Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 01:46 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Perhaps, but only in the same sense that requiring stock brokers to pass a Series 7 exam is "government interference".

I get your joke, but only radical Libertarians are against all laws, and they are also against bailouts.
Not really. Pensions are a benefit. Employees who dislike the terms of the benefit are free to seek employment elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 06:43 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Fiduciary duty should always override it. Once the shareholders have been returned their maximum amount of wealth, then they can choose any cause they’d like.

And as you mentioned, decisions being made intentionally against financial interest causes distortions in the economy and Misallocation of capital.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:35 AM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Not really. Pensions are a benefit. Employees who dislike the terms of the benefit are free to seek employment elsewhere.
That's a very arrogant statement. I thought you were joking, but now I see that you were not.

A 20-year (or more) employee is supposed to pack up and start over just because a new fund manager takes over the pension plan?

Old 04-06-2023, 07:46 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Fiduciary duty should always override it. Once the shareholders have been returned their maximum amount of wealth, then they can choose any cause they’d like.

And as you mentioned, decisions being made intentionally against financial interest causes distortions in the economy and Misallocation of capital.
I'm telling you there is not an obligation to do this if the people running the pension fund can come up with some business reason not to make certain investments. Such a reason might be simply a belief that more money will be made for the pension in the long run by making different investments.

Courts don't like to second guess such decisions. They do not regard that as their role. Plus, if they interpreted this narrowly they would end up running every pension plan in the country. As long as a particular decision can be said to be within the "business judgment" of the directors of the pension fund, a court will not interfere with their actions based on an alleged breach of fiduciary duties or any other reason.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Is the opposition to ESG mandates about the idea or the performance?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:05 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm telling you there is not an obligation to do this if the people running the pension fund can come up with some business reason not to make certain investments. Such a reason might be simply a belief that more money will be made for the pension in the long run by making different investments.

Courts don't like to second guess such decisions. They do not regard that as their role. Plus, if they interpreted this narrowly they would end up running every pension plan in the country. As long as a particular decision can be said to be within the "business judgment" of the directors of the pension fund, a court will not interfere with their actions based on an alleged breach of fiduciary duties or any other reason.
I’m not saying you’re wrong from a legal perspective. I guess I’m saying it from my personal opinion of how I would consider to make decisions when I’m managing someone else’s money.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:59 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Some pension funds already follow political boycotts and biases in their investing without regard to their fiduciary responsibilities. So, ESG investing would likely follow.

TIAA-CREF, the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association and the College Retirement Equities Fund, is a financial organization that provides investment and insurance services for those working for organizations in the nonprofit industry in academic, research, medical, government, and cultural fields. This massive fund (Assets Under Management >$1 trillion) has been following BDS guidelines (The Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement works to end international support for Israel).

https://bdsmovement.net/news/major-u...al-fund-veolia
The government should not issue mandates like this. IMO, it does violate fiduciary responsibility. Although I had the option, I avoided investing any any TIAA product as I found a number of their products (mainly annuities) were difficult to understand.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:51 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
ESG investing is perfectly acceptable when the investors are making their own decisions with their own money on where and what to invest in.

Biden said in his veto message that ESG is good for investors. That's factually incorrect, as everyone agrees.
My belief is to let investors separate their politics from their finances. In other words I value investors for their financial acumen, not their good political feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A recent analysis by Bloomberg found that last year, ESG funds severely underperformed the market — in some cases by well more than 10%. In other words, if you bought the stocks that ESG funds sold, and sold the stocks that ESG funds bought, you’d have made a lot of money in recent years.

Academic evidence suggests ESG has cost the public billions of dollars of reduced returns on their retirement nest eggs.
Many of the investments that are highly ESG and SJ rated are, in business terms, "boondoggles." Solyndra was one that is quite well-known. My view is I don't want someone being generous with my money.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:46 PM

7,804 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Many of the investments that are highly ESG and SJ rated are, in business terms, "boondoggles." Solyndra was one that is quite well-known. My view is I don't want someone being generous with my money.
I've lost touch with Brian Harrison, recruited to become the CEO of Solyndra. He was an odd choice to become its CEO. He was a manufacturing guy and not a general manager type. He really didn't know much of anything about finance, innovation, product development, administration, marketing or sales. Just manufacturing.

When he was selected, most of us in Silicon Valley looked at each other with puzzled expressions. I liked his wife, although I must admit I found it difficult to look her in the eyes. Two of her other features were more, uh, outstanding.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:25 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Perhaps, but only in the same sense that requiring stock brokers to pass a Series 7 exam is "government interference".

I get your joke, but only radical Libertarians are against all laws, and they are also against bailouts.
Not at all correct - the series 7 licenses (or the series 6, 63, 65 and more) are not issued by the government, they are issued by FINRA - The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority - it is technically a private corporation that regulates members, brokerage firms and exchange markets. This is a self governing industry technically - with SEC oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics