U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,711,140 times

Advertisements

Things are NOT going in the right direction. The only blessing I see in this is weight loss...

Quote:
Food prices to rise 9 percent a year: analyst

By Charles Abbott 2 hours, 26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. food prices will rise a stiff 9 percent a year through 2012, the largest increase since 1979 and the result of record-high crop prices, the head of an economic consulting company said on Thursday.
Food prices to rise 9 percent a year: analyst - Yahoo! News (broken link)

BTW, and as a sidenote, the Mayan calendar ends in 2012.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 PM

32,464 posts, read 52,793,499 times
So you think that I can raise my prices for freerange eggs a bit?

Right now I have been getting $3/dozen, how about $3.50/dozen?

They run loose in the forest following my goats, feeding themselves all summer. One month of egg sales pays for the entire winter of feed bills. The rest is profit.

Maybe I should hatch some more chickens, increase my flock.

Honey prices are already going up

Maple syrup is going up too

Darn I do hate this economy

It just keeps making me more profits.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,651,000 times
This is just a useless prediction, there is no way of predicting this in a reasonable way. If you could, you'd be rich.

Quote:
Honestly this should sound an alarm. If your profits are increasing than your price increases aren't mere inflation.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is just a useless prediction, there is no way of predicting this in a reasonable way. If you could, you'd be rich.

Honestly this should sound an alarm. If your profits are increasing than your price increases aren't mere inflation.
It depends on your business model.

In the case of eggs:
[egg prices at grocery stores run a span of prices, from a base price to roughly double that, X to 2X]

Buying livestock feed from a national chain does go up each year [they blame trucking].

If you feed your chickens commercial feed [which is loaded with antibiotics and meds] all year around, then the break-even cost of your eggs will be right about the high-end pricing of commercial eggs at the grocery store [ 2X ]. Your eggs will be thin shelled, with light coloured yolks, and the yolks will be fragile. Your eggs will look, feel and taste just like commercial eggs. We have done this business model. Once folks are familiar with your product, they do not want to pay more than maybe X price for these eggs. And while your production will be very high, annually your gross receipts will about equal the feed bill. [the price of the hens, coops, electric, will all be a loss on the books]

If you feed your chickens through the winter, and let them freerange during the summer; then you produce less eggs. But one summer month of egg production [with 'freerange egg prices set at 2X] will break even your annual gross expense on feed. Your eggs will be thick shelled, with dark orange coloured yolks, and the yolks will be strong and will stand up. Most customers prefer this style of egg once they have eaten them. We have done this business model.

One summer month of egg production pays the annual feed bill. A second month of production pretty much covers the expenses of: buying the chicks, raising them for one year to get them to production size, building the coops, and the electric. The rest of summer production, and all off-season egg production is profit.

We have located grain producers who are organic, some of them use heavy equipment while others use draft horses. Their grains have no added meds or antibiotics. Their grains are priced at ~25% of the price of the commercial livestock feeds. [Commercial feed is ~$13 for a 50pound sack, local grain is ~$3.50 for a 50pound sack.] But the local organic grains do not store well, they tend to mold. So once you buy them, you need to seriously consider storage.

We are collecting 55-gallon drums. We plan to setup 20 drums filled with grain in the fall, with a small pail of desiccant in each drum, and then sealed. Hoping that it will provide safe storage through the winter months.

Chickens eating the organic grains tend to produce a thick shelled egg with stronger yolks, maybe a shade between yellow and orange. So you should still get a higher price, 1.75X in not 2X or higher. I have seen organic eggs of this quality that were graded going for 3X.

And I am thinking that we might be able to put the chickens on organic feed all year around, maintaining the higher production levels, and still lower our annual feed bill.

So one summer month of heavy egg production should pay the annual feed bill, plus all expenses of: buying the chicks, raising them for one year to get them to production size, building the coops, and the electric.

On the other hand, this year we have been incubating our own eggs, and hatching our own chicks. The cost of doing this is about half the cost of buying chicks on-line. So our expenses continue to drop.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 AM

5,409 posts, read 10,331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Darn I do hate this economy
I always seem to stay busy and things get better during the "down" times, too.

And suppliers and help get available and actually helpful, as well.

Quote:
If you do not watch it, you will wind up owing . . . . Income Taxes! egad!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
If you do not watch it, you will wind up owing . . . . Income Taxes! egad!
Thanks for your concern, we are pretty much sheltered though.

I am not really concerned much about the possibility of starting to pay income taxes.

Though you are right to remind folks that we should all keep this in mind. More so if you do not have consistant sheltering.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 AM

58,989 posts, read 46,144,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Things are NOT going in the right direction. The only blessing I see in this is weight loss...

Food prices to rise 9 percent a year: analyst - Yahoo! News (broken link)

BTW, and as a sidenote, the Mayan calendar ends in 2012.
You ever wonder how a consulting economist gets business, gets their name in the paper...free advertising?
Also, no mention of substitution...which I will certainly be doing some of.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

5,409 posts, read 10,331,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Also, no mention of substitution...which I will certainly be doing some of.
I hear that Spam sales are heading way up.

ENJOY!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 AM

10,710 posts, read 8,791,779 times
They were probably under on the real food inflation that last couple of years.

Notice recently that Chik-Fil-A has realigned its menu. They used to sell the cole slaw as part of the sandwich, fries, cole slaw, and drink meal. Now the same meal is priced the same $ 5.75 but without the cole slaw. An instant 20 percent price increase by cutting back on ingredients.

Many of the other fast food establishments have taken the soft drink out of the meal and kept the price the same. Others have jacked up the price on soft drinks to almost $2 for unlimited refill, knowing most people won't drink that much.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM

58,989 posts, read 46,144,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I hear that Spam sales are heading way up.

ENJOY!
I was thinking more along the lines of increased coupon clipping buying bulk on sales, off-brands etc.....spam and I just don't get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics