Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,310,433 times

Advertisements

momo

I think in the coming years with this long and drawn out downturn we are about to see, mom and pop shops will make a come back. I am all for supporting local shops any day of the week, even if it is slightly more money. As long as they have good customer service and they in turn support the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
momo

I think in the coming years with this long and drawn out downturn we are about to see, mom and pop shops will make a come back. I am all for supporting local shops any day of the week, even if it is slightly more money. As long as they have good customer service and they in turn support the community.
I don't think so the overhead costs are way to high to survive. More and more big shops or big companies will start new shops maybe even smaller once, but IMO the time of mom and pop shops is history.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,877,037 times
Quote:
More and more big shops or big companies will start new shops maybe even smaller once, but IMO the time of mom and pop shops is history.
Maybe, but quality work & outstanding service may save the day. I learned years ago you're never disappointed in quality and I don't mind paying for it.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't think so the overhead costs are way to high to survive. More and more big shops or big companies will start new shops maybe even smaller once, but IMO the time of mom and pop shops is history.
with higher and higher energy cost and couple that with increasing wages in asia (where all these goods from big box companies are made) are all going up. As input prices increased it will be more affordable to make and buy goods made on this side of the world. Those not able to shift quick enough will go the way of the dodo bird. This will level the playing field for a lot of people both big box and mom and pop I think will be on a level playing field soon. I say with in the next decade. Globalization will be short lived.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,946,401 times
Not surprised at all. LNT's been talked about for some time now. Last Sunday I went to LNT and Pier 1 (right next to each other). It was eerie... a total of 7 or 8 cars in the parking lot... Home Depot and Lowe's seem to still be doing better, but not a whole lot better.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,191,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Best way to find products NOT made in other countries is to shop at your LOCALLY OWNED businesses. The manager/owner is more open to hearing about problems and it does effect them in the pocketbook when many items are returned unlike a large box store that the manager or returns clerk does not have to pay for it (directly at least or not till the end when they lose their job due to lower profits). Not only will you be more likely to find items made in the USA but you will get a MUCH MORE knowledgable person to help you out that KNOWS the products and what they can do or at least knows who to call and find out for you.
i really thought that i would chew my arm off before i gave you a positive rating momof2..........

i couldn't have said it better myself though. well done

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
with higher and higher energy cost and couple that with increasing wages in asia (where all these goods from big box companies are made) are all going up. As input prices increased it will be more affordable to make and buy goods made on this side of the world. Those not able to shift quick enough will go the way of the dodo bird. This will level the playing field for a lot of people both big box and mom and pop I think will be on a level playing field soon. I say with in the next decade. Globalization will be short lived.
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy American made stuff. I'm all for that I try to buy as much as possible myself...but don't believe the mom and pop stores can manage to keep their head above the water to compete with the bigger retailers. They will open closer to the communities faster as a mom and pop store can open and will get better lease options.
I'm all for people startin their own store, which I have done in the past and enjoyed very much, but IMO the costs are very high and the bigger retailers will come up with small shops with lower overhead costs and they will put others out of business because of their prices....nobody is going to buy a similar thing for a higher price if you can buy it cheaper....being nice isn't in the wallet of customers.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy American made stuff. I'm all for that I try to buy as much as possible myself...but don't believe the mom and pop stores can manage to keep their head above the water to compete with the bigger retailers. They will open closer to the communities faster as a mom and pop store can open and will get better lease options.
I'm all for people startin their own store, which I have done in the past and enjoyed very much, but IMO the costs are very high and the bigger retailers will come up with small shops with lower overhead costs and they will put others out of business because of their prices....nobody is going to buy a similar thing for a higher price if you can buy it cheaper....being nice isn't in the wallet of customers.
I guess time will tell

Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,662,497 times
I think this will cause a "shake out" in Florida where retail properties are as much as 500% overpriced. As a kid in the 70's I remember some shopping centers being completely empty. This will be coming soon in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 AM

tallrick

bingo

commercial real estate is going to go into a nose dive soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics