Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times

Advertisements

I think the slowdown in Home Depot and Lowes is directly related to the slowdown in building we've seen the past few months. I once applied for a position in a security for one of the companies. They had already hired nine and needed one more. I bet security has been cut, too. I think they expect everybody to use the self-check lines for most purchases, but there are many who don't want to use them. I'm one of those in the "don't use'em category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
Customer Service Hall of Shame - MSN Money

Good article. It's a list of the top 10 companies with poor customer service. I thought it was almost exactly dead on as I have had problems with quite a few on this list myself
I certainly agree about Sprint. Despite all the consumer complaints against them, they were allowed to buy Nextel thanks to the Republican FCC and they managed to screw up that company and now they want to screw up TMobile next!

T-Mobile Parent Mulling Bid for Sprint Nextel - Newser

Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 PM

27 posts, read 101,980 times
I think alot of the Auto repair companies, like pepboys,procare,goodyear,and any dealership have the worst customer service, they get all your money, and then try and add stuff to it that doesn't have anything to do with the problem at hand.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
Most companies customer service is terrible. Its hit or miss.

I can't think of many companies with truely consistent customer service...where, if you walk into a Best Buy, Toys R Us, Costco, Radio Shack or you call a bank or credit card company. Where you get consistently good service. And you know what to expect.

I've gotten 10 or 15 calls in the last few months from Bank of America offering credit protection, or some insurance plan. I tell them they've already called, but they dont seem to get it. Then all the upsells and stuff, everyone has gone upsell crazy.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
ATT should never been allowed to start buying up the baby Bells. Cingular / Soutwest Bell overall was a good cell and phone company. They will do nothing now but go down since they have so little competion.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
I would add GoDaddy.com; they are horrible!

I agree with Sprint being on that list; I had a Sprint cell phone for 9 years...finally had to give them up!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
"where the beancounters are doing the usual "CUT PAYROLL!"
Yep, this is the reason, I decided to never ever again work at a big box retail job. The customers would get angry because of lack of staffing and take it out on YOU - who is making minimum wage.

Literally, when I worked I was making $3.75 per hour, in my dept. from 6-9pm they would only staff 2 people, one for the register and one for the floor. I don't know how many times people walked out cause there was like an 8 person line for the register. I used to have a line of people walking behind me on the selling floor waiting for me to get free to help them as I was the only one to help in that dept.

How much would it have cost the corp to staff one more floor person and one more register for 3 hours at 3.75 per hour?, I can guarantee that they would have made up that amount on just one sale that walked out disgusted due to lack of service.

I agree with sprint, we had a terrible experience with them.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
I'll go with Home Depot.

No one knows anything about the stuff they're selling. They don't know where anything is at and in my area, English is a second language for many of the employees. If you ask for something by its correct name (such as a thermocoupler used on gas appliances), you have to describe what it looks like since they don't know what you're talking about. I also don't like some of the merchandise they sell. To keep prices down, they sell a lot of c*** from China. I have had to go to plumbing and electrical supply places to get good quality items (not made out of plastic for example).

I refuse to go to Home Depot on the weekends because the lines at the cash registers are so long. There is usually 2 out of 10 registers open. And then there is the self-serve check out line where you scan your items. There is usually someone trying to scan a 4x8 sheet of drywall or some other big item

Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,159 times
Bank of America - Credit card department. They cancelled my card, trying to say somebody called to do it, never admitting that they goofed, issued another card which I refused to accept. All the communications with Bank of America including so called "managers" were absolutely useless.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM

201 posts, read 656,039 times
Thumbs down hey, I was there for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I'll go with Home Depot.

No one knows anything about the stuff they're selling. They don't know where anything is at and in my area, English is a second language for many of the employees. If you ask for something by its correct name (such as a thermocoupler used on gas appliances), you have to describe what it looks like since they don't know what you're talking about. I also don't like some of the merchandise they sell. To keep prices down, they sell a lot of c*** from China. I have had to go to plumbing and electrical supply places to get good quality items (not made out of plastic for example).

I refuse to go to Home Depot on the weekends because the lines at the cash registers are so long. There is usually 2 out of 10 registers open. And then there is the self-serve check out line where you scan your items. There is usually someone trying to scan a 4x8 sheet of drywall or some other big item
As a former employee who used to work for home depot (first as a cashier and then a head cashier), I have to agree. When money got tight in the company, they cut out people- sadly the people they "let go" were the highest wage earners- and thus the people who actually knew something about home repair. My favorite night was the night that I was supervising a shift, AND running the returns register (which, by the way, you can actually check out at), AND running the customer service desk (think special orders), AND I was left with the garden department, the paint department, and the flooring department-without being able to leave my register. Sadly, most of the people who have real questions need help AFTER they get off from their day job- in customer service you are supposed to be willing and ABLE to help the customer- if you can't, find someone immediately who can. Incidentally, a thermocoupler would be found in the plumbing section (near the water heaters) in older stores, and in both the electrical and plumbing in newer stores. Sadly, many big box stores have lost sight of their employees, who in turn feel no obligation to provide customer service to the customer- they get paid minimum wage with little or no benefits and the overall poor mood of the management does not help. As for me? I quit because despite the fact that I had provided excellent customer service and done quite a bit for the store- and they forced me to go push carts in from the lot on a BROKEN ankle (not easy with crutches). Customer service goes downhill when employers do not care about the employees- the employees feel like they owe nothing to the employer. Home Depot is bad...Comcast is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics