Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 07:20 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I know it's difficult to comprehend that not everything, esp. public works, has to be profitable or even break even.
Imagine NYC shutting down the subway system because it's $2B in the red.
Certain transportation modalities are simply cheaper than others. I don't believe transportation networks can operate at a profit in most cases (American freight rail is an exception, largely because the rights of way were granted when the land was empty), otherwise they would be privatized. However the cost to fly people between New York and Los Angeles in an airplane, even accounting for the cost of the airports at either end, is much lower in terms of time and money than having those same people ride a train. I never claimed that rail has to be break even to be reasonable. However it does need to be cheaper than air travel and interstate highway travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 07:22 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
I know it's difficult to comprehend that not everything, esp. public works, has to be profitable or even break even.
Imagine NYC shutting down the subway system because it's $2B in the red.
So....I take it you're happy to personally make up the $2B shortfall?

Old 03-14-2023, 05:50 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
So....I take it you're happy to personally make up the $2B shortfall?
You don't pay the cost of the roads you drive on, so it's reasonable to provide a subsidy for public transport in a city as dense as NYC.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:20 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You don't pay the cost of the roads you drive on, so it's reasonable to provide a subsidy for public transport in a city as dense as NYC.
I agree that subsidizing public transit is reasonable considering roads and airports are also subsidized, but that doesn't mean that transit projects shouldn't be scrutinized.

There was a "conservative" mayor (Rob Ford) here in Toronto that recently sold off some land that made up a future rail transit right of way to developers because he decided we're just going to build a tunnel bored subway instead so we don't need the land...

And then he was voted out of office and the new mayor decided to go with a more affordable and practical solution to build a light rail line, but it still had to be underground since the ROW for a more affordable at grade route is gone.

The cost of the California HSR is ridiculous. I have to think that there would have been a way to build a good rail link at a lower cost. And if not, then investing that money in local transit such as buses, light rail, even commuter rail and heavy rail, would have gone further.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:35 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I agree that subsidizing public transit is reasonable considering roads and airports are also subsidized, but that doesn't mean that transit projects shouldn't be scrutinized.

There was a "conservative" mayor (Rob Ford) here in Toronto that recently sold off some land that made up a future rail transit right of way to developers because he decided we're just going to build a tunnel bored subway instead so we don't need the land...

And then he was voted out of office and the new mayor decided to go with a more affordable and practical solution to build a light rail line, but it still had to be underground since the ROW for a more affordable at grade route is gone.

The cost of the California HSR is ridiculous. I have to think that there would have been a way to build a good rail link at a lower cost. And if not, then investing that money in local transit such as buses, light rail, even commuter rail and heavy rail, would have gone further.
The projects should definitely be scrutinized, and that includes roads, rail, and buses. But there also has to be some kind of understanding that each of those modes has its place, which seems to be difficult for some folks to accept. And that includes pundits from all sides, from the anti-rail people to the anti-road people.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:06 AM

2,309 posts, read 956,773 times
Quote:
These people are so dense that they don't understand the economic value have an efficient mass transit system adds to the economy of the city.
Imagine how much productivity is lost because people are stuck in gridlock getting to work.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an audit to see where savings can be had, a lot of it probably lost to theft from OT fraud and poor management that enables this.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
These people are so dense that they don't understand the economic value have an efficient mass transit system adds to the economy of the city.
Imagine how much productivity is lost because people are stuck in gridlock getting to work.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an audit to see where savings can be had, a lot of it probably lost to theft from OT fraud and poor management that enables this.
So I take it you've personally cut a check to MTA to cover the shortfall? Yes or No?

If you think it's so valuable, pay for it out of your own pocket.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Then subsidize it out of your own pocket.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Is the American inability to build infrastructure a good thing?

It's good for my mechanics, fix the roads!.
And, I've noticed the infrastructure countries in Asia to be better than ours; in comparison the U.S. looks rather third world.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 19,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Given that global populations will max out later this century, and have already maxed out in many developed countries, will infrastructure become a white elephant?

I'm not alleging any great wisdom on the part of American policymakers due to their and our inability to build infrastructure, beyond a mere reading of the prices for new infrastructure and gagging at the cost.

But is this reluctance to build actually the better policy, better than say China with its insane real estate industry or Spain's high speed rail? You already see an advanced case of "infrastructureitis" in Japan, where politicians are addicted to capital projects and the public debt is ~2.5x GDP.

Maintaining infrastructure needs to be a serious priority. It shouldn't take special bills to happen. It should mostly be baked into the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics