Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2023, 08:30 AM

72 posts, read 109,261 times

Advertisements

Is it unsafe? When I was broke a couple of years ago and wanted a present for my birthday, I shamefully went on Reddit and asked for help thinking I'd get no responses. Interestingly, I got someone to send me €40.

My friend says this was stupid for the person as someone could have stolen the details but is that just paranoia? As far as I'm aware, no one can do anything with your BIC, IBAN, or even PayPal username. Even if someone did get your password, many baking apps/merchants use 2FA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 11:26 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Yes, it is perfectly safe.

So while you're at it, go ahead and post in this thread your bank details, account number, routing number here. While you're at it, post your Social Security Number, the name of your favorite pet, the name of the Elementary School you attended, the name of your high school mascot, the make/model of your first car, your mother's maiden name, and the names of your nieces and nephews.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:10 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
I'm not going to hand my bank info to anyone unless I know them extremely well and there's no alternative. Certainly not some "generous" stranger from Reddit. They might think sending you a measly $40 was a good investment in the future. OK, maybe they would eventually get caught trying to access your account later but tracking them down takes time. A savvy scammer can get away with a lot in minutes.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:13 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
There are scammers out there who will use ANY scrap of information in their
attempts to steal from someone.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.....they do not care, they will try.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:21 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Their good.. very good.. be wary of all.. I remember the first ones were all Indian or African royalty who had to hide money away in UK or US banks for safety and would pay thousands if I would do this for them... they were usually signed Princess whatdomecallit.. and easy to spot ..now however theyve got very smart... so never ever give out your bank or any other personal details to anyone... my daughter too was on a holiday site.. to book a holiday.. but then got what she thought was an email from the company... it wasnt... they asked for a bank transfer instead of paid through paypal..or whatever.. this is another scam but done very well.. dont fall for any of them..

Old 03-04-2023, 04:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Sure it is, give me your account number, and SS, and what bank, thanks.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:58 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Any time you write a check you've given that information out...Checks aren't as common anymore, but all the same...

Old 03-07-2023, 01:48 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Is it unsafe? When I was broke a couple of years ago and wanted a present for my birthday, I shamefully went on Reddit and asked for help thinking I'd get no responses. Interestingly, I got someone to send me €40.

My friend says this was stupid for the person as someone could have stolen the details but is that just paranoia? As far as I'm aware, no one can do anything with your BIC, IBAN, or even PayPal username. Even if someone did get your password, many baking apps/merchants use 2FA.
2FA is not foolproof. A cybercriminal may be able to call your carrier, claim to be you, and get texts redirected to a device they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics