Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 02:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I've never heard of investing untaxed $ then getting it back, plus any gains, tax free later in life.

What the heck is he's talking about ?
It depends how much retirement income you have, and what sources they are coming from.

Hopefully you know about the standard deduction? For tax year 2022 it's $25,900 for a joint return. In addition, for each person age 65+ there's an additional deduction of $1400. So for a joint return with both spouses 65+ you do not pay any federal tax on taxable income up to $28,700.

The rules for taxing Social Security are complex, but they favor people with lower incomes. The amount of your SS check that counts as taxable income is always less than your benefit, and in extreme cases none of it at all counts as taxable income. The upshot is that for modest incomes, where little of the SS benefit is counted as taxable income, most of the standard deduction remains to be counted against other income such as taxable 401k withdrawals.

For example, a joint return with $25,000 in Social Security benefits and $25,000 in taxable 401k/IRA withdrawals has zero federal tax liability, if both filers are age 65+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 03:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It depends how much retirement income you have, and what sources they are coming from.

Hopefully you know about the standard deduction? For tax year 2022 it's $25,900 for a joint return. In addition, for each person age 65+ there's an additional deduction of $1400. So for a joint return with both spouses 65+ you do not pay any federal tax on taxable income up to $28,700.

The rules for taxing Social Security are complex, but they favor people with lower incomes. The amount of your SS check that counts as taxable income is always less than your benefit, and in extreme cases none of it at all counts as taxable income. The upshot is that for modest incomes, where little of the SS benefit is counted as taxable income, most of the standard deduction remains to be counted against other income such as taxable 401k withdrawals.

For example, a joint return with $25,000 in Social Security benefits and $25,000 in taxable 401k/IRA withdrawals has zero federal tax liability, if both filers are age 65+.

Your bolded example is sounding very close to what this accountant was saying.

Joint return, 25K each social security income (untaxed) and 25K taxable IRA withdrawals would have zero federal tax liability.

Your example or the example I just wrote sounds like pretax $ put into a traditional IRA would result in zero federal tax ever being paid on both contributions and withdrawals.

Equaling tax free invested $ and tax free gains on RMD $

I think I will make no changes this year out of fear of getting it wrong. It is so complex. I thank everyone who has responded.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
Quote:
Your example or the example I just wrote sounds like pretax $ put into a traditional IRA would result in zero federal tax ever being paid on both contributions and withdrawals.
Yes.

Quote:
I think I will make no changes this year out of fear of getting it wrong. It is so complex.
Keep in mind that "some of each" is a perfectly fine solution. Unless a person has other sources of taxable retirement income (e.g., pensions, wages, taxable bank or brokerage accounts) I'll wager the best answer is likely "some of each".

Because of the progressive nature of the tax code, the tax liability on 401k draws of say $10k or $20k annually tends to be pretty light, even if you're collecting Social Security. If your only significant sources of retirement income are Social Security and 401k/IRA accounts, I doubt it would be a mistake to have a few hundred thousand dollars in a Traditional account.

The folks who end up regretting the Trad 401k tend to be the ones who have plenty of retirement income from other sources... pensions, taxable interest/dividends, part-time work. They contributed to their 401k as a way to reduce their tax bill while working, without considering future consequences. When they are finally forced to take RMDs they are paying taxes in a high bracket, and possibly triggering higher Medicare premiums. It can be a real mess. These people should be using Roth accounts exclusively.

Last edited by hikernut; 03-23-2023 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 05:41 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
t rowe price did an in depth look into roths.

they found that even if tax rates didn’t change in retirement the roth could give you up to 20% more over a typical career that starts low and rises in income and brackets over decades

according to t.rowe's study:

Most investors remain in the same tax bracket during retirement. However, if an investor’s tax bracket happens to drop by at least 9% and they are over 50 years old, the Traditional IRA becomes more valuable.

A 65-year old would only need a 6% drop in their tax bracket for a Traditional IRA contribution to be more advantageous than the Roth IRA in retirement.

https://www.troweprice.com/content/d...eEffective.pdf

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-23-2023 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 06:15 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If I were to do it all over again from the beginning of my 40 year corporate working career, I would have put retirement savings beyond the 6% 401K (matched 50% by my employer) into a Roth IRA.
If I could do it all over again, I'd join Microsoft as employee #3.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Hopefully you know about the standard deduction? For tax year 2022 it's $25,900 for a joint return.
Indeed, we stuff Roth conversions into the standard deduction every year, essentially taking money we were never taxed on and turning it into money we will never be taxed on. The rest of our income needs from capital gains and dividends all fall in the 0% income bracket, which I believe is about 83k now for married filing jointly.

I am proud to be a zero fed tax burden leech

Old 03-23-2023, 06:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
My parents are in this untaxed group as well. I do their simple returns and their only income is social security, RMDs and a small annuity.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:34 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
OP,
I imagine there are 1 or 2,3 scenarios where a Roth would be non-advantageous. It's an exercise of counting sheep for me.

Probably more reasons not to put too much into tax advantaged programs, if you are only thinking for yourself and spouse; Too much RMD income also becomes a challenge when one has a fugal mentality. You will just have to sleep on this to discover, why.
Sweet Dreams.
YDMV.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Do you intend to leave an inheritance to your children?
If yes, then Roth. Unless your kids are very poor.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:38 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP,
I imagine there are 1 or 2,3 scenarios where a Roth would be non-advantageous. It's an exercise of counting sheep for me.

Probably more reasons not to put too much into tax advantaged programs, if you are only thinking for yourself and spouse; Too much RMD income also becomes a challenge when one has a fugal mentality. You will just have to sleep on this to discover, why.
Sweet Dreams.
YDMV.
one does not need to spend the all of the rmds ..in fact most can’t , it has to be reinvested in the taxable side in order to keep spinning off the income they need .

we simply take my wife’s rmds and put them back in the same fund in the taxable account.

when rmds are spent it is way to easy to have a higher draw rate then one should

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-24-2023 at 02:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics