Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 06:13 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

In 2018 5.7% were remote workers, 2020 it was 41% of workers, for 2021 and 2022 it has leveled off at 26%.

Remote workers are projected to increase. Upto 400% over pre-pandemic levels by 2025.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/remote-work-statistics/

Most projections are consistent with the above from numerous sources.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 07:13 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Other than my girlfriend, who is fully back in the office and remote during the pandemic, I don't know many people who have gone back full time for jobs that don't need to be onsite. This place is losing people left and right anyway - lack of flexibility is huge.

Personally, I think a day a week is good - it keeps people on the same page and "connected," but for IT jobs where I'm either working on something technical or just sitting on conference calls, being in the office often simply isn't needed.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:39 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Generally office leases, especially large ones will run for ten years or more. We have to wait for those pre-COVID lease terms to run out before we can get a clear picture of the future of WFH. I don't think that clear picture will be available until some time between 2025 and 2030. It is way too early to claim that WFH is only temporary due to the pandemic.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Some companies will go back to the office full time. But, some like mine and my husbands have let leases expire/are selling office buildings because they intend to remain with most employees working remote. Both daughters and SILs companies are hybrid where the employees get to decide if/when they want to work from home vs go to the office.

Mine was already 30% remote (6,600 employees all over the country) prior to the pandemic. I’ve been FT remote for 13 years. My company has no intention to require anyone come back to the office even if an office still exists in their location. 99% of our job listings are remote. The few that are not are positions that require hands on work.

IMO anyone saying everyone will go back to the office is as wrong as anyone saying no one will.
That's very level headed.

I think it has to be examined based on a case-by-case basis.

One fact is whether a business is international, national, regional, or local. Add to that what your business actually does, and then decide do you really need to maintain a physical presence, and if you do, how big of a foot-print do you really need to make an impression?

A lot of B2B is conducted via Skype/Zoom, so unless people are tromping through your office giving presentations, you don't really need a lot of space.

Then you have to ask how much supervision do employees actually need?

That would be dependent on the job they're doing.

One thing that needs to be understood is that by requiring workers to be in the office, you are limiting your labor resources to a finite geographical area. That could be harmful in the long-run.

If your talent-pool is the San Fransisco MSA, and mine is the whole freaking world, then I have access to way more talent than you do. "My talent-pool is bigger than your talent-pool" ain't gonna start no wars, but it might but you out of business.

One issue with remote workers is professionalism.

A few months back I had occasion to call and there's a crying kid and barking dogs in the background. Obviously remote worker, but I tire easily having to constantly repeat myself because there's a crying kid and barking dogs and they can't hear what I say.

I'm sure some of the remote worker issue revolves around Mustache Petes who would puff up and blow away if they couldn't stand over an employee and scream at them all day, but they'll be gone soon enough.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Generally office leases, especially large ones will run for ten years or more. We have to wait for those pre-COVID lease terms to run out before we can get a clear picture of the future of WFH. I don't think that clear picture will be available until some time between 2025 and 2030. It is way too early to claim that WFH is only temporary due to the pandemic.
Many companies have already terminated many of their office leases that have come up for renewal in the last few years.

I used to work for a hospital system. Pre-COVID, we had at least five large IT offices that I can recall. Of these, only two were still used last I heard - the lease has gone back on the other three. One of the three has a datacenter, so that's not going anywhere soon, and the remaining one has the IT warehouse/delivery site for most of the equipment in use in the hospitals.

The need for true office space is minimal there. I work for a local government and am onsite today. There are probably ten offices and ten to fifteen cubes just on this floor. There are a few people milling around, but I'm sure it's nothing like pre-COVID.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:26 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
From the federal government agency perspective, a remote worker is someone that never comes into the office. And subsequently should be getting paid based on their home location vice the office location. Each agency can make their own rules regarding telework as long as it is within the guidelines provided by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). The current guidance requires us to be in the office two days a pay period (2 days very 2 weeks).

I am one of many who moved away from the office location. If I classified as a remote worker, I would lose over $1000/month. So for now I will commute as needed to maintain my current salary. If they change the requirements as some have proposed (at least one congressional proposal was to return to pre-Covid telework policies) I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm planning on retiring in about 4 years but if they insist on going back to office a lot more it may be a lot sooner.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Our company did not downsize the office space, but we kept the same office space despite growing over 300% in sales since 2019. Many departments have gone hybrid. Most of us work one or two days a week in the office or on a job site

Old 02-21-2023, 06:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
as ihatetodust posted:
"They offloaded a lot of buildings..."

if that becomes the standard practice,
what, in your opinion, will be the result?
The buldings will get converted to apartments or condos

Old 02-21-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Many do not meet residential code easily. AFAIK, most residences are required to have windows to the outside. The interior of a cube farm wouldn't meet that requirement without significant remodeling.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:20 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Maybe raze and rebuild with housing but for most offices renovation to housing would be a problem due to building shape, locations of windows, and plumbing needed for kitchens and bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics