Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 05:22 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
That's crazy! Where do you live? Mine average $160 right now (Ontario, Canada).
Deer Valley, Utah (Park City). I'm at 7500 ft elevation in a ski resort. This year we have just been hammered with snow (we got another 30" two nights ago). We're calling this winter Snowmageddon. And it has been unusually cold.

The biggest contributor to my bill is I have a large heated concrete driveway - about 150 feet long with parking for a dozen cars. My equipment room has 3 massive boilers, manifolds & recirculation pumps to circulate hot glycol to heat the driveway to melt the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
All the electric supply rate increases that were pushed through and approved were based on the high price of natural gas used for generation. Now we are at the low end of the 10-year range yet I see no calls for electric supply rate decreases. What gives?
It's called "downward stickiness", as if giving it a name makes it any better. Across most product categories, manufacturers and retailers don't lower prices all that quickly. After all, consumers are paying the higher price, and it takes a while for competition to result in lower prices.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:45 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Deer Valley, Utah (Park City). I'm at 7500 ft elevation in a ski resort. This year we have just been hammered with snow (we got another 30" two nights ago). We're calling this winter Snowmageddon. And it has been unusually cold.

The biggest contributor to my bill is I have a large heated concrete driveway - about 150 feet long with parking for a dozen cars. My equipment room has 3 massive boilers, manifolds & recirculation pumps to circulate hot glycol to heat the driveway to melt the snow.
The Wall Street Journal yesterday highlighted the house of a Park City home owner. Bought the house for $38.5m a few years back, never spent a night there, and now has it priced to sell at $50m.

Neighbor of yours?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rocksta...d=re_lead_pos1

Old 02-23-2023, 06:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 731,649 times
Western Europe was stocking up on liquefied-natural-gas.

We could reform hydrogen from natural-gas and capture the carbon-dioxide but instead we ship LNG

Old 02-23-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
The Wall Street Journal yesterday highlighted the house of a Park City home owner. Bought the house for $38.5m a few years back, never spent a night there, and now has it priced to sell at $50m.

Neighbor of yours?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rocksta...d=re_lead_pos1
No, not my neighbor - although we do have some billionaires in the 'hood. A Romney compound is around the corner, and a Marriott family member has a large home nearby.

But down in Las Vegas, my nextdoor neighbor was Tom Anderson, who founded MySpace & sold it to Rupert Murdoch for something like $560 million. That house also was barely lived in, as Tom mostly traveled around the world. It took Tom several years to sell it, closing last year. Leaving a house empty for a long time isn't good - entropy sets in. Another neighbor is a former Tesla Board of Directors member.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 02-23-2023 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-23-2023, 07:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Natural-gas prices have dropped more than 65% since mid-December and this week hit their lowest level since 2020’s pandemic lockdown, leading producers to throttle back drilling in a dramatic turn in the market for the heating and power-generation fuel. Expensive natural gas was a contributor to inflation measures over the past two years.
Natural gas is more costly to produce than due to myriad regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Of course most here don’t understand a lot of what we are seeing has nothing to do with money supply .

Eggs fell 52% from their high .

In March 2022, the price of lumber was around $1,460. On January 6, 2022, prices fell to $354

Increase the supply of many things and prices fall
Yes, Demand-pull Inflation.

The issue with eggs was an avian virus infecting chickens which resulted in a lot of chickens being slaughtered to prevent the spread.

The issue with lumber is supply chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
That's crazy! Where do you live? Mine average $160 right now (Ontario, Canada).
It doesn't matter where people live. People are spoiled rotten.

That's what I hate about PIP. Those old skins run their air-conditioners and heat 24/7/365 because it's free money.

The way it ought to work is their allotted $45-$75/month based on their location and square footage and anything over that they pay out-of-pocket instead of me paying it because they won't turn the thermostat down from 76°F to 72°F in Winter and too lazy to open a window or run a fan and have it at 68°F in Summer.

Most people have high utility bills because they wanna run around in their underwear instead of wearing a sweatshirt/sweater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Which is super annoying because I was looking to put a split rail fence around an acre and got quotes early last year but decided to hold off because of lumber prices and I figured they'd eventually come down. Now that prices have "come down" I'm really not seeing any decrease in wood fencing.
Raw lumber and finished lumber are not the same thing and there are still supply chain issues with finished lumber.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:46 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Natural-gas prices have dropped more than 65% since mid-December and this week hit their lowest level since 2020’s pandemic lockdown, leading producers to throttle back drilling in a dramatic turn in the market for the heating and power-generation fuel. Expensive natural gas was a contributor to inflation measures over the past two years.

Eventually, this will show up in our home heating bills (mine have been ~ $1500/month this winter).
It sure has not shown up in mine. I've never had such crazy high winter gas bills. $250 a month, small house, and I live alone. It's nuts.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:57 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Natural-gas prices have dropped more than 65% since mid-December.
Go to https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/natural-gas and set your own timeframe over the last 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics