Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 PM

303 posts, read 1,385,987 times

Advertisements

I have a question for a Financial Managment test I'm not sure about:

"What happens to the value of money if prices in general fall?"

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
I have a question for a Financial Managment test I'm not sure about:

THANKS
Generally that is called deflation. Such as is happening in Real Estate. Severe recession is usually associated with Depressions.

The Powers that be are battling that now, at least in their own mind. That is why the Fed is throwing money into the banks without regard to the merit of the various banks, and why the Treasury (via the IRS) is sending out the please-go-something-stupid-with-this-money "stimulus" checks.

They figure throwing more cash into the mess might keep the boat from sinking.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
In answer to you question - Purchasing power increases.

What is happening in the current real estate market is a price correction. Prices were too high to sustain themselves due to speculation. The Fed was trying to give the banks a softer landing in an uncertain floor so as not to collapse the entire financial system and in doing so by weakening the dollar among other things have caused inflation in general living prices (food) and as investors have redirected speculation into petroleum. In this way we are all paying for those who wanted (and did) make a 50% return on their house in a few short months, and also their conspirators.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 06-02-2008 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post

The value of your money increases, because it buys more stuff

When prices rise (in general), the value of your money DECREASES, as it buys less stuff, especially next year if you have buried it under your pillow, as the prices keep rising and if your pillow is not paying interest you are losing value every day. So typically $1 this yr buys 2 oranges (@ $.69 / lb) a couple yrs ago it would buy 4 oranges @ $.30 / lb) the value of your money DECREASED as prices increased.

BUT ... next yr it will buy you 1 orange, even tho we don't call it inflation, just consider you will be paying a $.50 'energy surcharge' for that $.35 item

I won't get into the housing thing.... I'm more worried about eating, I can sleep under a bridge.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

I won't get into the housing thing.... I'm more worried about eating, I can sleep under a bridge.
Do you figure . . . that once the (now) public roads are sold off as toll roads . . . they will start charging rent to sleep under the bridges?

That might help cover a CEO bonus or stock option. The important stuff, yunno.

As far as hungry, I would recommend eating Capitalists. While some are sort of old and stringy, anymore they tend to be low fat and well fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics