my wealth. I try to NEVER buy a property that is already marketed as 'For Sale'. Too late by then to get a good deal. You need to beat the sharks to the deal (including the listing agent). Very easy to do with GIS infor.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:06 PM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post
Greetings, looking for some general advice for my particular situation. I am currently self employed and when not busy I feel like I'm not contributing haha

I am contemplating turning a building in the back of my property into a living area for Airbnb.

I have inheritance in the bank and I hate the idea of spending money because in my mind I feel once I spend I won't ever make money again lol

I don't want to give an exact number of how much I have but it is a decent amount however I realize decent is different for everyone.

My question is I think the Airbnb idea would be a good choice because that would only add value to my property even though it make take years to make back...

Other then that for someone in my position what would be a good recommendation as far as other business or investment outlets are concerned? Buying property with the idea of renting?

I think for me it is very mental because like I said I hate not feeling like I'm making money or contributing to the family so a good investment or staying busy with a new opportunity would help fill in the gaps.

I appreciate any advice.
Step 1: talk to your city to find out if "Accessory Dwelling Units" are allowed, and if so, what the permitting process is. The AirBnB idea you propose might work - but you need to be "legal" first. Some communities have codes prohibiting you from turning your building in the back into an "ADU."

Old 03-05-2023, 05:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Step 1: talk to your city to find out if "Accessory Dwelling Units" are allowed, and if so, what the permitting process is. The AirBnB idea you propose might work - but you need to be "legal" first. Some communities have codes prohibiting you from turning your building in the back into an "ADU."
Good point. In my county, only one dwelling is permitted per lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics