Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:19 PM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Advertisements

The main result of the Student Loan Program Pause is that borrowers used the pause to take on more debt.

In 2020 payments on student loans were paused, initially for 3 months but then extended via executive action until June 30, 2023. This was a big program, at the time there were approximately 45 million student loan borrowers, with an outstanding balance of over $1.7 trillion. The main results of the program were that borrowers used the pause to take on more debt. From a new paper by Dinerstein, Yannelis and Chen:

Quote:
We evaluate the effects of the 2020 student debt moratorium that paused payments for student loan borrowers. Using administrative credit panel data, we show that the payment pause led to a sharp drop in student loan payments and delinquencies for borrowers subject to the debt moratorium, as well as an increase in credit scores. We find a large stimulus effect, as borrowers substitute increased private debt for paused public debt. Comparing borrowers whose loans were frozen with borrowers whose loans were not frozen due to differences in whether the government owned the loans, we show that borrowers used the new liquidity to increase borrowing on credit cards, mortgages, and auto loans rather than avoid delinquencies. The effects are concentrated among borrowers without prior delinquencies, who saw no change in credit scores, and we see little effects following student loan forgiveness announcements. The results highlight an important complementarity between liquidity and credit, as liquidity increases the demand for credit even as the supply of credit is fixed.

https://p.feedblitz.com/t3/1117534/1...247/w31247.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 04:01 AM

1,601 posts, read 865,016 times
I don't doubt it it all. Those people likely felt very flush not having to make that monthly outlay.

I personally only know one person affected by the pause, and to their credit they paid off their car note and socked away about $30k in savings and are ready to resume paying on their student loans as soon as they start back up. They also went back to school and finished their degree last year (paying cash for the new tuition), so there are some good Millennials out there.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The main result of the Student Loan Program Pause is that borrowers used the pause to take on more debt.

In 2020 payments on student loans were paused, initially for 3 months but then extended via executive action until June 30, 2023. This was a big program, at the time there were approximately 45 million student loan borrowers, with an outstanding balance of over $1.7 trillion. The main results of the program were that borrowers used the pause to take on more debt. From a new paper by Dinerstein, Yannelis and Chen:

https://p.feedblitz.com/t3/1117534/1...247/w31247.pdf

I've been saying they bought houses and other things because I read a few articles early on where they said they took on a mortgage. They all were counting on the student loan debt to be wiped clean at some point. They were saying they don't know how they'll survive if they have to continue to repay the student loan debt because they allocated that loan payment to something else instead of trying to put money away.

It does not surprise me they took on other debt too with their credit scores increasing.

I'm glad I'm not them, nor are my kids. My son's was paid off 10 years ago, a few years after he attended. His college was about $20k per year. I'm thankful he quit after three quarters. He found a career where they trained him.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:26 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Ha! Just as I had predicted they would do. Once student loan repayments start back up, these fools are going to get burned, and burned badly.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Most excellent.

Government: We're here to help.

Not.

I think I mentioned in a post about a year or so ago how the Millennials all ran out and bought houses during STUPID-19 so they don't have to live in mommy's basement.

I don't see the Court issuing a ruling until later, probably August or September, because it's going to be quite controversial whatever they rule.

Because the Court always weights public policy considerations, whenever they do issue their decision, the deferment will be extended for at least 90 days, maybe even 6, and possibly up to one 1 year, so they'll have some time to get their act together.

I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of bankruptcies.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:37 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Most excellent.

Government: We're here to help.

Not.

I think I mentioned in a post about a year or so ago how the Millennials all ran out and bought houses during STUPID-19 so they don't have to live in mommy's basement.

I don't see the Court issuing a ruling until later, probably August or September, because it's going to be quite controversial whatever they rule.

Because the Court always weights public policy considerations, whenever they do issue their decision, the deferment will be extended for at least 90 days, maybe even 6, and possibly up to one 1 year, so they'll have some time to get their act together.

I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of bankruptcies.
As I have said in another thread- the game of extend and pretend can only continue for so long.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 48,885 times
This is true. I paid minimal amount back and used the rest to further my education.

Then, I took on a bunch of credit card debt.

I am one of the dumb millennials.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:13 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwestside View Post
This is true. I paid minimal amount back and used the rest to further my education.

Then, I took on a bunch of credit card debt.

I am one of the dumb millennials.

If you increased your educational attainment that will increase your salary then okay. Just pay off your credit card. Go to confession and all is well.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:46 PM

4,379 posts, read 1,694,272 times
I paid off both cars, all my credit cards, a personal loan to paint my house, and refinanced my house.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:58 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I paid off both cars, all my credit cards, a personal loan to paint my house, and refinanced my house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics