Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2023, 06:47 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
No I’m going to disagree here. My girlfriend goes to a nail salon where the owners are from one of the Asian countries. Came here poor about 10 years ago and lived cheap and worked hard. They just bought their first home, 7500 sq ft. Part of making it work is learning the easier pathways. Your acquaintances did not. Most storefronts in downtown areas come with high overhead and regulations. Sometimes it’s better to pick another business.
I was at my local Asian restaurant last night. An extremely accomplished family runs it, 11 yrs in business, they started with nothing and now they own about 2.5mm in real estate, probably another 400K in cars. It was a 7 day a week grind, they recently dropped back to 6 days and guess what.........gross revenue didn't drop!

4 kids, I know for sure 3 are college graduates (2 have advanced degrees). 4 kids and mom/dad have all become US citizens (mom and dad did it in the last 2 years).

They work hard, the restaurant represents their family name as well as their livelihood. They are closed on Sunday, what do the sons do.........7am Sunday they literally dismantle the kitchen and do a deep cleaning! I swung by one Sunday to get some ice, filling a couple of big coolers. I got out of a brand new car (100 miles on it) and walked to the back door of the kitchen. He said just walk on the towels, I don't want footprints on the floor.

Despite what you see on youtube/instagram there is no substitute for hard work kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 06:55 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You mean the nextl $1.....not the first $1?
Yes since that’s how Tax Brackets work. In the example given the last dollar earned would be taxed at 22%. All the other dollars would still be taxed at 12%. The poster seemed to believe that the last dollar earned caused ALL earnings to be subject to a tax rate of 22% when filing. Nope.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:35 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes since that’s how Tax Brackets work. In the example given the last dollar earned would be taxed at 22%. All the other dollars would still be taxed at 12%. The poster seemed to believe that the last dollar earned caused ALL earnings to be subject to a tax rate of 22% when filing. Nope.
Right - thanks.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:43 AM

Every time bluesclues5 opens one of his, "America Sucks" threads whining about how the little guy can't get ahead etc. etc. I think of the donut shop owner in North Dallas who as a young man was set to be executed in one of Pol Pot's concentration camps. Long story short he escaped and then walked/ran across most of his country with no shoes.

Years on I'm sure he isn't rich but he has done well though hard work.

FWIIW I've more or less begged the guy to write a book. He has no interest.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:55 AM

2,310 posts, read 956,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I rented a Tesla 3 in California last month, I can see the allure for sure.

Nice choice on the GT4, I'd be happy with the GTS 4.0 7 spd, less boy racer with the wings/spoilers. I've got a 22 C4S cab now with a 23 911 GTS/4 7 spd already built, sitting at the factory waiting for me to pick it up.
I have a model Y. Interior is a little low rent and spartan, and build quality isn't the greatest but it goes like stink and is super spacious and high tech.

Give me manual or give me death. They make a Spyder if you want it to look a little more subdued (or they used to).

Old 03-29-2023, 08:04 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I think intelligence has a lot to do with generating wealth. You can’t get blood out of a stone.
Warren Buffett says that an IQ of 125 is all you need to be a successful investor. That's definitely above average, but not quite Mensa level. What made me successful was hard work, perseverance, living frugally, and saving & investing. And then there's faith: absolute faith in the long-term rise of the stock market.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Warren Buffett says that an IQ of 125 is all you need to be a successful investor. That's definitely above average, but not quite Mensa level. What made me successful was hard work, perseverance, living frugally, and saving & investing. And then there's faith: absolute faith in the long-term rise of the stock market.
Yea. But IQ125 is at the ~92nd percentile.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:05 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Spend less
Earn more
Save
Invest
Rinse
Repeat

Old 03-29-2023, 10:18 AM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 889,305 times
I think it is far easier to agree that among the ultra wealthy, or just quite well off people of the world, there are very few stupid people.

It's not zero because of inheritance. Or winning a big lotto. Or being a dictator. (though that might also require intelligence to pull off)

Would anyone argue that really stupid people are often wealthy? (yes, I know it's the internet, so of course somebody will, so I mean aware intelligent people)

Old 03-29-2023, 01:17 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Quote:
Interest rates and treasury yields have risen so a large portion of my investments and savings have been converted to high yield accounts. If I were poor, I would not be able to take advantage of the fed raising interest rates.
I have to say even if one can only buy 2 or 3 T-Bills a year it can be done. If you want to keep more than you spend you can do it.

I know several people whose wealth I could only envy if I were that type person. They worked hard, saved and invested, and now are in really good shape. But one thing I'll never understand about them is they seem to hate those who have more than they do because those more wealthy won't just walk out on the street and throw their money in the air. Please remember "poor" is a relative term.
How much do you give to orgs. like Salvation Army, Feed The Hungry, etc.? I think your perspective is like those who call people who claim various tax strategies as "cheaters" and "dodgers" but the gripers have no problem taking the standard deduction.

Many societies as a whole tend to forget we are the hopes and dreams of 100's of generations before us. It took thousands of years for us to get here and we hopefully will contribute to our lines just as our antecedents did getting us here. It doesn't have to be 10 million dollars to pass down. Maybe it is just teaching your offspring the power of work and frugality. Maybe better things don't happen to your line for several more generations but you don't quit trying and you shouldn't hold others back by having them be OK with not being self-reliant. In many ways we are much more than just us.

Last edited by amil23; 03-29-2023 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics