Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Granted. So is illegal immigration. Let's enforce our laws. I'm with you! Then our legal teens will have jobs.
I agree 100%. Not for nothing but, let Americans do those blue collar jobs the illegals have been doing. I am all for doing away with H1B visa as well. Let American's do these damn jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
So is illegal immigration. Let's enforce our laws. I'm with you! Then our legal teens will have jobs.
Yeah, I'm sure the teens are dying to work on the farms, construction and other back breaking work.

Teens look for temp work in the retail sector and as we know that sector is cutting jobs right now.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the teens are dying to work on the farms, construction and other back breaking work.
Hmmm, that's exactly the kind of work I did in summers all through my teen years until I graduated from college. I actually made enough money that I was able to pay for most of my college education and graduate without a student loan. I think back on those years and all that I learned from it every time I see all of the little teenage mall rats busily spending their parents' money rather than learning the value of work at a summer job.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Hmmm, that's exactly the kind of work I did in summers all through my teen years until I graduated from college. I actually made enough money that I was able to pay for most of my college education and graduate without a student loan. I think back on those years and all that I learned from it every time I see all of the little teenage mall rats busily spending their parents' money rather than learning the value of work at a summer job.
My late teen years/early adult years I did construction. So I agree those jobs are things that teens would not necessarily turn their noses up too (depending on their work ethic) and could definitely help them out.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Hmmm, that's exactly the kind of work I did in summers all through my teen years until I graduated from college.
I worked in a machine shop, but I was pretty much the only person I knew that was willing to do this sort of work. Even in my generation people weren't interested in this sort of work, but the college kids how are even worse. I'm sure some are still willing to do it though, it really depends on their work ethic/needs. But at least from my experience the vast majority of students think they are above such work and won't do it.

Anyhow, I always find it annoying when people pretend they are better than others because they paid their way in college. There is nothing wrong with having parents that are well off enough to pay for college.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
I agree with many of the above posters. In the seventies, upper middle class White kids detasseled corn in the fields for 14 hours a day in the hot and humid Midwest (not me, but my cousins--I lived in Oregon). Teenagers today would shun it not only because they are spoiled brats, but because you can't simultaneously detassel corn and have your fingers on your cell phone keypad texting your friends.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
What wine do you serve with "Steamed Teen" ?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
hmmm... lots of rants... but who's fault is it that teens these days shun the hard stuff? In our effort to give our children better lives and all that they want/need, we actually ended up harming them for the long run.

With a burgeoning economy it would of been fine... but in a slow down our kids won't know what to do. I for one will try not to spoil my kids... and teach them that hard work will always be in style. Just like my parent's taught me that you shouldn't ever take anything for granted.

-chuck22b

Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Not to turn this into a debate on immigration, but my son did get a great summer job when the illegals started to depart here in AZ.
Hey Motley, I have really noticed the difference. The "Wendy's" I frequent went totally teen's from my area in about a week. Funny how quick that worked. I was amazed. I didn't realize how many illegals were working there. I figured they were legal, but I guess not.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
We have a large Indian population flocking to DFW for the high tech jobs. I had a client recently tell me he could no longer afford to hire kids out of college because he can get the immigrants at half the price.

I'd like to see this type of immigration stopped also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics