Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 04:06 AM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

I hope the quantity affected is not staggering.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/02/mcdona...otices-report/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 08:06 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
I can't imagine them doing this for a few people.

Probably a good idea from the company perspective to not have people in office.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:49 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Their ceo made comments a few months ago about too many options and things in the menu signaling he didn’t need all those people. Of course, he leveled it as some kind of obvious problem as if he’s not directly responsible for it. The true accountability will fall on others and not him either way.

Hopefully, people who are left see this kind of disgusting behavior for what it is, and make their own evaluations to punish the company by going elsewhere even if they’re “lucky” enough to stay.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:34 AM

290 posts, read 249,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Hopefully, people who are left see this kind of disgusting behavior for what it is, and make their own evaluations to punish the company by going elsewhere even if they’re “lucky” enough to stay.
I understand feeling this way, but I wonder if remote layoffs are the only safe way to do this anymore. Any large enough group is likely to have a few nutcases, and doing it via email (or zoom?) ensures they can't endanger anyone at the office.

At my workplace many years ago, a laid off employee returned, claiming to have bombs with him. It was a nightmare, trying to get everyone safe so police could subdue him. Turned out he was unarmed, but no one knew it at the time.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:03 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
McD’s corporate are weenies.
Lack of gumption yo cab face to face.
Using impersonal email.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:16 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
So they don't want them coming back into the office to shoot the place up or potentially plant explosives to destroy the buildings they own or lease? Fascinating. Prudent on their part. You don't want to let disgruntled employees back into the building once they're gone. Of course, locks only keep out honest people. If a person is determined to get revenge, they will.

Our system is stable enough for now, but at some future point, the rich from a historical perspective make the bottom 90% so unhappy from their greed that you get revolutions. It's happened before, it will happen again, if you want to look at this from a broad perspective as the middle class are priced out of the "American dream" increasingly not just in this country, but others as well.

Top and bottom continue sucking from the middle. Wealth continues to concentrate upward. It does this until the system is unsustainable then the type of "reset" you get ends up with the status quo having their heads mounted on posts and their wealth totally confiscated or destroyed. It will happen again. It's wired into our DNA.

Keep allowing private equity to buy up everything on the planet, and have a planet where a few corporations own everything. That will turn out well. Actually, it won't.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
This weekend I saw the smallest McDonalds and it probably looks like the future. It had 8 tables, one small area for the drinks and napkins, and then the smallest counter area/waiting space I have seen in a fast food restaurant. If 6 people were standing there it would be packed in. Enough space for one register and one small area to pick up food and one small shelf for online orders to be left. And by the one door in there were two ordering kiosks. I can only imagine this is the future of most fast food. I couldn't stand by the counter to see the kitchen but probably just 4 or 5 people working there.

If this is the future of McDonalds, you have to assume its the future of their corporate office as well. When you can't hire enough people to have a full staff, just reduce the size of everything you do.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:46 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Have the courage to hand notices out in person where you can. Discuss it with the staff.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:34 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Have the courage to hand notices out in person where you can. Discuss it with the staff.
Nah. I'd rather be fired by email....as long as I can skip the BS exit interview. Just send me my last check and we'll move on.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:59 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
E-mail works best, it's safer for everyone. Maybe include a couple BOGO coupons for a Big Mac as severance pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics